The Oxnard Phone Call - JFK Assassination

Discussion in 'Creepy & Unexplained' started by ScottyMcGee, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:43 AM.

ScottyMcGee

ScottyMcGee Super Lab Tech

On November 22, 1963 at 10 A.M., a switchboard operator in Oxnard, California received a call from a woman. The woman said that the president would die in 10 minutes.

The operator who answered the call was Mrs. Bliss. At first, the unidentified woman spoke to herself in a whisper and in rapid succession. Mrs. Bliss described it to the FBI as if the woman were reciting something that was written. When Mrs. Bliss asked if she needed assistance, the the woman replied, "No, thank you," in a clear and normal voice before returning to her "recital" in what was now described as a "definite, rhythmic fast tempo".

Mrs. Shores later joined in on hearing the conversation after Mrs. Bliss wasn't sure what to do or say.

The caller dialed a few numbers and then said faintly, "The President is going to die at 10:10". At hearing this, both operators looked up at the clock. The time was between 10:07 and 10:08 AM. The caller, continuing in the same rapid whisper, next said, "the Justice, the Supreme Court, there's going to be fire in all the windows, the Government is going up in flames."

Meanwhile, as this unfolded, JFK was making his infamous ride through Dallas, Texas. After 10:10 passed without incident, the two operators thought that the woman then placed the receiver on a table and there was no background noise as she proceeded to dial between 12 and 15 digits. It was at this point that Mrs Bliss interrupted again asking if she needed help. The woman, again in a clear and calm voice, said, "No. I'm using the phone." The woman then named at least 12 courts in order of importance from the Supreme Court on down before stating that "The President is going to die at 10:30." But that was not yet the end of it. She followed those statements up with yet another recital of the courts and the words, "The Government takes over everything lock, stock and barrel.” That was the last thing Mrs. Shores could make out. However Mrs. Bliss caught the words "thermostat", "rheostat" and "heostat" before the whispers became inaudible to her as well, and she released the line. The call had lasted an estimated 15 minutes.

JFK got shot at precisely 12:30 PM in Dallas Plaza - which was exactly 10:30 AM back in California's time zone.

The weirder thing? JFK was expected to reach Dallas Plaza at 10:10 AM, but he was delayed by the crowds wanting to greet him.

There was a rumor that the unidentified caller was the late actress Karyn Kupcinet - who mysteriously died 6 days after the assassination. Kupcinet's death was first mentioned in connection with JFK's assassination in 1967 by researched Penn Jones Jr. in his book Forgive My Grief II. Jones claimed that the Associated Press's wire service story about an unidentified woman who placed a phone call on November 22, 1963, from Oxnard, California was Kupcinet.

He claims this because supposedly her father, Irv Kupcinet, had met Jack Ruby in Chicago in the 1940's. The theory goes that Irv had heard of the assassination and told Karyn, who in turn wanted to warn people. Karyn then was killed in a mob hit after word got out about the mysterious caller. The murder was meant to silence Irv about the assassination. Irv fiercely denied ever knowing Jack Ruby and wanted the conspiracy nonsense regarding him and his daughter to stop.

Karyn's friends said she showed as much shock as anyone else when JFK died and was with them in Palm Springs when it happened, not Oxnard.

On the day of her death, Karyn had been acting erratic and emotional. A while ago, she had an illegal abortion. She also claimed to have found an orphaned baby, but that story was later discovered to be untrue. Around this time, she abused diet pills and other prescription medication. She hung out with friends at her apartment and passed out, tired. Her friends left her alone and locked the door. They were the last to see her alive. She was supposed to meet up with actor Mark Goddard and his wife Marcia two days later, the 30th, at their house. When she didn't arrive or call, the Goddards went to her apartment and found her dead and naked, along with bottles of prescription medicine and a note describing all her worries. However, her death was officially ruled a homicide since her hyoid bone, located in the neck, was broken.

In 2013, the Ventura County Star commemorated the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination with a long article about the unknown woman who had used a phone in the vicinity of Oxnard, 50 miles away from Karyn Kupcinet's home, immediately before the shooting of JFK. Citing FBI documents that were declassified decades after the events of November 1963, the Ventura County Star article claims that two telephone operators worked at General Telephone Company. Around 11:35 AM when the manager found out about the call, he called the FBI. The operators described the caller's voice to the FBI. FBI agents questioned the two operators for a very short time after JFK's death. Their description did not match Kupcinet's voice in the slightest, especially regarding her age bracket. Karyn was 22 at the time of her death but the unidentified woman sounded middle-aged.

To this day, the caller remains unknown.

Sources and reading material:

Part of the Warren Commission describing the phone call

Archive of every official JFK investigation document

Kooky forum where I first learned more details about this (I knew about it before just not to the extent of what I know now)

Karyn Kupcinet wiki
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

Your snippet at the end is an almost exact match of the discussion of the call on Kupcinet's Wikipedia page, save for the final sentence:
    And I don't see any reason to disagree with that. People make ridiculous claims about the deaths of those in power all the time - one of them was bound to be right eventually. The fact that everything else she said in the call was just nonsense rambling doesn't lend confidence to her being an exception.

Everything about Kupcinet is just desperate reaching on the part of conspiracy nuts. She wasn't the right age, she didn't live in the right area, and the idea that she knew about the assassination because her father supposedly met Jack Ruby when JFK was still irrelevant is absurd.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 4:34 PM
    ScottyMcGee

ScottyMcGee Super Lab Tech

Oops. I thought I did. I wanted to put it in a separate paragraph because I like keeping each paragraph on one topic. I put the mentally disturbed comment aside until I finished reading everything else, because I wasn't entirely sure what to make of it. I was confused by it because the more detailed story said she was calm and collective - she just spoke quickly saying weird things. But the wiki mentions that the operators labeled her as "mentally disturbed." The more sensational media like Cracked.com and YouTube videos label her as "hysterical", and that's always the common notion when you run into the story - but that appeared to be a misrepresentation. What exactly is the tone of someone "mentally disturbed"? I'm not sure.

I believe Karyn's death clearly had something to do with her illegal abortion. Her faked orphaned baby story indicates delusion and guilt.

Many JFK conspiracy theorists cite this as "definitive proof" that there was some wider conspiracy. Although it's certainly eerie and questionable, my question is why did she call a random operator? Why not straight to 911 or directly to the FBI? Then again, idk how easy it would be back then to look up the FBI's phone number. It's not like they had Google in the early '60's.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 3:43 PM
    X-3

X-3 Punished Mod Staff Member

CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

^^They had phone books.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"