How long does retro go?

Discussion in 'Retro Games' started by VG_Addict, Dec 31, 2015.

Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

I've never really changed my stance on what is retro even as the years go by. NES and SNES and Sega games from that era. I could see maybe lumping N64/PS1 into the category, though. The point about PC games contributing to a cut off seems like a fair one.

I'm not sure the last time I saw a pay phone, and it has to be 20 years since I actually last used one. 1.5 billion more people have access to cell phones than toilets. If pushed to decide, a lot of people who have both would probably choose phones. If you ever have a problem, someone will probably let you borrow one, unless the problem is lack of service in the area, but businesses still generally use landlines that they will probably let you use. Unless they are jerks. I remember once I was running through the rain after my car had broken down, and the gas station refused to let me use a phone.
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

It depends on when new technology creates changes in how games are made to such an extent that new genres and methods of design displace the old ones, so to be considered 'current' a game would then have to pursue those new trends. This could happen again but so far it's only happened a few times.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 1, 2016, Original Post Date: Jan 1, 2016 ---
    Well they're easy to find anywhere like an airport or travel hub.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 1, 2016 ---
    The new ones accept bills and cards.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    ScottyMcGee

ScottyMcGee Super Lab Tech

I read somewhere that every city or town is legally required to have at least one pay phone. For emergencies I guess. Smartphones are cool until they die in 30 minutes from 100% to 5%. Heh.

It's funny though. When I DO see someone on a pay phone I automatically think something sketchy is going on.
    Wicked Witch of the Crest

Wicked Witch of the Crest The Betrayer A.K.A. Chaos Deviot

I normally would say 2 systems back, but they're putting Wii games on the VC. ._. I'd still say the N64 is retro by this point, or will be as soon as they can make Retrons for it. :tongue:
    Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

I used to be adamantly opposed to counting GC/PS2/Xbox as "retro" because they still feel so recent, but I think I'm starting to consider them that way now. You can't find the games in a lot of stores anymore, the consoles have matte rather than sleek finishes (I don't know why but this dates them somehow? Like, console finishing texture aesthetics have changed or something and it kind of marks a change in era), idk. I'm warming up to the idea.
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

^Scale and budget have changed how games are made since then and for which audiences. I think it's fair to say that GCN Nintendo isn't especially different from current, but 3rd party has shifted to broader sandbox genres with an emphasis on context-relative systems which were not really possible before, such as the climbing and parkour elements of Asscreed.

Nintendo has stopped really experimenting with things like camera mechanics, and taken a more function before form stance where simplicity is emphasized, and 'gameyness' is celebrated or better accepted.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

I can't count PS2 as retro just yet. It still had games up until a few years ago and was sold in stores. Dreamcast is a different situation, a bit older and didn't stick around as long.
    Membou

Membou Member

I agree that generally retro is going to be a relative term. I think the question should be "what does retro mean to you?", and that's where you'd see a lot of interesting responses. Right now, I feel like the PS2 is just on the edge of retro, and will probably be the case once VR starts becoming a larger force in the industry. There was such a huge jump between PSX and PS2 level graphics, though.
    TEDDY!

TEDDY! Member

I looked up the definition, what is a retro game, expecting to get a logical answer immediately and to tell everyone that google is a thing we should use. I was wrong. There is no simple answer :frown:.
    My two cents in this topic is similar to everyone else's. Its opinionated, and will be relative to each person.
    In my opinion, retro games are games that use outdated engines. And I'm perfectly ok labeling new games being released right now as retro because there are a lot of Indie developers and well known companies making games with retro-esc engines on purpose.
    Booyakasha likes this.
    Johnthehunter

Johnthehunter New Member

Pay Phones :D it was very very ooold times, it is a retro thing now and you can find it only in museums i think :smile:) it was great thing :smile:
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

There's still some here. I doubt phone booths exist much now though.
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

the only pay phone i know about anywhere close to here is at a tiny gas station out in the middle of nowhere that looks like a great place to film a horror movie
    Johnthehunter likes this.
    Daos

Daos Banned Members Forum Mod

I would say the N64, PS1, era counts as retro now.
    Tombay

Tombay New Member

As of now for me the retro is PSX but not anything after. But I think in 2-3 years, ps2 could be considered as retro too. However, I think that the graphics, the design and technologies after PSX could not be called retro at all. I mean that the era of consoles before 2000s differed in the approach of the game dev at all.
    MeowMan

MeowMan Active Member

I know everyone's already agreed that it's a subjective thing, but to drive the point home:
    1. Me being slightly younger than the average VGFer, I read through this thread and my first thought was, "Do I consider the GameCube to be retro?" The answer was "Not yet, but very soon."
    2. I asked my dad what he considered retro video games. He started listing arcade games.
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha serves as great comic relief Staff Member

Well, I hate to be overly nit-picky about this (*joking, obviously--------------there is nothing boo loves more nit-picking, as long as its him doing it*), but clearly 'retro' is not a mere matter of chronology or software generations. Because whenever a modern game is billed as 'retro' or 'retro-style', that never means 'two gens old'. I certainly don't think of 'Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath' as retro.
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

yeah this is what i was thinking about and it's why i don't consider the n64 a "retro" console per se: the term "retro" as it's often used reflects two or three generations of consoles with a lot of fan overlap.

like it's not uncommon to see someone who likes the nes, snes, and genesis all at once, but that group of people tends to have divisive opinions over the 3d leap generation consoles like n64 or psx.

it's treated more as a "golden age, silver age" type of divider than anything to do with age.