Should Nintendo Stop Making Consoles? Ft. Reggie

Discussion in 'Nintendo Main' started by Bad Dragonite, Feb 4, 2017.

Bad Dragonite

Bad Dragonite So Powerful. So Adorable.

That said the Dreamcast was pretty ahead of it's time, just it was kinda TOO FAR ahead of it's time.
    I dont think the switch is just because I've known people who used to cringe when I mentioned Nintendo actually getting hyped for the Switch before I even was just for the concept alone.
    It probably won't be as big as the Wii (giggity) but it'll probably still be pretty big. (Giggity giggity)
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

The Dreamcast was ahead of its technology. Sega ruined a good business model and dissolved their server service, too = Heat.net aka the most popular centralized host service online at the time, which even hosted alternative servers for Ultima Online and Everquest. They regeared it to support Sega.net and it flopped. I used to regularly use Heat.net - better servers than Gamespy/mplayer. Some games like Starsiege: Tribes had issues with their server lists where it would actually use your PC to ping every server before it would display them, etc, which on dialup meant that you couldn't play the game once too many servers (thousands) were listed. They also briefly ran an alt for Battle.net from what I recall, although Blizzard's always been litigious about server rights. Shame, that, Sega and Heat.net could've evolved into the current Valve/Steam if they left it to operate independently.
    Bad Dragonite likes this.
    VG_Addict

VG_Addict Active Member

That's what I said.
    Bomby

Bomby Employee of the Month for Oct. 2011 Staff Member

Sorry. I apparently need to do a better job of reading threads the whole way through.
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

Well you know what they say: Hindsight is 20/20. There're all sorts of business and gaming what-ifs out there. I'm sure Blockbuster is still kicking themselves for not buying a business that, at the time, didn't look very profitable, and I bet Fox is still cursing themselves about the whole "Star Wars" debacle.
    VG_Addict

VG_Addict Active Member

Star Wars debacle? What?
    CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

^The first Star Wars movie was initially released on only 42 screens nationwide. Fox had so little faith in the film that they let Lucas keep the merchandising rights to the whole franchise. Also, the rights to episodes 5, 6, 1, 2, & 3 will go to Disney in 2020.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    VG_Addict

VG_Addict Active Member

Thanks.
    Jesus

Jesus Well-Known Member

This is completely unrelated but sega has the best PR campaign. Check out sonics Twitter Http://www.twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog they've even been so innovative as to take a jab at sonichu.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

The fact that people are still buying Sonic games is all I need to agree that SEGA has the best PR. They've clearly done something very right to make up for doing everything else so incredibly wrong.
    Bad Dragonite

Bad Dragonite So Powerful. So Adorable.

^Making Sonic Generations probably helped.
    X-3

X-3 Punished Mod Staff Member

Sega is mostly a publisher nowadays. Even Sonic releases are sparse.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

They really need to release more Sonic, now that I think about it. Sonic Racing is a great series, another one of those would be cool.
    VG_Addict

VG_Addict Active Member

Nintendo could buy the rights to Sonic.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

They'd break the bank doing so and that is only if Sega wanted to.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017, Original Post Date: Feb 9, 2017 ---
    Glancing at the info, Nintendo had over 10 billion a few years back, and the Sonic franchise has earned over 5 billion (just his games, ignoring comics, cartoons, etc). Maybe if Nintendo emptied their pockets they could interest Sega in a deal.
    Jesus

Jesus Well-Known Member

Ehh....sonic games are always a hit and miss. They've released a ton sure but only a few of them were actually hits. They rest were garbage. I still have my copies of the sonic and the black knight and that one where he's in Egypt. Those two flopped so bad they removed the stock from stores. Sonic Unleashed did poorly. The sonic RPG went largely unknown. Sonic 2006 was released too soon and full of bugs. The reboot of the 2D/3D sonic games were discontinued due to low sales. Sonic Generations was great but that was the nostalgia talking and the customization options. Sonic Colors also didn't sell that well but played good. And Sonic Boom.....I gave that series the benefit of the doubt until I would actually play it. It was awful. Sonic's prime in video games in my opinion was when he was on sega's consoles. Nobody can argue with this. If Mario went third party it may happen to him too. Sonic went from greatness to a meme. I am exempting ports of dreamcast titles from my arguments. Ports of games we claim to be good from Sega originated on sega's consoles so by definition, that goes under when they were developing consoles.

Look at the monkey ball series. Monkey ball was a ton of fun and was a dreamcast title. Sold well, ported well. When they decided to make a sequel to the games as super monkey ball adventure, the game ended up being crap. Nintendo's titles play really well and are developed perfectly because Nintendo developed the hardware for them and know it inside and out. The same went for Sega when they were making consoles. If Nintendo goes third party, the quality would surely suffer.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Even on Sega's consoles Sonic had some flops. Game Gear had Labyrinth and 32x had Chaotix (neither very good from what I hear but I didn't play them), most notably. On the other hand, Sonic Advance and Colors were pretty good on Nintendo. Sonic has been hit and miss from early on.
    Jesus

Jesus Well-Known Member

Ah the good old 32x that made your genesis look like it was on life support. Knuckles Chaotix's downfall was due in part to the limitations of the genesis and having to rely on using the extra processing power of the 32x. I personally loved Knuckles Chaotix for the difficulty challenge. Sonic Advance was a good throwback too. Sonic Colors was fun but sadly didn't sell all that well.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I think I might be the only person who likes the Frankenstein look of a Genesis covered in add-ons and stacked cartridges, wires everywhere. I wish modern systems would do it, haha.
    Jesus

Jesus Well-Known Member

The waste of electricity and having to find outlets. On top of that if you used a strip you risked shorting out the circuit. That thing was a monster.