Note-taking

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Heroine of the Dragon, Feb 17, 2016.

?

How do you do your note-taking?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2016.
  1. Longhand... because science! (Creates an deeper understanding or pick another reason)

53.3%
  2. Laptop

26.7%
  3. Tablet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Smart Phone

20.0%
  5. What notes? People take notes?

33.3%
  6. I have an eidectic memory.

6.7%
  7. A little of this and a bit of that... please post!

13.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    Heroine of the Dragon

Heroine of the Dragon Faerie ♥☆♥ Marshmallow Administrator Staff Member

Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

When I go to meetings, I see everybody else there with a notepad. I end up remembering more than they do without writing anything.

I took a shorthand course in high school but barely ever made use of it. I have enough trouble reading my own writing when it's in English. Ditto for speed reading. Completely bloody useless.

In this day and age, some technological way of note taking makes the most sense. There are so many advantages to typing, such as being neater, faster, and easier to save and transport.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

If I have an idea and don't put it down somewhere, I will forget it without fail. I use my phone for notekeeping most of the time.
    LOOT

LOOT how horrifying

Back when I actually was taking notes for something important I did it on my laptop

although nowadays I think I'd go back to old-fashioned notebooking because if nothing else I can just doodle in the back because I am bored SOOOOOO easily
    X-3

X-3 The Worst Member Staff Member

Back in uni I did longhand. Mostly because I didn't have a good laptop to use, but also because it was useful. Helps you memorize and stay focused.
    Scarecrow

Scarecrow Watch your enemies burn Staff Member

Notes? Ha! If I ever do need to though, I'll put them in my phone.
    United Nations

United Nations Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV

I keep writing journals for story ideas. I keep a notebook with lesson plans and unit plan ideas. I keep a notebook to keep track of where I leave off with my students every day. I write TONS of post-its with test make-ups, test re-takes, absences, due dates, etc. I use my phone for good ideas, birthday/Christmas lists, song/movie/show recommendations, work hours, and to-do lists.
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

I use my laptop a whole bunch for note-taking, especially if I want to keep the notes for the long-long term. If I want to be super thorough, I'll take notes longhand and then transcribe them to my laptop later on.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

I generally prefer to keep it all in my head as long as there's some logic to whatever's being said. I don't have perfect recall, but it's good enough that I don't generally bother with notes even if I've written them down. If it's something exceedingly complicated, I usually just look it up a few times as I need it and then remember it from usage. The internet is faster at finding what I was looking for, anyway.
    Sonic 5

Sonic 5 Not Actually a Sonic Fan Supporter

I preferred taking notes on a laptop when it was possible. My handwriting is slow and sloppy, so I end up missing things that are being said as I write. This is never a problem with my laptop.

I've always found it amusing when people try to authoritatively tell me that I'm wasting my time with a laptop.