Best/worst comic strips.

Discussion in 'Movies, Television, and Animation' started by VG_Addict, Mar 20, 2017.

VG_Addict

VG_Addict Active Member

What are the best comic strips, in your opinion? The Worst comic strips?
    Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

BCDE is the worst by far.
    CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

Off the top of my head....

Best:
    Calvin & Hobbes
    Pearls Before Swine
    Fireflower (RIP)
    Hark A Vagrant
    XKCD
    Non Sequitur
    The Far Side
    Bloom County/Outland/Opus

Worst:
    Mutts
    The Oatmeal
    Mutts again
    Adam4d
    Mark Trail
    Brenda Starr
    Cathy

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    I am nobody likes this.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

^I've never heard of Fireflower, Hark A Vagrant, or Bloom County, but the rest of your best is exactly what I'd have said. If we're counting webcomics, (and I guess we are since XKCD is there?) then I'll add Awkward Zombie and Let's Speak English!

Worst:
    The Family Circus
    Blondie
    Mutts

There are a lot of other strips (Mark Trail, Cathy, whatever that "Love is" one is called) that I actively dislike, but not they're not on the seemingly deliberately unfunny level of those three.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

I haven't read newspaper comics in ages, apart from the (amazing) Calvin & Hobbes collection I own. I remember liking FoxTrot, Pearls Before Swine, and Get Fuzzy. I know there were comics I hated, but I can't remember any.
    Yeah well you're just a BIG JERK.
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha johnny-not-on-the-spot Staff Member

Well, there aren't really any newspaper comics I like no more. 'Dilbert' is pretty good. Also 'Calvin and Hobbes', 'Peanuts' and 'The Far Side'.

Does 'Mad' count? I really like the old 'Mad', like, from the sixties. Also the version of 'Mad' that existed when I was a kid. Nowadays 'Mad' is kind of garbage. Writing really crapped out when I was in high school (the Fundalini pages are sh*t content for toddlers) (not to mention all the dang ads-------------like thirty pages of ads for DC Entertainment in every issue. Like that's what I'm reading 'Mad' for, right).

Webcomics? 'Daisy Owl' is great. 'Oglaf', too. (EDIT: Forgot 'Creased Comics', 'Girl Genius' and 'Chimneyspeak'.)
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Sonic 5

Sonic 5 Not Actually a Sonic Fan

It's been a while since I've read a newspaper. At my university, they gave out free copies of the local newspaper daily, so I actually read a lot of newspaper strips and articles. Also discovered my love of word jumbles that way.

Anyway, I remember always hating For Better or For Worse, The Argyle Sweater, B.C., Hi and Lois, and Baby Blues. Basically anything that was one panel or generally about how being a parent sucks. I think it also goes without saying that Family Circus is a plague that needs to be driven from the Earth.

I generally liked the more juvenile and "funny" strips like Beetle Bailey, Wizard of Id, Zits, and Foxtrot. There was one about a dog that was sort of square shaped? Can't remember the name of it, but I liked it.
    My Potions Are Too Strong For You Traveller

My Potions Are Too Strong For You Traveller Supermod Staff Member

family circus is total garbage

I loved the Perry Bible Fellowship and Gunshow Comic