Super Mario Run for Mobile

Discussion in 'Super Luigi Bros.: It's-a Luigi Time!' started by Shane, Sep 7, 2016.

Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

iPhone with Android to follow.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-to-apple-ios-beginning-with-super-mario-run/

And then this happens again. http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/stockdetails/fi-125.1.NTDOY.PINX?ocid=INSFIST10
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

I guess they're not done milking the NSMB aesthetic

It looks ok, has some decent ideas for an autorunner like wall-jumping
    I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! Goku lives on the Sun

Let the whoring begin in full.
    X-3

X-3 The Worst Member Staff Member

^Begin? Mario Teaches Typing is 25 years old.
    I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

That was just Mario being promiscuous. He's working street corners for 99¢-a-pop MTs now.
    Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

I'll be getting this. It looks really well-made.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016, Original Post Date: Sep 8, 2016 ---
    I don't get it. What makes this whoring? Is any company that develops a mobile game automatically "whoring"?
    I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

The mobile runners genre is the epitome of IP prostitution. What would define the notion if not this?

I don't particularly mind but Nintendo is supposed to be innovative and this is about as far removed from innovation as one can get. Just seems lazy. I think Pokémon Go is a fine concept, for example. It's a bit more original though Invizimals did it first, technically.

If if at least brings something to the table then it will be good, in fact it is really smart and I'd probably do it too, I just have low expectations.
    SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

I imagine Nintendo is just testing the waters with mobile gaming. It's tricky to make a good mobile game.
    Festivus Ten

Festivus Ten Happy Dingergisbar! Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

Eh.

I'm not interested. I have all the NSMB platformers I could ever want for the moment.
    CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

Mario appears to jump exactly as high as is necessary at the moment.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    Marilink likes this.
    Shane

Are games like this legitimately monetized, or do they just irritate you until you buy extra lives?
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

Especially becuase the people who tell you that your mobile game wont' sell are the same people who'll produce Intellivision&Colecovision era-esque ripoffs mercilessly when it does.

Didn't Nintendo actually not have a lot to do with Pokémon Ingress-I mean Pokémon GO? And doing it first isn't the thing.... it's doing it right that is the thing. Everyone remembers Minecraft... but fewer remember Furcadia, SecondLife, and the Gmod. hell, even fewer remember Infiniminer which is even CLOSER to Minecraft than those three. Being around at the right time helps, though. (See: LoL.)
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Marilink

So this game is great, btw. Well-designed, great optional challenges (black coin levels are quite tough), and a Modern-Era-Mario Capstone Difficulty level that is very well-done. Definitely worth the $10.
    Bomby likes this.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

Holy ****, it's $10?

Glad that you like it and all, but that's obscene for a runner in my eyes.

Although I guess Nintendo doesn't really care what I think about it since I'm not playing mobile games to begin with. :/
    I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Don't give your money to it or you're supporting sexism.

also its just a runner which is just so lazy and actually fits modern nintendos image
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

I dunno why people freak out over the $10 price point, that's really a steal for how much content they put in the game. Seems like something they'd charge at least twice as much for on the eShop.

I guess it's just because it's the mobile market and people expect games to be dirt-cheap (microtransactions nonwithstanding)
    Marilincarnation likes this.
    Shane

Half the reviews are 1 star. People are not happy when they find out how much you have to pay for most of the content. I'm not sure what else people expect from Nintendo, but apparently it's something different than they expect from mobile gaming.
    Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

Of course Nintendo fanboys would be taken aback by how whoretastic mobile gaming is. You think modern games are bad with the microtransactions? Super Mario Run is tame with this by comparison.

As someone who has delved in mobile gaming, do NOT use this game as a gateway to get into mobile gaming if you already play traditional video games. Mobile games that don't try to wring your wallet dry so audaciously and are worth playing are almost stuff of legend.

As for the game itself, it's a runner. What else is there to say? Sure, it has a Mario spin to it, but it's still a runner and they don't hold my attention very well. I probably would've gotten it if it had a level editor, though.

If it did, you can guarantee I'd have to pay for it.
    Marilink

I feel like y'all are being incredibly dismissive by calling it a "runner." That makes it sound like an endless procedurally-generated reaction-based same-fest like Temple Run or something. That is not what this game is. This game is a NSMB-style Platformer in which Mario is set to auto-run.

It is not endless, it is not procedural. The levels are very intentionally and clearly designed. Each level has 3 color-coin challenges in which you go through variations of the same level in order to collect Pink, Purple, and Black coins in one run. There are 6 worlds with 4 levels each, each level having 3 variations for the coin challenges, and then 3 secret levels that you unlock by completing the coin challenges in every level.

The game scales difficulty well. Black coin challenges are very worthy. The capstone level is hard, in a good way. The game is well-designed.

Not sure why it's necessary to **** all over the game purely because it's on a cell phone.
    SKELETOR likes this.