"5 Ways Modern Men Are Trained To Hate Women"

Discussion in 'Politics, Philosophy, and Religion' started by I REALLY HATE PHASIANIDAE!, Nov 10, 2016.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

*Trained. Can someone edit the title, please? Thanks.

Link probably has some bad words and stuff: http://www.cracked.com/article_19785_5-ways-modern-men-are-trained-to-hate-women.html

In another topic TML linked to an article on Cracked which, toward the end, linked to another from the same site. I read through it and I got to a point where I was like, "okay, someone has to see this." I won't post the whole thing, it's huge, but #3 is where I lost it. I'll bold that part, please tell me everyone thinks this writer is insane:

This guy doesn't speak for all men like he thinks he does. I don't think many men would get mad over a woman being attractive to them unless they're mentally ill.

Has anyone here been mad at a woman because you found them attractive? If so, why? And what do you think of #3, or the article in its entirety (tell me you think it's insane, please, please, please).
    SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

I am a skeleton and this is racist.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

I stopped giving traffic to Cracked about a year ago because they so frequently used unbelievably bad sources to make huge points, particularly in those awful "X things you won't believe happened last week." Highlight was quoting RT saying NASA was hiding an image showing a mothership the size of Idaho, then running an article a few months later using that same story as the chief example of RT being too absurd for anyone to believe. At any rate, can only read what's posted here.

There's probably a reason for that. Some people definitely have this problem, and you only need to see how common the "temptress" is in older literature to see that it's nothing new, but I seriously doubt the average man is anywhere near as robotic as he seems to think.
    SKELETOR likes this.
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

Cracked is a humor site.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Facebook is social media.

Despite being written humorously it appears to have articles making serious points. At least TML seemed to think so when he linked to them.

I couldn't be more relieved if the article is a joke, trust me. It's a great parody of SJWs if so and I commend them.
    е и ժ е я

Cracked articles frequently start off semi-serious sounding and then kind of get progressively more unfounded and use a lot of hyperbole. Also, many of them are just written by the users and get promoted to a proper story based on popularity and editor review afaik.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

That makes sense. Explains the quality of them at least.
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha not selling misery Staff Member

...stopped visiting Cracked years ago.

David Wong remains one of my favourite authors, though. Any of you guys read 'Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits'? Like, what 'John Dies at the End' is to Lovecraft, FVaFS is to 'Snow Crash'. I can't recommend it highly enough.

(EDIT:Thread title fixed.)
    Kat in a Christmas Tree

Kat in a Christmas Tree Deep Fried and Bonafide

For those of you saying "not all men" :

Please call out other men that you see doing ****ty things to women. Don't be a bystander.

That's the only point I want to make I don't feel like giving Cracked my traffic
    Deku Tree

Deku Tree Awesome Current Events and PPR Mod Staff Member

I still dig Cracked articles. David Wong is typically the most insightful.
    ScottyMcGee

ScottyMcGee Super Lab Tech

I love Cracked for all the articles on missing people and creepy disappearances. It's what got me to join Websleuths.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

That's good advice, but I'd expand it to "call out anyone doing ****ty things to anyone."
    Kat in a Christmas Tree

Kat in a Christmas Tree Deep Fried and Bonafide

Yes, but this current discussion is about ****ty things done to women in particular. :wink:
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

The Amazing Tazy Ten Happy Dingergisbar! Supporter

Is it?

Cracked is all over the place, thanks in due part to the fact that they can just bring guest authors over and have them write anything they want. Which means that for every hilarious top five there's one made by someone with a loose grasp on humor.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Haha, nice try but not really true. The article is basically in itself a ****ty thing done to men, actually. It not only misrepresents but stereotypes men (it'd be one thing if everything said was pretty accurate, but it isn't), something everyone seems to dislike when applied to any other groups.
    е и ժ е я

I've had to send cease and desist over the uncredited and unpaid use of my artwork before, on Cracked. User submitted content is frequently crap. Their pro writers are definitely good, though. It's just like paying attention to any creator who is part of a larger machine - you can kind of tell that a Miyamoto game is going to be pretty solid but lack story content, for instance, but that's not necessarily the status for all Nintendo games. Cracked articles can definitely scrape the bottom of the barrel, like those awful self-playing stages in Mario Maker.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

^Which is a real problem for a site that devotes dozens of articles to criticizing other media and people that run stories with bad sources and fall for hoaxes. Heal thyself, Cracked editors.
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

No offence IRHP, but if Cracked says that ice is cold, you should go into your kitchen and check. Because chances are, they're joking.
    CaptHayfever likes this.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

The only rule seems to be that what they discuss is delivered in a humorous fashion, some articles at least seem to be telling the truth. Take this for instance, it's just a page about Star Wars. I'm pretty sure the article in the OP is supposed to be a legit SJW article wrapped in comedy. Or maybe not, whatever.