Breath of the Wild: The Absolutely Necessary Release Thread

Discussion in 'The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?' started by X-3, Mar 2, 2017.

monstrman

monstrman I do things

Travelling through time at one second per second
    I'm already like 70% done with everything in the game

I agree with TML this is one of my top 3 all time games
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Mar 13, 2017 ---
    Well, I mean yeah
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

^TML is just trying to talk himself off the ledge because he knows deep down the completionist within him desires to get all the Korok seeds regardless of the viability of that idea.
    The Missing Link

The Missing Link Professional Lurker Staff Member

That's exactly it.

Like I never got the 100 Golden Skulltulas or the 60 Poes Souls or whatever because they're stupid and they're not that helpful. I just want to feel good about "100%ing the game" by whatever definition that works for me. :tongue:

And good lord, All Dungeons is three freaking hours???

... how?

Wait, I don't know if I want to know. At least not until I've taken down Calamity Ganon.
    SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

I'm pretty sure I used that infinite money at the end of TP to power the money armor during the final battle. Better than OoT, where I simply didn't need the Rupees for anything aside from buying out all the Bombchus.
    Marilink

I'm avoiding any videos or strategies, just checking out the times occasionally. When you beat the game, let me know and I'll send you a link.
    My Potions Are Too Strong For You Traveller

My Potions Are Too Strong For You Traveller Supermod Staff Member

That both ruins and makes the game.

At the end of Morrowind I was so rich from gaming the economy that I made a suit of magic armor that constantly healed me infinitely.
    SKELETOR likes this.
    The Missing Link

Ganon is dead. Glory be unto Hyrule.

19 shrines to go. (11 still to find.)
    Memories finished.
    Who cares about Korok seeds?
    So much armour to obtain and upgrade
    Still so many sidequests.
    One Great Fairy to free Boy, is this stuff expensive!.
    Heroine of the Dragon likes this.

I like Korok seeds because I like that they came up with a rational way to reward excessive exploration of miniscule things and made little real-world puzzles and challenges that aren't forced as they usually are in 3D Zeldas. Also, I like item slots. My god, are more item slots a good reward. Still, I wish that fat korok dude was easier to keep track of, I have like 90 seeds and he up and leaves after I trade .5 of them.

I have to remember to take a photo of that jerk next time I see him, too.

I haven't been using the Sheikah sensor thing because I don't like sound prompts like that, it's not subtle enough for me and that makes it annoying. Beside that, I like finding/exploring things more naturally. So it will take me longer to actually clear the game but I'll have a pretty good time doing it anyway.
    Marilink

I've finished the Zora and Gerido areas, currently meandering my way up to the Rito. ...emphasis on meandering, as always.

At one point I had 17 spirit orbs and I just didn't have the drive or feeling to fast travel to a place to turn them in. /shrug
    VG_Addict

VG_Addict Active Member

I'm tempted to buy a Switch just for Zelda, but I have enough consoles as it is.

I'm really enjoying the North East part of the map quite a bit, it's every bit what I expect from a Zelda world.
    Marilink likes this.
    Softguitar

Softguitar I'm not a cat.

Beat all the beasts, got the Master Sword, filled out the map and now exploring and discovering temples. Love this game.
    Marilink

I just filled out the whole map, finished the Rito area, and I'm heading to Death Mountain. I want to see if I can find the 3 memories that I'm missing before heading to the Lost Woods, but I'm really struggling.

I don't really play in a way that would allow me to be finished yet, what with just climbing stuff and running on foot everywhere and just scouring the ground from top to bottom as I go. I'm getting some much more powerful gear and can take on the guardians pretty easily, though.
    SKELETOR likes this.
    The Missing Link

For clarity, I didn't say I didn't like the Korok seeds (though I do find the Koroks slightly annoying XD). It's really me just saying I'm not going out of my way to collect them.

I have never once used it to detect anything but shrines. Except for that stupid tutorial they make you do when you upgrade to the Sheikah Sensor+.

I recommend it.

---

My favourite parts of Hyrule are Akkala, the jungly area in the southeast, and the Gerudo Desert. Zora's Domain is pretty sweet too.

Hebra is not that fun though. :tongue: Maybe I just need to shield-surf more.
    Marilink

I really like Akkala. Probably my favorite region, I don't see what else could top it. The colors are beautiful and it's just dangerous enough to be very exciting.

Found 2 of the 3 memories, and I know sort of where the third one is. It'll also be the hardest to get. Wish me luck.
    The Missing Link

Marilink

Correct.

Got 'em all. I'm regretting not doing Death Mountain first, because I just wanna storm the castle now. (And the memory-collection quest ending kinda assumes that you're ready to end the game, so now I feel bad for dawdling...)

Anyway, it's amazing that this game, which opts for "gameplay over story," also has the best and most compelling Zelda story to date. People have been complaining (justifiably) that the Zelda formula's narrative-focused progression has been suffocating; well, BotW's brilliance in storytelling-combined-with-gameplay-focus has all but proven those people right.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    X-3

X-3 The Wurst Member Staff Member

I've come to like the breakable weapon system. Not in a "beautiful, every game should have this" but in a "necessary evil" kind of way. It keeps you looking for new equipment even if what you have already is pretty good. I also feel like the occasional mini-boss fights on the field serve as good incentive to actually use your bigger sticks, because the difference between them and +1 Junior Bat is staggering.

Durability Gauge would be nice though, because right now it's "broken weapon soon" "oh really, when" "NOW"
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

It's part of the mechanics balance, I think it could be improved but it works for me. It encourages the player to be considerate with their resources and therefore more tactical, but it's not as though you can't just get another stick anywhere. Part of what works is that it encourages weapon swapping in combat, kind of like in Doom. It also makes damage dealt a valuable commodity and so the meal/elixers are then made worthwhile, which emphasizes the scavenging/gathering gameplay aspect and therefore directs everything back to rewarding exploration.
    The Missing Link likes this.