National Dunce Day Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Philosophy, and Religion' started by I am nobody, Nov 7, 2016.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

It is not impossible to produce an adequate test if that is your implication. Also, of course this test will be designed to work against a specific demographic, unintelligent people. That's sort of the whole purpose, to weed them/me out to some degree (like I said, a point based system could be enacted so we still have some say on certain issues).
    SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

The issue there is that every state test will have to be good for this idea to make sense, but not every state is going to do that. In a system where gerrymandering is legal I can only imagine the new slew of issues voters will face if this idea were implemented and abused nationally. Furthermore, the test Capt linked to was made to keep black people away from their right to vote, as whites were generally exempted from taking it. So how do we determine the best way to go about this test?

It'd have to be compulsory for everyone and federally-made, and even then it's tricky. A lot of people don't feel our federal government will have our best interest at heart. If the test is updated, will we have to all retake it to retain our suffrage? What if we wake up and are just having a bad day and flunk the test? Are we just not allowed to vote that year? There are too many issues with this idea.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 2, 2017, Original Post Date: Jan 2, 2017 ---
    Also the Supreme Court has already banned literacy tests for voting.
    CaptHayfever likes this.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Why isn't every state going to do that, and why can't the federal government ensure it does happen? Also your fear of a system being abused comes with practically any system, that shouldn't be anything more than something to look out for if it actually goes through, otherwise we wouldn't have many systems at all.

Clearly the best way to go about the test is to dole it out fairly to everyone wanting to vote, not just certain people like Capt's test. If you mean specifics as to the contents of the test itself, I don't know.

A lot of people are probably right, I don't think the government always has our best interest in mind either. Ideally there should be some way to keep the test in check, maybe at a state or local level or something, idk.

If the test is updated it should be retaken but only every so often, not much different from other licenses. You need to renew your driver's license so why not your voter's license? I think it technically makes less sense from a right's based perspective to require a license to drive our own cars on public roads but few will deny the necessity of it. I think the principle applies here as well.

Can something which the Supreme Court banned not be overturned? Also, people say that sometimes they overreach so I don't know if that would stand in the face of a proper system planned out and presented along with a good argument for it.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

'Cause some of them have extremely corrupt governments.
    Constitutionally, states run elections, even federal elections. Federal government ensuring the same test nationwide would require a new amendment, which are intentionally hard to pass in the first place, & this country just elected a Congress that ran on an alleged platform of less federal power, not more.

We mean the specific contents of the test itself.

A lot of people are probably right, I don't think the government always has our best interest in mind either. Ideally there should be some way to keep the test in check, maybe at a state or local level or something, idk.

But voting is a constitutionally-guaranteed right; driving isn't.

Only by a constitutional amendment or a subsequent Supreme Court ruling.

People only say that when a ruling goes the way they didn't want.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    SKELETOR likes this.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

^ That makes sense. So pretty much it's nearly impossible to enact the idea, at least currently. Still, I don't think it is a bad idea in theory.

And why do you say that? We are free to own and operate our vehicles as we see fit and we live in a free country so why aren't we allowed on pubic roads? We have the right to travel. Instead of bothering to formulate my own wording for an argument revolving around that I'll just copy and paste:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement_under_United_States_law

I see no good reason why driving shouldn't be considered a right. Seems like one day someone stated driving is a privilege and everyone just parroted it.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

The right to travel is about exactly that - the government can't tell you that it's illegal for you to leave your house without due process. They can deprive you of specific means of travel, and they already do so for cars, planes, and boats if you don't have a license or insurance.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

So you think they're legally allowed to stop someone from traveling via motorized wheelchair?
    I am nobody

Try driving your wheelchair down the highway.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

How about the city street first? Gotta get to the highway.
    The Missing Link

The Missing Link Professional Lurker Staff Member

I wanted to go back to this point and make a clarification on there.

Yes, you have the right to travel/mobility. However, you are not free to own and operate vehicles as you see fit. Those two aren't synonymous.

Yes, you're free to own a car if you want. However, to use said car, you must first register the vehicle with your state; failure to do so before operating the car is illegal. You must also acquire a valid driver's license with the state; failure to do that and operate the car is illegal. You must also follow the legislation governing the rules of the road; failure to operate the vehicle safely is illegal. You must also keep your license, which the state can handily revoke if they believe you're a sufficient threat to other motorists.

There's no "freedom to do as you see fit." There limitations and provisos.

In the same vein, if you're constantly going on mass transportation and threatening/harassing other passengers, you can be evicted from the bus/tram/train/etc. It's also theoretically possible to be legally banned from a service if you abuse it too much.

The state can't prevent you from walking from some place to another place... oh wait, they kind of can too with restraining orders and house arrest. Though certainly, those are more restrictive cases and aren't the norm. But I include them for completion's sake.
    SKELETOR and CaptHayfever like this.
    I am nobody

^Restraining orders and and house arrest are punishments imposed after due process, though. Congress can't just pass a law saying you can't leave your house.
    The Missing Link

^ Yes. That's essentially my point though.

The point is that rights can be taken away. Rights aren't absolute. Just as felons can't vote in some states, there's limitations on rights and freedoms. Rights and freedoms merely provide a comfortable barrier for people against unreasonable legislation.
    I am nobody

Was just pointing out that IRHP had already acknowledged restrictions from courts.
    The Missing Link

Fair enough.

Automobile registration, the issuance of drivers licenses, and the rules of the road are not that.
    CaptHayfever likes this.
    ScottyMcGee

ScottyMcGee Super Lab Tech

I'm reminded of the time I saw a guy driving a motorized wheelchair down the road while texting. Like he wasn't using the sidewalk and drove alongside the sidewalk. I thought to myself, "That's probably how he got in a wheelchair in the first place."
    Bad Dragonite and I am nobody like this.
    Bad Dragonite

Bad Dragonite So Powerful. So Adorable.

Top Poster Of Month

I had that happen to me today. There's a guy who just rides his wheelchair down the road to come to the store I work at regularly and apparently goes other places. I mean he doesn't really break any laws I think. I suppose you could treat it like you would a bicyclist. Plus who wants to be the A-hole to try and stop a crippled man from trying to be independent?
    ScottyMcGee

ScottyMcGee Super Lab Tech

So how about that National Day of Patriotic Devotion, comrades?