1. New forums are up at http://www.vgf.com/phpBB3. You will need to use the forgot password feature to be able to login. If you do not receive the password reset e-mail, send me a PM.

More useless video game trivia.

Discussion in 'General Gaming - Ten Hut!' started by Valigarmander, Jun 15, 2016.

Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

People who know about MM speedruns probably know this one, but I thought it was cool when I first learned about it. The owl statue in South Clock Town that is visible from West Clock Town is actually a completely different, functional owl statue (since West and South Clock Town are different maps so it couldn't be the same object)... it's just not accessible without glitches.

I wonder if this also means that even when you activate the South Clock Town owl, it won't look activated from West Clock Town because you're looking at an entirely different owl? I haven't checked to see if that's something the devs accounted for or not. I never noticed in my playthroughs.

This trivia is useless for casual playthroughs, but technically has uses in speedruns because getting to it and saving at it does weird stuff. I thought it was cool though so I'm sharing.
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

I'm almost positive that your hypothesis is correct--when you look from West Clock into South Clock, the owl statue looks unactivated. I seem to remember that.
    Random User and Apollo the Just like this.
    Apollo the Just

In Paper Mario, there's a segment of Bowser's Castle with two paths - top and bottom - that you need to choose the correct path on to proceed. There are lamps on the wall before the hallway that tell you the order: up, down, down, up, down, up.

[​IMG]

In Super Paper Mario, there's a segment where you have to ground-pound a series of yellow poles in a particular way. The order here is also up, down, down, up, down, up.

[​IMG]

I know there's a segment in TTYD where you have to go down a hallway (like in 64) and take the path that's lit by torches. I would not be surprised if it were the same order, or if this order makes appearances in other Mario games and is in fact much more prominent and well known than I thought, but anyway.

(I only noticed this because I've played 64 so many times I have the order memorized and therefore recognized the pattern here as well.)

e: just looked it up and the sequence in TTYD is not the same. Anyway, I think it's interesting the pattern is the same here in Super as in 64. Either a very subtle throwback or maybe just a fun coincidence?
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

System Shock 2 was not originally conceived as System Shock 2. The idea to make it a sequel to System Shock?

...EA Games.
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

It's the pattern to one of the looping castles in Super Mario Bros, I think. You basically have to chose one of two paths several times, high or low. I don't do that castle on a normal speedrun so not certain what the pattern is, though.
    Marilink and Apollo the Just like this.
    Apollo the Just

Sick, thought it was intentional. Had no idea it was a throwback to original SMB but that's really cool.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

Pokemon Puzzle League was developed by North America-based Nintendo Software Technology, and has never been officially released in Japan.
    Artemis008

Artemis008 New Member

[​IMG]
    I saw this while browsing Imgur the other day and it blew my ****ing mind.