500 Scary Scenes from ALL Video Games

Discussion in 'Creepy & Unexplained' started by Valigarmander, Sep 8, 2014.

Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

403. Mario's burning animation (Mario vs. Donkey Kong)

[​IMG]

Mario's charred corpse, everyone.
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

Two parter, really - two moments in this edutainment game absolutely scared me as a kid.

404. Error 4-I mean the Eyes.JumpStart Adventures 4th grade: The Haunted Island

So. The entire game is... actually kinda scary for an audience of 4th graders. It's basically a defanged version of a survival horror game wherein you explore a haunted island straight outta Tim Burton and Henry Sellick's imagination trying to restore your cursed classmates. The game is divided into "missions" - you have to basically complete an actiity that Pomreeda (one of your few allies on the island - the others are neutral or hostile) assigns you.

Suppose you decide not to go accept a mission and just play a game. Completing it will bring this image

[​IMG]

Her voice will then say "Come to Pomreeda's to accept your challenge."

Seeing it suddenly come out of nowhere made me nearly scream.

405. RepsacJumpStart 4th grade: The Haunted Island

While walking around the island, you may, on occasion, get a jump-scare by Repsac.

[​IMG]

Here's the thing that made Repsac scary to an eight year old: He could appear anywhere on the island. In the labyrinth, he could appear THERE, too - when I wandered around the labyrinth and got lost, he appeared there.
    Sim Kid

406. The true antagonist (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

[​IMG]
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

407. Just Hangin' Around (Salt and Santcuary)
    [​IMG]

A 50ft humanoid fire-breathing robot decorated with rotting corpses that's also probably the hardest boss I've ever fought.

EDIT: Definitely didn't forget I was doing silly titles for this thread.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Sim Kid

408. The Totem Pokémon (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

The Totem Pokémon are powerful Pokés who you must fight on several occasions in Pokémon Sun and Moon, replacing gym leaders for the most part. They are basically super-sized versions of regular Pokés... many of which are evolved. Nothing shows you the pure size of one than Totem Lurantis.

[​IMG]

This is Lurantis - also the trainer who has the same "DUUUUUUUURRRRR" facial expression throughout most of the game. Note that according to the Pokédex entry, it is 2'11". That is clearly NOT 2'11".

Some are honestly just plain silly though - Totem Salazzle takes the cake. First off in tis trial, you must guess what is different than the two pictures after the Marowaks dance. First off, you get this.

[​IMG]

....then this.

[​IMG]

This left more people laughing.

Totem Vikavolt, however, is actually relatively scary. Mostly because the trial places you in the dark and you have to listen to sounds. Then at the very end, Vikavolt announces its presence with "HEEEEEEERE!". Kinda... freaky. The Vikavolt-cam shots before didn't help either.

Totem Mimikyu is built up as being scary... but it's so plain cliched that it comes off as more funny than this.

The next notable one is Totem Kommo-o then appears in Vast Poni Canyon. Kommo doesn't appear until you go right at the end.... and it's mentioned that it's watching you. Then all of a sudden, Fully-evolved-pseudolegendary coming RIGHT AT YOU!!

But that's not all.

The Ultra Beasts give the same aura as the totem Pokés... oh ****.... that leads to some weird implications that the Ultra Beasts may have mutated the totem Pokés.

And when you fight Motherbeast Lusamine... HER Pokés get that aura, too. But there is something else along with it. This image gives a very good side-by-side comparison to what ELSE Her Pokés got.

[​IMG]

On the left are her Clefable, Lilligant, and Milotic when you first fight her.... on the right is when you fight Lusamine as the Motherbeast. Note the differences in expression?

What's more, her team also consists of a Mismagius.... and a Bewear.

[​IMG]

Their expressions are unchanged... except Bewear looks DEAD. Its battle model looks LIFELESS. And consider that Bewear can break your back by mistake. Given that Bewear takes a LOT of abuse before going down... prepare to see a lot of it.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

409. Taking Notes (Firewatch)
    [​IMG]
    About halfway through Firewatch, you find a walky-talkie and a notebook filled with transcripts of your conversations before someone knocks you out from behind and takes both items. The sequence that follows sees you first trying (and failing) to get help from a controlled burn crew, then breaking in to a mysterious fenced area in order to figure out who is stalking you. There aren't any jump scares after the initial attack, but it's all incredibly tense.

I wasn't as big on Firewatch as a lot of people were, largely because the mystery ends with a bit of a fart, but I can't deny this part got to me. One of the only times I've had to quit a non-horror game until I could play it in daylight.
    Valigarmander likes this.
    Auron

Auron Plague Butt

^^If I had to pick any totem Pokemon moment that made me uncomfortable, it would be the totem Wishiwashi reveal.

[​IMG]

Granted, that might have a little bit to do with my irrational fear of most open water areas in video games.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

410. The Eyeball Scene (Harvester)

Harvester is already absurdly gory, but this scene in particular stands out, especially since it comes right out of the left field. Early in the game you'll witness a wasp battling a spider in your baby sister's crib; your sister will eat the spider. It later turns out that spider had wasp eggs inside it, because... well, here's a video if you're really curious.