Diminishing returns.

Discussion in 'General Gaming - Ten Hut!' started by VG_Addict, Jun 17, 2017 at 7:43 AM.

VG_Addict

VG_Addict Active Member

Do you think that we're experienced diminishing returns in graphics in video games? I mean, it seems the difference in graphics gets smaller and smaller every generation.

I don't think we're ever going to get another huge gap in graphics like we did between the 4th (SNES/Genesis) gen and the 5th (N64/PS1/Saturn).

What do you think?
    Random User

Random User Overlord of Evil

We still have a ways to go, in my opinion. I mean, we're still using polygons to model.
    Microphone_Kirby

Microphone_Kirby Paranoid

Yeah, I think Diminishing the XP returns in RPGs are an interesting way to say to the player: HEY! GET ON WITH IT!

Wait.... we're talking about Graphics? Why should we care? :\
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

i think the improvements being made to graphics are a lot different. like i think we're past the point where more polygons and higher-res textures are going to make that much of a difference. what's changing instead is that consoles are now powerful enough for things like advanced lighting engines and rendering enormous areas with lots of things in them at once, and that's where the spectacle is coming from.
    Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan I am in great pain; please help me. Staff Member

basically what dz said

though we're getting to a point where a lot of games i've seen are straight up uncanny valley. i can't think of the names of the games i saw during e3 but there were a few times where i was like "oh **** that looks horrifying"
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

^The latest Mass Effect might as well have been subtitled Mass Effect: The Uncanny Valley
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

3D graphics peaked at Super Mario 64. Everything has been downhill since then.
    Marilink and Random User like this.
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

The Amazing Tazy Ten Happy Dingergisbar! Supporter

^I see you misspelled Star Fox there, friendo.

I agree with DZ pretty much. It's eventually gonna be under the hood stuff and the graphics of a game will become more down to the competency of the developers and not the limitations of the system. Or we could try to chase that realism flag forever and ever. That'll be fun, right?
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

I think we've technically hit the point of diminishing returns in the sense that, VR potentially aside, it's basically impossible to top the impact of transitioning to 3D.

That said, there's still plenty of room for very noticeable improvements. Off the top of my head, moving hair, true snow accumulation, rain/liquid runoff, physically correct wind, and correct global illumination/reflection are still rarely even attempted. Other things like drinking animations and dense crowds are frequently done badly, and you can always make background textures and draw distances better.
    Marilink likes this.
    ScottyMcGee

ScottyMcGee Super Lab Tech

I think the next big thing that will sweep everybody off their feet will pretty much be VR. But not the dorky headset type of VR - I mean like Star Trek's holodeck kind of VR, or even some Matrix ****.

Until then, it's just how much clearer you can see that hairy mole on that one guy's cheek. In HD. Then in HD 4K. Then HD 4K 3D.
    Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan I am in great pain; please help me. Staff Member

bubsy 3d bitj
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

Personally I hope this means people go more for stylization. Because games with attractive artstyles age well.

Games that try to be realistic, well....

[​IMG]