1. New forums are up at http://www.vgf.com/phpBB3. You will need to use the forgot password feature to be able to login. If you do not receive the password reset e-mail, send me a PM.

Do I cut my losses?

Discussion in 'Pokemon: Alola' started by Nomyt, Jul 31, 2017.

Nomyt

Nomyt The One and Only Staff Member

So since completing the Pokedex on Moon, I decided to carry on as a Shiny Hunter. I decided to try and get a shiny pokemon to make a kind of Shiny Living Dex. I got Rowlett and Litten within a month of getting the Shiny Charm, and by using the Masuda Method. So even though it's a rubbish shiny I decided to go for Popplio....and now 7 months later I'm still hatching Popplio eggs!

It shouldn't be taking this long. I'm extra careful before releasing Popplios to check for shinies. (Slightly darker Blue blue bits, and slightly whiter white bits.)
    Do I just stop now? I hatch at least 35 eggs a day, sometimes more, and it's getting ridiculous. Although, hasn't taken as long as Axew. (That took me at least a year, but that was without SC.)

Should I breed Caterpi, Grubbin, or keep with Pops?
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

Shiny Living Dex is nothing short of insane, I'm afraid. Just think--to do Shiny Living, you'll have to not only hatch Popplio eggs for eternity...you'll have to hatch Popplio eggs for three eternities.

I'd say it's a little too ambitious. Don't want to kill your love of the game, y'know?
    X-3

X-3 _____<|0-0|>_____ Staff Member

Just inject it ;^)
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha serves as great comic relief Staff Member

If it isn't fun for you, if there's no end in sight, and if you're mainly doing it because "well, I've come this far", then you should stop now. Investing loads of extra effort into what you've called a 'rubbish shiny' isn't going to make it more worth having in the end.
    Random User

Random User Overlord of Evil

You already started, now you got finish
    Nomyt likes this.
    Nomyt

I decided to only get one shiny from each family at a time, so I'm not going to get all three at once as that will driving me crazy. But it's like. I don't really know what else to do on Moon until usumo comes out. Battle tree, and the Battle Royal don't really interest me. I'm not into breeding for the perfect IVs and natures. I do like shiny hunting, and like I said, Axew took me over a year to hatch, but I didn't play it constantly like I am with Moon. So I'm kind of not surprised that Axew took me longer to get.

This is true, but also a living shiny dex will look weird if it only has shinies that I like.

I've heard SOS battling is great for some shiny pokemon, I may try for Caterpie and Grubbin with SOSing and see how I do with that for a month. Then either go back for breeding, or do SOSing for a few others.
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha serves as great comic relief Staff Member

Who will it look weird to?
    Nomyt

The internet when I go to claim bragging rights.

Soo, I've decided to rest from Popplio eggs for a little bit, and move onto the new breeding attempt. I'm going for Caterpie. Already hatched over 61 eggs, however while hatching, I've ran into not one, but two Shiny Growlithes. So as soon as I evolve one of them dudes, that's the Growlithe line done in the Shiny Dex done. :D
    Heroine of the Dragon likes this.
    Nomyt

Caterpie got in 223 eggs. Popplio just hates me, also got a shiny Magnemite. :thumbsup:
    Heroine of the Dragon

Heroine of the Dragon Faerie ♥☆♥ Marshmallow Administrator Staff Member

Yayyyy well done, Nomyt!! *gives you Pokemon marshmallows* :D
    Nomyt likes this.
    Marilink

Are you doing Masuda for everything, or are you going to try your hand at chaining?
    Nomyt

I'm looking into chaining. I think I might try for some of the fishing spots. But it's like if I go into SOSing, the less time I spend hatching Eggs. I only get to play for an hour or so a day, and I've heard that SOSing can take over a couple of hours to find shinys.
    Marilink

^I guess that's true. I SOS chained one shiny, and it was super easy and, in my one experience, relatively quick. But it could conceivably take much longer than it did for me.
    Nomyt

^ Got Shiny Grubbin on my 50th egg. I think Popplio just hates me, or shiny popplio doesn't exist.