1. New forums are up at http://www.vgf.com/phpBB3. You will need to use the forgot password feature to be able to login. If you do not receive the password reset e-mail, send me a PM.

Questions about making remixes of video game music.

Discussion in 'Music and Podcasts' started by BladeMan.EXE, Aug 12, 2017.

BladeMan.EXE

BladeMan.EXE Battle routine: Set!

Is there any free software like this I can use?

Just... Samples already included, lets you put together a song the same way you would edit a video.

And I'm approaching this the same way I approached animation ("How hard can it be?") so an idea of what goes into a job like this would help.
    BladeMan.EXE

And what are the odds that after posting this topic, Papa would explain that I could just use midi files in audacity.
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

most music software comes with at least a few samples, but it's generally pretty scare (especially the free stuff).

also, any particular kind of remix you wanna make? because there's electronic, orchestral, midi-sequenced, chiptune, etc., and different programs are built for different types of music production.
    BladeMan.EXE

Don't know yet. Plan on using it in animations, so it will depend on what kind of scene I'm going for.
    DarkZero

well the video you linked uses fl studio; if you want a freeware equivalent to that, i recommend looking into LMMS. it's designed to be pretty similar, with the piano roll and whatnot.
    Bomby

Bomby Globali$t $hill Staff Member

Honestly, if you have the cash, buy FL Studio. You won't regret it. I know at lest a decade ago it was associated with amateurs making **** music, but really the end product is more important than the tools.
    Random User

Random User Overlord of Evil

You could alternatively use FL Studio's demo and record what you make with another program. Only downside is that you have to never close FL Studio until you finish the song.
    DarkZero

^but some plugins use periodical silence so you gotta be wary of that
    BladeMan.EXE

Planning to try out LMMS... as soon as I can get the download to go all the way through.

Like I said before, sometimes my internet can have less patience than me.
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

Reaper is free to use, in terms of function. It is a full, open DAW with numerous FX plugins. Load free VSTi into it and you're set. It's also remarkably stable with high-end functions like bridging 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit environment, and vice versa. In many ways it out-performs other paid DAWs and otherwise matches them for functionality.