1. New forums are up at http://www.vgf.com/phpBB3. You will need to use the forgot password feature to be able to login. If you do not receive the password reset e-mail, send me a PM.

Best Home Console Mario Kart

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Toad64, Dec 12, 2016.

?

Simple. What is the greatest MK game for a home console?

1. Super Mario Kart

4.3%
  2. Mario Kart 64

17.4%
  3. Mario Kart: Double Dash

39.1%
  4. Mario Kart Wii

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mario Kart Wii U

39.1%
    Toad64

Toad64 Active Member

Vote! This is my first post in.... years. Many years. I was 13 when I joined this place. I just turned 30.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

Welcome back, that's a big hiatus, haha.

I say Double Dash. I never played the Wii one but I doubt it can hold a candle to DD if even MK8 can't.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

DD > 8 > SNES >>>> Wii > 64

In fairness to 8, I've only played it using a Wiimote and nunchuck. It's probably much better with a less terrible controller.
    SKELETOR likes this.
    Random User

Random User Overlord of Evil

Gotta go with 8. It held me like no other Mario Kart could, aside from Double Dash!

Double Dash! had a really unique and fun concept, plus the smaller tracks were a bit more chaotic, but 8's visuals and abundunce of content, plus online play kinda give it the leg up imo. Sad about Battle Mode, a little, but I never really cared for it that much.
    Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Does Diddy Kong Racing count?

I voted for the SNES one. I haven't played one this century because they are too damn expensive.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

WELCOME BACK MATE

I think MK8 is the best overall, with its online multiplayer and amazing visuals. I love MK64 too for nostalgia purposes.
    UNder the Mistletoe likes this.
    Heroine of the Dragon

Heroine of the Dragon Faerie ♥☆♥ Marshmallow Administrator Staff Member

YAYYYYY Welcome back, Toad!! I'm so happy you return... *gives you marshmallows*

I voted DD!! I haven't played the Wii or Wii U versions. :D
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. Welcome back!

8 is easily my favorite Mario Kart game. It's so clean. Awesome music, great retro courses, fantastic new courses, solid online, some of the best DLC I've seen. It's great.
    Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

Double Dash. I never owned the Wii or Wii U versions so even if they were better, I didn't have access to them so I didn't play them as much and therefore didn't get as much enjoyment from them.

I love Double Dash so much. I loved playing as totally random combinations of characters. BOWSER AND TOADETTE, WHY THE **** NOT???

....fond, fond memories of 64 as well, but DD was definitely an improvement in most regards.
    Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

After playing Double Dash so many times, I legitimately thought "oh man how can the series top this???".

...And they never did.

:frown:
    Red and I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! like this.
    Marilink

I must be in the vast minority in thinking that DD is one of the worst in the series. I rarely, rarely see people share that opinion.

Like, it's still good, but it's like bottom 3 for me. Maybe bottom 2.
    CaptHayfever likes this.
    Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

What vexes you about Double Dash, Mr. Linkio?

As usual, I like to have an open mind about these things and see the reasoning behind rare opinions.
    Marilink

Please, please. Mr. Linkio is my father.

Some of these reasons are more subjective than others:
    • I can't stand the fact that it's the only MK game that doesn't have the hop before the drift. The only one! I don't play DD very much, because if I opt for old Mario Kart I'll always pick 64 or Super; so when people bust out DD and want me to play, I just can't function because my turns are all off.
    • The music is quite bad. If it weren't for Rainbow Road's music, the whole game would be better on mute.
    • The character voices are all very annoying and in-your-face, as well. This was the first time they really went overboard in this area.
    • The courses aren't very great, and if I'm going to play any DD course, I prefer their retro versions in future games.
    • This game introduced Baby Park, which now has implanted its terrible 5-second loop music into my brain at the very mention of it. I hate this course so much. And it has returned several times, too! Baby Park is so RNG heavy and chaotic that it makes any hope of gold-trophying that particular Grand Prix (in any game it appears) basically a matter of luck.
    • The double character thing just strikes me as gimmicky. It doesn't add anything mechanically, and it makes certain characters that I like objectively worse than characters I don't like because the special items are not well balanced. My favorite characters are Koopa and Paratroopa, but...3 shells? Really?
    • The two-player co-op was also imbalanced in terms of who is enjoying themselves. If I ever got saddled with the Items job, I had to rely more on the terrible driver's positioning and skill than on anything I was able to do. Being passive in an active game is not my idea of fun.
    • King Boo and Peter Piranha were terrible roster additions. And the Babies weren't great, either.
    • This isn't a very good reason, admittedly, but everyone else's tendency to gush over this game as if it were the pinnacle of Mario Kart achievement just makes me dislike it more. As far as I can tell, the only reason people go to bat for this game so much is purely out of nostalgia (and my nostalgia is directed more at Super, 64, and DS) . I'm interested to see if you have any other reasons?
    That's all I can think of for now. I might think of some more later.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

Likewise. In 3P or 4P, I can barely even see where I'm going (much less manage the switching). None of the other MK games I've played have that problem.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

Double Dash did go overboard with the voice clips. Granted, this was the era when Nintendo still had huge boners over making their characters never shut up. Also, I'm surprised this was the game that made you hate babies; I always figured MK8 had the honor of instilling that feeling in anyone.

Also, I'll take Petey and King over Pink Gold Peach any day of the week.

The top reason DD is my jam is since there are two riders per kart, you get two item slots, which opened up a lot more strategy on the track with managing reserves and when to unload them. But since Mario Kart Switch seems to be bringing that mechanic back for normal karts, it may just usurp Double Dash as my new favorite installment.
    Toad64

Toad64 Active Member

I'm flattered if you actually remember me.
    Since I've taught my 3 (now 4) year old to play MK8 and actually beat a few players online doing it, I might have to lean that way for pride's sake. Unfortunately my other Little seems to have scratched that disc and it won't load. 15 year old me would be horrified. 30 year old me will hope it's fixable or fork over the dough for another copy someday.
    Heroine of the Dragon likes this.
    Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

TIL a 4-year-old is better than me at MK8 online

brb crawling into a garbage can because i am also garbage :indifferent2:
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha serves as great comic relief Staff Member

^^Look for a shop in your area that does disc resurfacing. Some used game/dvd/cd shops offer it as a paid service (typically costs three-to-five bucks, takes ten minutes or so). Some Gamestops got disc resurfacing machines---------maybe next time you patronise a GS, you could ask if they have one, or know who might.
    Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

ML, you're entitled to your opinion, but it's a bad opinion.

(I'll grant you the music and character voice-overs, but that's it.)

Baby Park is incredible to me. By the last lap you have giant bowser shells and bullet bills flying around everywhere, bananas around every turn, green shells zooming over from the opposite end of the course - it is utter chaos. You don't get that kind of insanity in any other course, and I find it a lot of fun. It being chaotic and "RNG-heavy" is a huge plus for me, because you literally never know what **** is gonna go down. It's just 6 (8?) laps of YOLO. Mario Kart is the only racing game where you get this kinda ridiculous ********, in fact IMO this ridiculous ******** is what makes Mario Kart what it is, and this level strips it down to NOTHING BUT THE RIDICULOUS ********. It's the most fun party level hands down.

The double roster additions are also easily the best part of the game. I'll never have to choose between picking my 2 fave characters if I get to pICK BOTH, plus like I said I just like pairing totally random characters with Bowser. There is technically an added strategy to getting 2 different characters' bonus item, but that never factored in for me, I just love playing as 2 faves at once.

OK, and, like???????? LITERALLY HOW ARE PETEY AND KING BOO BAD ROSTER CHOICES, they're characters from popular and recent games that haven't gotten the spotlight in other group Mario games and that aren't just Mario or Peach re-skins. That's what we should want from roster choices. (Granted, I'd like to see PM/TTYD partners on the roster too, but I'm not gonna complain about other fresh characters.) One of my best friends plays DD almost exclusively because he loves Petey Pirahna and that's the only game he gets to play as him.

I get that people gushing over it makes you like it less, though. That's kind of how I feel about Thousand-Year Door... love that game to death, but won't pretend PM64 isn't always gonna be my forever girl. Every time someone ****s on 64 to talk about TTYD I get more salty. But for me, Double Dash was the only installment that did what it did - it deviated from MK norms and those deviations were fun - and if you don't like it, that's fine, but IMO there's nothing wrong with the fact that it tried to do new and fresh things with the series. To change up the gameplay. Like, I honestly don't feel like I need to own any more MK games, because I'm satisfied with DS/64 as far as single-player "traditional" Mario Kart goes - recent installments don't introduce enough new things for me to want to buy them - and I have DD if I want to dig the double-character goodness.

Now, MK8 is a different story because you get to play as Link. TALKING about excellent roster additions and adding new fun things.......... but I don't own a Wii U, so that's a moot point.