Super Mario Doom

Discussion in 'Super Luigi Bros.: It's-a Luigi Time!' started by FestiVal, Dec 1, 2012.

DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

No wonder he goes on an unstoppable rampage.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Definitely would like to. The only obstacle right now is time. Perhaps later on, once I've made a few more updates to the WAD.
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

I've looked into hi-res sprites and assets for Doom, and found that they are generally lacking, which is why I ask. The people that have the talent and setup necessary to make higher fidelity sprites aren't really available. I've considered taking it on as a project, but that's probably something I'll have to do in the future when I'm not already doing all of my artwork in my spare time but making money with it. There actually aren't that many assets in terms of sprites, there are just a lot of frames.

The question to me would be about aliasing on higher fidelity sprites, and palette lock. See, the palette in Doom is often thought of as a restriction of the previous days, but in the end its browning and greying at lower value levels actually gave the game a visually balanced style where all colors approach the same hue. 3D games after Doom escaped the limitations of color palettes and all floundered visually. Only games with very unified direction really succeeded visually, as otherwise there was nothing tying the colors into a curve. Now that shaders are a viable alternative, it's quite amusing to see curves being reapplied to achieve similar effects.

The modern doom engine replacements, like doomsday, should actually make heavy use of color curving to reintroduce the color curving present in the original palette.

Good luck balancing that palette, btw. Have you considered looking into Blake Stone's or Wolfenstein's palettes as a reference?
    Valigarmander

I've been thinking about it, and it's been sounding more appealing to me lately. Perhaps instead of relying on sprite rips from 2D Mario games, I could use 3D model rips to get sprites. Model rips are easy to come by nowadays, after all. They would definitely look prettier than the blocky, upsized sprites I have right now, and all sprites would be in the same resolution. The only problem is I don't have any 3D model viewing/editing software (though I've been meaning to get some eventually), and even if I did get the software I'd have to learn how to use it.

If I do decide to go that route, I should stop replacing textures with graphics from 16-bit games and use rips from 3D games (Super Mario 64, et al.) instead. Any opinions on this?
    е и ժ е я

I've been messing with Blender and I've half a mind to see if I can get some models in a format to render. The textures and boning the models (...I love saying that) is what takes the most time, afaik. Mario's mostly doable with primitives, though, so maybe I'll just build something from scratch for practice, to start. I'll let you know if it goes anyway.

I recently saw a badassed mod for Fallout 3 that ported Samus in her Other M and Prime incarnations, btw. I guess that guy gets to say he boned Samus.

Blender is totally free if you want to try it, btw. As long as you understand the basic elements, the tutorials will help. I used to actually model my own sprites in an old raytracer, years back.

The textures thing is your call, man. Mario visuals are usually incredibly simple, it's probably pretty easy to recreate them with vectors in PS or something similar. I prefer the 16-bit look, as it feels a bit more unified and memorable IMO.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

But with Samus's line of work, "getting boned" is much more likely referring to an alien life form literally sucking her skeleton out of her body.
    е и ժ е я

^ All in a day's work. And those invertebrates are jealous. It's actually the whole reason why they always attack you on sight.
    Valigarmander

Version 1.1

Well, it's been a while since the first release of the WAD, and I'm about to take a major change in direction as far as graphics go, so now seems like a good time to release a new version. There's nothing drastically different between 1.0 and 1.1, but there are a few little improvements. Here's the list of changes:

• You can now jump on enemies to hurt them. Very special thanks to Doommaster1122 and Kinsie for the original script. Currently, I have the damage done by stomping set to 70, which is about as much damage as a point-blank shotgun blast does on average. I may edit the script later on to make some enemies more or less resistant to stomping. If I ever design custom maps for this WAD, I want to make jumping an integral part of the design (because it's freaking Mario, man).
    • Changed most of the in-game strings to reflect the new Mario-themed items and objects. For example, "You got the chaingun!" is now "You got the Super Scope!" Also, the enemies appearing in the endgame cast roll now have appropriate, Mario-themed names.
    • Replaced the ?-Ball (Computer Area Map) and Magic Potion (Light Amplification Visor) with a Map and Lantern. The sprites are from Zelda games, but they still make way more sense than what I had before.
    • Replaced some of the environmental sound effects (doors, switches, elevators, etc.) with sounds from Super Mario World and other games.
    • Replaced the old Arch-Vile attack sound effects with something more appropriate.
    • Instead of shooting Mancubus fireballs, Whomps now shoot Thwimps. Why not?
    • Replaced the teleport fog graphic. I'd like to change the teleport SFX to the warp sound from Super Mario 64, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    • Gave Mario a second pain sound effect that plays when his health is 25 or lower.
    • Changed one MIDI (the one that plays during the second level of Doom II) to one that's a little less boring.
    • Replaced a handful of wall textures with Mario-themed ones, mainly taken from Super Mario World. Since I'm changing course and planning on using models and textures from 3D games, though, these may not last long.
    • The WAD has been reorganized into PK3 format. This makes the file smaller and also makes it easier for most computers to run. It functions exactly the same as a WAD, though.
    • A second file, MarioDoom_Skins.pk3, is also included. It features multiplayer skins for Luigi, Peach and Wario. However, since this addition was recent, I haven't given these alternate skins unique sprites, and I won't until after I start playing around with the 3D models. Thus, all three skins look like Mario. The voice files are there, though, so feel free to use it if you feel like playing as Mario with Peach's voice. To use MarioDoom_Skins.pk3, just use it in addition to MarioDoom.pk3 when running whatever source port you use. The only bugs I'm having with the skins so far is that only the base skin (Mario) plays its secondary pain sound effect (when health is at or lower than 25), and all skins use the same sound for picking up powerups (Mario's voice saying "Here we go!"). Hopefully I can fix that.

Download version 1.1 here (6MB, RAR). I'd have a video for you, but my computer is hamster-powered and doesn't record very well. Let me know what you think of what I've changed, if you notice any problems, and if you have any suggestions for the next version.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    Valigarmander

I worked around the sound effect bugs with the multiplayer skins by doing this:

[​IMG]

Instead of just being cosmetic skins, they're now different player classes, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. I've got the sounds working and the programming done (save future tweaking), now I just need to work on graphics.
    luigiman0640

luigiman0640 New Member

I could help you with some of the stuff for the WAD.
    I've noticed that the Chaingunner uses the same attack noise as the Shotgunner/Shotgun. I've made a DECORATE actor that fixes that:
    Code:
    actor ChaingunGuy2 : ChaingunGuy replaces ChaingunGuy
    {
        AttackSound "grunt/attack"
    }
    This gives the Chaingunner the same attack noise as the Zombieman/Pistol.
    I could also help with a few SoundFXs, but I'm not too good with sprites.
    Valigarmander likes this.
    Valigarmander

Thanks, dude. When Val made this he actually had no experience with DECORATE, but in the past year he's become much more familiar with it and can program pretty well with it.

As it is, Super Mario Doom is just a purely cosmetic mod, aside from the jump mechanic added in 1.1. Val would like to make a Mario PWAD with fully unique enemies, items, and environments. He just has to stop being lazy first.
    luigiman0640

luigiman0640 New Member

No problem. It's a pleasure to help people with stuff like this.
    Plus, I could try my hand at OpenGL Lighting.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Senpai Ness

Senpai Ness New Member

It might just be me, but the wad won't download, it says that the file is not a valid file when I try to download it.
    Valigarmander

I reuploaded it here. I haven't updated it in a long time and it's unlikely to be updated again, but it's cool that people are still showing interest in it.
    SiFi270

SiFi270 New Member

I made an account here just so I could make some suggestions:

• The partial invisibility powerup should totally be the Vanish Cap from Super Mario 64.
    • The Berserker Pack could likewise be the Metal Cap... Or it could even be the Bull Pot from Wario Land.
    • I'm not too sure about the Computer Map or Light Amplification, but maybe one of them could be the magnifying glass icon from Yoshi's Island? Alternatively, the Light Amplification could be a Li'l Sparky from Super Mario World.
    • What if the Whomp's projectiles were Thwimps?
    • I'm sure you're already satisfied with the Chainsaw analogue, but I think a hammer from Donkey Kong might be better. You could hold the fire button down to swing it rapidly, with the sound effect being replaced with the music from the arcade game.
    Edit: Oh dang I really should have read the whole thread.

Edit 2: This one just occured to me: Maybe the Icon of Sin's projectiles could be those skull and crossbone boxes from SMW, that launched Torpedo Teds.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    Gabriel Brown

Gabriel Brown New Member

Somethings wrong with the link, and I would REALLY like to try this out! Please fix!
    Valigarmander

I've reuploaded it here. Just click the download button in the upper-right corner, extract the .pk3, and you should be good to go.
    Johnthehunter

Johnthehunter New Member

Awesome, thaanks man :smile: