Best/worst comic strips.

Discussion in 'Movies, Television, and Animation' started by VG_Addict, Mar 20, 2017.

VG_Addict

VG_Addict Active Member

What are the best comic strips, in your opinion? The Worst comic strips?
    Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

BCDE is the worst by far.
    CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

Off the top of my head....

Best:
    Calvin & Hobbes
    Pearls Before Swine
    Fireflower (RIP)
    Hark A Vagrant
    XKCD
    Non Sequitur
    The Far Side
    Bloom County/Outland/Opus

Worst:
    Mutts
    The Oatmeal
    Mutts again
    Adam4d
    Mark Trail
    Brenda Starr
    Cathy

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    I am nobody likes this.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

^I've never heard of Fireflower, Hark A Vagrant, or Bloom County, but the rest of your best is exactly what I'd have said. If we're counting webcomics, (and I guess we are since XKCD is there?) then I'll add Awkward Zombie and Let's Speak English!

Worst:
    The Family Circus
    Blondie
    Mutts

There are a lot of other strips (Mark Trail, Cathy, whatever that "Love is" one is called) that I actively dislike, but not they're not on the seemingly deliberately unfunny level of those three.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

I haven't read newspaper comics in ages, apart from the (amazing) Calvin & Hobbes collection I own. I remember liking FoxTrot, Pearls Before Swine, and Get Fuzzy. I know there were comics I hated, but I can't remember any.
    Yeah well you're just a BIG JERK.
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha that fangle-toothed freako Staff Member

Well, there aren't really any newspaper comics I like no more. 'Dilbert' is pretty good. Also 'Calvin and Hobbes', 'Peanuts' and 'The Far Side'.

Does 'Mad' count? I really like the old 'Mad', like, from the fifties. Also the version of 'Mad' that existed when I was a kid. Nowadays 'Mad' is kind of garbage. Writing really crapped out when I was in high school (the Fundalini pages are sh*t content for toddlers) (not to mention all the dang ads-------------like thirty pages of ads for DC Entertainment in every issue. Like that's what I'm reading 'Mad' for, right).

Webcomics? 'Daisy Owl' is great. 'Oglaf', too. (EDIT: Forgot 'Creased Comics', 'Girl Genius' and 'Chimneyspeak'.)
    Sonic 5

Sonic 5 Not Actually a Sonic Fan

It's been a while since I've read a newspaper. At my university, they gave out free copies of the local newspaper daily, so I actually read a lot of newspaper strips and articles. Also discovered my love of word jumbles that way.

Anyway, I remember always hating For Better or For Worse, The Argyle Sweater, B.C., Hi and Lois, and Baby Blues. Basically anything that was one panel or generally about how being a parent sucks. I think it also goes without saying that Family Circus is a plague that needs to be driven from the Earth.

I generally liked the more juvenile and "funny" strips like Beetle Bailey, Wizard of Id, Zits, and Foxtrot. There was one about a dog that was sort of square shaped? Can't remember the name of it, but I liked it.
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

family circus is total garbage

I loved the Perry Bible Fellowship and Gunshow Comic
    SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Member

I Looovve Calvin & Hobbes, Non Sequiter, Far Side, and Bloom Country

Its been a while since I read Pearls Before swine, but I seem to recall the art style being really bland. Jokes were funny, so I guess that makes up for it?

I thought Cathy was okay during its run. Maybe I'm actually a sad, middle aged, white lady in disguise since that was basically Cathy's target audience.
    Erniewan

Erniewan Bird Enthusiast

Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

My favorites (and biggest influences to my work) are Calvin & Hobbes, Foxtrot, Far Side, and Bizarro. I really don't read much webcomics, though.

Also I must confess: I probably wouldn't be drawing if it weren't for Garfield. Yeah, nowadays it's trite, redundant, ironically memey garbage, but back in the day that comic actually had soul before the dollar signs completely took over. Reading old Garfield books sculpted my ideas for comic strip formatting as a whole.

On the flip side, I think reading Marmaduke when I was young sculpted my cynicism. Like, in general.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

...I still like Garfield.
    Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan I am in great pain; please help me. Staff Member

i prefer gazorpazorpfield