The effects of Trump's election, and the undiscussed aspects of them

Discussion in 'Politics, Philosophy, and Religion' started by I REALLY HATE PHASIANIDAE!, Nov 11, 2016.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

I think this deserves its own distinct topic, but if it is deemed appropriate to merge it into another one that's acceptable.

A lot of people are reporting incidents of hate crimes and harassment after Trump's election, attempting to blame it on Trump. Some of them are verified to be true, others clearly false or very believable, and even verified to be false. No matter what it's clear that there's at least some hate crimes being committed against non-whites and Muslims, and it doesn't even need to be said but that's obviously terrible. However, that's all that's being discussed.

Why isn't anyone talking about this kind of stuff:

There's not only one side to the crimes, and this needs to be acknowledged, and I don't believe it is. So let's discuss it here. Were you aware that this wasn't just a series of despicable, one-sided events? Do you think people are aware, and if not, what do you think should be done to bring the truth to light?
    SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

I was aware day one, that both sides started to break out into violence. People feel the need to take out their frustrations on their apparent enemy rather than sitting together and working things out after such a terrible election.

I dunno how aware other people are of anything, because I always presume they don't care.
    Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

People are more likely to discuss the stories that push their narrative, and the Internet helps with that. When you give something a thumbs up or down, Google or Facebook remembers it. The next time they go to recommend something to you, the algorithm will present you with something you are more likely to click on, thereby potentially isolating you in a bubble.
    SKELETOR likes this.
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha ...swingin the chain... Staff Member

...dunno what there is to be said. Some reported hate-crimes are real, some are falsified. They should all be investigated with full judicial rigour, and the guilty parties should face justice.
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

False accusations are disgusting, and the actual crimes are even worse. It doesn't take anything special to notice that the US is full of crazies, what with the bi-weekly school shootings and all.

Trump isn't nearly as bad as his followers. On his own, he's nothing. This mob mentality crap is ironically the antithesis to community.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 11, 2016, Original Post Date: Nov 11, 2016 ---
    That's deplorable. The easy answer to your question is that's the first I've seen of it. I think we're going to see a lot of people using this as an excuse to do something they were already wanting to do, same as when we get people blaming theft and murder on GTA or whatever.

Trump needs to tell his people to cut it the **** out, but I don't think he has the spine even if he's not a full-fledged bigot himself.

I've already seen more than enough of my left-leaning friends asking for togetherness instead of whatever this is.
    CuccoLady likes this.
    X-3

X-3 Punished Mod Staff Member

When people are afraid, they lash out. One of the jobs of the state is to work to assuage the feelings of the people. I don't trust the Republican Party to do that, not with the kind of people they're appointing to high positions and the rhetoric they're using. (LAW AND ORDER)

And now the Republican Party controls the Presidency, the Senate, the House and the Supreme Court.
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

The Amazing Tazy Ten Happy Dingergisbar! Supporter

This election, surprisingly, is not going to suddenly allow asshats to do as they please. Winning doesn't mean you're given the go ahead to hurt people just as losing doesn't entitle you to retaliation.

I think I said this before but this is probably going to continue until at least Sunday, unless something big takes place in the meantime. Good news is that most people aren't okay with this or trying to justify it. Once the immediate backlash dies down we can deal with it all as it comes.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

That's dangerously close to justifying it.
    X-3

X-3 Punished Mod Staff Member

I was explaining it, not justifying it. We need to understand why things like this happen. You can't solve things like this on a case-by-case basis, you need to understand what's happening at the very roots of society.

This is by no means exclusive to this moment in history.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    SKELETOR likes this.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Is it an accurate explanation is a good question. I think people need to be responsible for their actions and never victimize the innocent. If you attack someone who didn't attack you then you're in the wrong.
    The Missing Link

The Missing Link Professional Lurker Staff Member

I haven't watched the video in question, but I don't think I need to in this case. For what it's worth, my opinion on the matter really boils down to a post I made on Facebook this morning before reading this topic: