Share your Super Mario Maker levels here!

Discussion in 'Super Luigi Bros.: It's-a Luigi Time!' started by Valigarmander, Sep 11, 2015.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

The Amazing Tazy Ten Happy Dingergisbar! Supporter

Surprise!

Next time any of you wanna try Mario Maker there is this new stage you can try!

SpookyBro's House of Jumpscares
    B571-0000-028E-9E0E
    Bookmark

I might make more at some point so stay tuned!
    Bomby

Bomby Employee of the Month for Oct. 2011 Staff Member

My first course.

Piranha Panic
    1AAC-0000-02BE-3A20
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Oh man, all these new levels. I wish I hadn't already boxed up my Wii U for moving.
    My Potions Are Too Strong For You Traveller

My Potions Are Too Strong For You Traveller Supermod Staff Member

I liked that Ice stage you did for the Discordia pack, AS. I played up until I hit the wiggler dungeon stage in the 2nd world and had no idea what the hell was going on at the boss event where there's the giant wiggler and two thwomps. It didn't really communicate well what was intended to happen, unfortunately. Skipped to yours and loved it, though.
    Antisocial likes this.
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

I'm glad people are coming back to this game. :smile:

Then again, it is just Super Mario Bros., but still.

I can even go as far as to say expert mode has improved since then! ...Since super expert has been given time to become its garbage disposal.
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

^btw, I've been playing that Discordia pack bit by bit, just haven't gotten to the ice world yet. Looking forward to it!
    Antisocial likes this.

Still confused how only 2% clear my stages. I actually thought people were better at Mario than that.
    Marilink

People tend to quit after dying once or twice.

Gross
    Marilink

Isn't that just ridiculous? How do people play video games like that?
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

Probably because most of them play 100 man Mario and don't want to waste more than a single life on a stage.

Tends to cause frustration more than actual progress, really.
    Marilink

But you have 100 Lives. That is a lot of lives.
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

I can understand skipping stages because they're spamming enemies/spikes or if they look to be made for life draining via trial and error. But I'll agree some of my worst runs were me just skipping a stage every time I died. I still do it a bit but it's hard to get a good rhythm going when you do that. And then there goes all your lives.

I just don't understand it at all. The best stages are the fair ones that I have to work a bit to get through. If I see something I can do with practice, it makes me want that much more to get through it.
    Marilink likes this.
    Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

As an idiot who played through Expert 100-Mario over 50 times, I feel I should grant an theorized explanation on this behavior:

Most of your course's plays are done via the 100-Mario Challenge when the game selects yours for some schmuck's course pool for their run. I figure that this is an easy hypothesis to settle on considering how many people have played this game. Expert mode early in the game's lifetime was almost unbearable. Notwithstanding skip-happy players who lack the skill, the patience, or even the ability to appreciate a good level, of which arguably compose a good portion of the populace who play the game, for players who do possess the skill, patience, and appreciation of good levels, you pretty much had to abandon your sense of taste to optimally survive this particular challenge. The deal is that most deaths in Expert mode occur due to mainly two factors: Dick moves, and repeatedly attempting obstacles you feel you know you can overcome since you have to do whatever it takes to advance. With the way I ran it, I admittedly abused the skip option because it's easy to forget that option is always available. I've had many a run where a good 50-80 of my lives were from a level each. If you do find a level that's decent, you wouldn't mind wasting lives on it because it's good, right? Well, it's this kind of luxury you can't afford to indulge in during an Expert run, because you find a good level, lose a good chunk of your life pool on it, and now you're more at the mercy of the bad levels that come after than if you didn't indulge.

Why do this? Because by repeatedly skipping, you have more of a chance to find levels you feel you can overcome with minimal deaths, in contrast to lingering on a level you're fixated on and dropping several lives into. Thing is, I've learned to skip a lot of bad levels without dying by recognizing bull****. There have been many good levels Expert threw at me, but had to only revisit from my "recently played" list after the run was done because I couldn't afford to waste more lives on it because it was a good level; I had to move on. It all just comes down to pragmatism trumping taste when it comes to beating Expert mode (or in this day and age, Super Expert mode), with the main goal being that you find levels you feel you can beat no matter how they're designed as opposed to levels that are well-designed yet have the potential to cripple your reserves because you're captivated by it. As AI said, a level you feel you can beat with practice would inspire you to persevere, yet that still means you're losing a number of lives on it. With normal play, that's all well and good, but at some point (for me, probably after 5-7 deaths depending on the level), you're gonna have to come to the conclusion that it's not worth it in the context of Expert mode.

Then again, it should probably be said that I rarely ended an Expert run with fewer than 50 lives, so maybe I'm just being overly cautious. That's something to consider.

That or I was just really ****ing unlucky during my runs. We can consider that, too.
    Valigarmander likes this.
    The Missing Link

The Missing Link Professional Lurker Staff Member

^ Though I imagine you're suffering from the Megalixir Paradox. You have that one item that's super powerful and super rare, but you never want to use it, even during incredibly difficult boss fights, because, "What if the next boss is even harder?" Only to get to the final boss, realise you're overprepared, and then you end the game with the item still in your inventory.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

I don't play games so much for challenge as fun. If I'm dying a lot there's no fun, so people skipping after a couple tries makes sense to me.
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

My problem is that I don't die in the game. The player designs are rarely anything approaching an activity for me. The ones that do are often due to just really abusive level design, not interesting mechanics. One of the reasons why I like AS's stages so much. They're challenging, but my deaths are my fault.