Persona (any and all iterations of it)

Discussion in 'Sony Playstation: This is Living!' started by thanous, Jul 29, 2014.

mushroom

mushroom Occasionally exists Supporter

spending the afternoon with P5, just started the 4th palace
    mushroom

finished the 4th palace today. good feels
    Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

Re-started FES. At long last.

****, P3Protag's Persona awakening is SO ****ING GOOD. That entire cutscene is absolutely awesome. The art direction in this game is 10/10; the Magician looks so good animated in 2D rather than its awkward 3D rendering.

Also the music for the first full moon is just mmmmmmm............ I missed this so much
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

Bad ending get.

Welp, I gave Atlus way too much credit in thinking the traitor thing would be a ruse. The pancake thing actually would've been kind of clever that way, but alas.

Still, the ending itself was pretty good. Nice of them to have a different credits track for that as well - not sure I've seen that since 999.

Now to not do that.
    Apollo the Just

I got bad end my first playthrough of P4 and was salty enough about it I just considered the game done and didn't touch it for another like year.

Can't wait to do the same thing when I get around to P5 lmao
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

Is there a bad ending for P3?
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

The Amazing Tazy Ten Happy Dingergisbar! Supporter

I am nobody

P3 and 4 have loads of variously bad endings after the remakes.

The bad ending in 5 is way easier to avoid than in 4, by the way. No more accidentally getting it even on your third playthrough. >_>
    Apollo the Just

The bad endings in P3 are like. Really painfully obvious, though.

DO YOU GIVE IN TO YOUR FATE? Y/N like come on

The P4 one is still really dumb and I am still kind of residually salty about it.
    I am nobody

Although I'm disappointed that it really was Akechi, I do at least appreciate them having Futaba optionally explain all of the details of the plan. I initially thought there were a few plot holes in it, but they closed them. Well done on that.

On that note, there had better be another dungeon. I've been spoiled by Golden and will be very annoyed if the game ends in late January - not in the least because I only have 4 non-plot 10s so far. :/

Tangentially related: The Caligula Effect, which we were talking about earlier in this thread, came out today. It isn't very good by almost all accounts, it's a digital-only $40 Vita title, Atlus didn't bother promoting it at all, it's releasing less than a month after P5, and they appear to have set the review embargo to release day. That's one of the most impressive examples of sending a game out to die that I've ever seen. If they have that little confidence in it, why'd they even bother with localization?

Short of announcing that all proceeds would be going to Martin Shkreli's legal defense fund, I'm honestly not sure you could more effectively kill your own game before release.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

Actually, it may benefit from being released around P5. People itching for a Persona game who prefer or only have handhelds may look to it instead, maybe.
    I am nobody

PSN's best sellers list tells me it isn't in the top 100 and is losing to flow and Cel Damage even when you limit it to Vita games. I'm pretty skeptical that there are enough Persona fans out there who don't own at least a PS3 to make a game any kind of success. Even if there were, that would require them deciding to drop $40 of the money they apparently don't often put towards games on a title that's earned a near universal "meh."
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

The Amazing Tazy Ten Happy Dingergisbar! Supporter

That's damn unfortunate.
    mushroom

As much as I love this game I will say I'm thoroughly disappointed that Yusuke is not a relationship option
    --- Double Post Merged, May 7, 2017, Original Post Date: May 7, 2017 ---
    like this is really bugging me more than it should. i want to have a fake anime gay relationship with the sensitive art dude. i guess japane is still just too conservative for that kind of thing
    SKELETOR and Apollo the Just like this.
    SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

^That's how I felt with Kanji in P4. :c
    I am nobody

So, this is probably still on pace to be my GotY (pending Danganronpa V3 and surprises, anyway). It's improved on 3 and 4 in just about every way, and so far they've even resisted the temptation to repeat the ****ing hot springs/cooking/surprising female weight distribution jokes that JRPGs are obsessed with. All that's great.

...but I was really disappointed to discover that they put goddamn jiggle physics in. I was able to overlook the stupidity of a 'Spiked Bra' being considered armor and the questionable 'let's try and seduce them!' scenes, but where those were just flavor text and some of the scenes had funny moments, this took actual effort on the part of animators where not doing anything at all would've been perfectly acceptable.

I'm not angry about it - it'd be hard to be mad about something it took me 70 hours to notice, and I've said before that I support even Senran Kagura's right to exist, but it really is sad that Atlus felt this was necessary. Have some damn faith in your game and your audience.

Credit where credit is due: Besides games like Life is Strange or Analogue: A Hate Story that are very explicitly about those issues, I don't think I've ever played a game that's gone so far out of its way to directly condemn sexual exploitation/harassment/abuse/etc, and the series continues to be great about showing the effects of Japan's glass ceiling problem. But, and I get that it's a different culture and whatnot, that just makes it all the more jarring when the game turns about and starts jiggling right on top of speech boxes.

And while I'm on the subject of disappointments, the DLC for this game is bull****. They took out all of the costumes that would've been free in previous games so they could charge us $6.99 a pack for them.
    I am nobody

...And done. 79:17 final time, which I believe just beats out Trails of Cold Steel II for the longest single player campaign I've finished. Despite that, I still missed a ton of content, (I only had 5 non-plot 10s and never went fishing) so I'd be ready to jump into NG+ right now if I didn't have more games to get to.

I'm going to do a real write-up in the reviews thread when I'm not dead tired tomorrow morning, but suffice to say this is hands down the best Persona game so far. There are plenty of things like the above post that I can criticize about it, but for every one of those bugbears, there are a dozen other features I absolutely loved. It's one hell of an accomplishment.