1. New forums are up at http://www.vgf.com/phpBB3. You will need to use the forgot password feature to be able to login. If you do not receive the password reset e-mail, send me a PM.

In the Mario games that let you control people other than Mario....

Discussion in 'Super Luigi Bros.: It's-a Luigi Time!' started by Apollo the Just, Jul 23, 2017.

Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

......what are some of your favorite examples, and who do you like to play as?

For me, the Bowser levels in Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door will always be legendary. Having him as an actual party member in Super Paper Mario is also fantastic, but the ridiculous factor is slightly less because the game is actually balanced around him as a party member rather than just being an incredible joke level with steaks. I do love getting the gold stars in SPM as Bowser though because then he gets so enormous that this 8-bit monster takes up half the level. 10/10 best playable character.

Playing as Peach is often a treat in games where she's available, too. Particularly enjoy her playable segments in PM64 when she guest-stars on a quiz show, and she was always my favorite in All-Stars.
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

it's hard to think of examples that aren't the spinoff games where they have little to any appreciable difference in playstyle (the mario parties, karts, etc.)

i thought all the playable characters in sm64ds were cool except wario because he was so sluggish and his strengths were situational at best
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

In the multiplayer games I usually gravitate towards Waluigi or Daisy because they're both terrible.

In other games it's usually Luigi or Peach. You can really cheese certain missions in Super Mario 64 DS with Luigi's spin jumps. And Peach Toadstool is the best party member in Super Mario RPG, bar none.
    Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

I totally forgot about spinoffs like Mario Party and Mario Kart. Just made this thread to talk about SPM to be honest.

I love playing as Yoshi whenever I'm allowed to; especially in Mario Party 2 because his little outfits are adorable. I mean the outfits are fun no matter what but they're best when worn by a lovable dinosaur.
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha serves as great comic relief Staff Member

I've started a playthrough of SM3DW with my pal Shane. I picked Peach, because Peach is awesome. Also because her hovering ability is useful, but mainly for the awesomeness.
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

I was always a little disappointed that SMRPG didn't allow you to remove Mario from the party. Even if he had to be the one doing the platforming and stuff, would it have killed them to let me run a Geno/Bowser/Toadstool set?

That said, I love playing as Toad in SMB2. He's so fast when holding an object, it's great. And vine jumping is extremely easy with Luigi, which comes in handy for several levels. Honestly, Mario is the least desirable character to play in that game.
    DarkZero

getting back to sm64ds that's like the one game with multiple characters where you would ever actually want to play as mario. he has the fastest run speed of the bunch and he's the only one who can wall jump so he's great when you need mobility.
    X-3

X-3 _____<|0-0|>_____ Staff Member

Luigi's jumps tho
    Marilink

Not to mention the fact that the game is originally designed for Mario, so he naturally just feels the best in that space.
    DarkZero

i 100%ed the game recently and when you spend that much time combing over places you've already been you really start to appreciate the speed
    Marilink

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the best part of playing as Bowser in Mario RPG.

The Hurly Gloves

[​IMG]
    Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

Any platformer that lets me play as The Green Thunder is a good platformer in my book.

It's a shame I usually have to play through them as red Luigi first before I can.
    Apollo the Just and CaptHayfever like this.
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

Well obviously Princess Toadstool in SMB2 has the most compelling function.
    CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

Luigi.
    Luigi.
    Peach, if I need the hover.
    Luigi.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    X-3

X-3 _____<|0-0|>_____ Staff Member

Bowser+Carrie was the dream team in SPM.

I played only as Mario in 3D World though because I figured that would be hardest.
    Apollo the Just likes this.
    Random User

Random User Overlord of Evil