Super Mario Run for Mobile

Discussion in 'Super Luigi Bros.: It's-a Luigi Time!' started by Shane, Sep 7, 2016.

SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

Nintendo fought with Apple to instill the 10 dollar price point rather than using the microtransaction model, feeling that it would avoid the trouble of kids accidentally buying things on their parent's phone.

For a runner, it looks like it still has that Nintendo-brand quality and polish. They put effort into making it feel more like a Mario game. It certainly seems less lazy than the Sonic runners on mobile.
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

Also, this game is not a cash-in or a milking of the cash cow. The game looks great on a big screen, the level design clearly took tons of effort, and there are no microtransactions. People are treating the $10 price point like it's the worst thing that has ever happened, while some of those same people (not here, mind you) will use "Free to play" as an excuse to spend $300.

I easily got $10 worth of enjoyment out of this game. If I could have bought a Game Boy Mario game for $10 ten years ago, I would have been ecstatic.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Bomby likes this.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

Only mentioned the fact I don't play mobile games to say I'm not comparing it to what's on the appstore. $10 is, for me, crazy steep for what you described on any platform.
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

^$10 is steep for a 24-level-x-3-variation Nintendo-quality platformer?

To each his own, I guess.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

It's not the phone aspect (though that certainly is an inferior way to play any action game) so much as the genre, though I'm sure it's the best of its type (but they sure skimped out on stages since most Mario games have 8 worlds).
    SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

But then most Mario games are 30-40 dollars.
    Antisocial

Antisocial Janitor

I only mentioned it as a runner because that's what it's being advertised as. I'm aware it's mechanically different from traditional runners, but even in a traditional Mario game, levels where you just run and jump never really appealed to me. I blame Super Mario Maker for exacerbating that.

Also, it was really smart on Nintendo's part to add in that Kingdom Builder thing. Mobile gamers love that kind of stuff.
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

People in Mobile Gaming are used to the game being "Free".

The quotes are intentional.

Do keep in mind that mobile gamers are the kind of people who whined and review-score bombed "Where's My Water?" when Disney and Creature Feep released a level pack for a price less than three ****ing dollars..
    X-3

X-3 The Wurst Member Staff Member

So now that Nintendo's third party venture is a catastrophic failure, how will their fifth party coffee-catering business pan out?
    CaptHayfever likes this.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Well, a level pack for $3 is kinda steep for mobile game DLC. Entire games go for $1 so that's DLC for 3x the price.

Everyone is conditioned to expect free though so any price will be a hard bargain.
    Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

People would rather spend a buck at a time because they don't do the math of just how much they dumped each time they got stuck on a level and needed to buy help.
    SKELETOR and Bomby like this.
    Bomby

Bomby Employee of the Month for Oct. 2011 Staff Member

Got it on my iPod, which apparently makes having an Apple product valuable for an entire two things now. I'm actually enjoying the game quite a bit. Obviously, it's not as good as Mario on a console, but it's a fun little time killer.

Apple still sucks though.
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

I don't know how much, this was in like 2012-2013 (the first one) but I think Disney had the gall to charge a whopping $2.50 or so for a level pack.

And no, everyone is conditioned to accept "free". :tongue: Nobody does the math to figure out how mcuh they're actually paying - like what Shane said. So a game with no mictoransactions and just gives you everything like Super Mario Run or Where's My Water is seen as a scam.

Then again, one other thing to mention is the importance of "Whales" in mobile gaming. :frown: And no, that's not a term I made up...
    I am nobody

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

20 years for theft has always bothered me. I don't care if he stole a billion dollars, he shouldn't be treated as a murderer.
    Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

There are two problems with this price. The minimum amount people need to spend is way too high; the maximum amount people are able to spend is way too low. I'm not sure which has more of an impact or if Nintendo chose the correct sweet spot somewhere in the middle. This flat rate may be good in that they don't have to worry about ongoing support like you may expect from a microtransaction game. What you see now is what you get. I wouldn't expect any updates. You may get bug fixes if you are lucky.

American prison sentences are out of whack with reality, but I don't feel sorry for greedy people. Why do you need to accumulate $4.8 million over 7 years? You could easily stop at half that and flee to a country with no extradition treaties, where you could live like a king for the rest of your days.
    I am nobody

The BBC article doesn't mention it, but I've heard elsewhere that he stole it through a company credit card, so I imagine getting enough in easily transportable assets to move to and live in, and pay the inevitable bribes to a country that'd ignore rampant theft would've been difficult. We've both probably just put more thought into this than a guy who dropped more than 20% of his proceeds on Game of War, anyway. Clearly didn't consider the long term much.

And not that it justifies the guy's sentence, (I missed that it was 20 years despite having heard this story about 10 times) but this kind of crime means he's basically permanently screwed himself, anyway. The guy worked in accounting and stole almost $5 million. All the career experience he had is totally worthless now, and with that level of theft, I can't imagine anyone would've risked hiring him for a job with access to anything more valuable than a stapler. I'm sure some people are perfectly happy with those kinds of jobs, but I doubt any of them are the type to steal $4.8 million for plastic surgery and pay-to-win games.