R.I.P Laptop 2005-2015

Discussion in 'Introductions, Goodbyes, & Toads' started by Tazy Ten, Dec 1, 2015.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

The Amazing Tazy Ten Happy Dingergisbar! Supporter

So my hard drive died. I'm currently using someone else's computer to post this.

Until next week I am going to be on temporary break. I might pop in occasionally but until my new laptop comes in I'm pretty much cutting myself off. Hopefully I'll be back on the 10th at the very latest.

If not, I'll figure something out. See you all then!
    Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

In the 80s, people would go a week without Internet.

I just bought a new one over Black Friday because I want to stay ahead of it, although this one remains more or less functional. This is my first to survive in years.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

They had Internet in the 80's? Anyway, see you soon Tazy. Enjoy the new computer, that one had a good run.

On topic of computers, I struck a deal with my friend for the one I have. It was new but I don't know how to tell how "good" it is, like spec-wise.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

^That could be done if you post them (CPU, GPU, and RAM being the most important) and specify what you want a "good" computer to do.
    CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

^^There was actually online gaming in the 80s; it just wasn't very widespread. Or good.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

I've been needing a new computer for a while now.
    Scarecrow

Scarecrow Watch your enemies burn Staff Member

You should get a MSI one. Soooo pretty.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Can't figure out how to even check CPU or GP but RAM says 4.00 GB (3.89 usable). Processor says Intel Core i3-4012Y CPU @ 1.50 GHz (and then for some reasons says 1.50 GHs again). System Type says 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor. Don't know if any of that matters. :bored:

"Good" would just be playing basic video games and programs, really.
    I am nobody

Processor and CPU are the same thing, and the double speed listing is just to show it's a dual core. It's most likely your GPU is something integrated like an Intel HD 4000, but probably an older version given the other specs.

If you want to confirm what the GPU is, Device Manager -> Display Devices will tell you for sure. If not, I'd be careful with anything except basic 2D games. My old HD4000 could run XCOM and Borderlands at playable FPS, but a number of sprite games were completely unusable. They're very dependent on the specific game.
    Heroine of the Dragon

Heroine of the Dragon Faerie ♥☆♥ Marshmallow Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your laptop... I hope you backed up your stuff on a regular basis, Tazy. And here's hoping the new laptop lasts a decade, as well!! See you next week!! *leaves you marshmallows* :D
    ScottyMcGee

ScottyMcGee Super Lab Tech

Psh, I wish my laptop died. Stupid piece of ****.

Yeah and you were in constant danger of accidentally starting a nuclear apocalypse.

[​IMG]
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

I'm going to send the old computer to someone and see if there's anything to salvage, but I didn't lose anything too big. I can rewrite if I have to.

Thanks everyone, by the way. I have the feeling this is gonna be a long wait if yesterday was any indication.
    Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

I have a MSI on the way. I didn't even see it during the first day or two I was looking because Newegg for some reason separates laptops from gaming laptops, but I wasn't actually looking for a gaming laptop. I just wanted a good sale price on a decent computer. This will be the 6th or 7th brand of laptop I have had. I've never bought from the same company twice, though not on purpose. The only one I wouldn't buy again is Sager, which only lasted 15 months and cost more than double anything I have bought since. And I guess I can't buy another Compaq, which still works 16 years later.

I learned my lesson about backups. I pretty much expect hard drives to fail at the very least, though they're easy enough to replace in most cases.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

2D is good enough for me, I was afraid it wouldn't be able to handle anything more than, like, browser games. I wanted to get some 2D Fighting and indie games.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
    I am nobody

Just look for Hardware accelerated/Integrated in the GPU section of the minimum requirements and you're probably good. If it says Intel HD xxxx instead of either of those, you'll want to see which one you've got, because some of them are significantly better than others.
    Heroine of the Dragon

That's a relief for you, I'm sure!!

This is my 7th (?) laptop and I hope it lasts longer than my last which crashed and burned after 15 months. Like Shane, I already learnt the hard way about backing up regularly and do so every month on the first!! It takes me roughly half hour which is worth my time!! :D
    Kil'jaeden

Kil'jaeden Initiate of the 5th level

You can fix the laptop. You just have to rub oils on it, burn incense, and invoke its machine spirit until it fixes. The Mechanicus method.
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

Would my chances of success increase if I devote my life to the emperor and hire an Enginseer?

Just an update, I'm probably going to send the dead laptop off on Sunday (I think) and then I'll learn if anything can be saved from it.

We'll see.
    Kil'jaeden

Kil'jaeden Initiate of the 5th level

The Emperor protects. You probably didn't use the right incense.
    Heroine of the Dragon

You can always upcycle it...

[​IMG]

:D
    CaptHayfever likes this.