The State of the Mainstream Press

Discussion in 'Politics, Philosophy, and Religion' started by Bad Dragonite, Feb 5, 2017.

Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

Democrats have to love their candidate.

Republicans have to fall in line with their candidate.
    Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Sanders probably got more love than Clinton. Same with Trump. In part because they were building a movement to rage against the machine. In the Democrats' case, the machine won.
    monstrman and Bad Dragonite like this.
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

^ One other thing that contributed to it was that they had how many candidates to split the vote with?
    Shane

The Republicans tested that theory as their last ditch effort. What happens if I drop out of this state and you drop out of that state so we can consolidate our base and deny Trump a win? Oh, he still wins.
    Bad Dragonite

Bad Dragonite So Powerful. So Adorable.

е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

It didn't take long to find the leading questions in that one. Here are my write-in responses:

Do you use a source not listed above?
    Television is not the dominant media platform.

Which online source do you use the most?

I use multiple sources and cross-verify news sources.

Do you trust the mainstream media to tell the truth about the Republican Party’s positions and actions?
    I check sources cited. I do not have to trust any media organisation blindly.

Do you believe that the media unfairly reported on President Trump’s executive order temporarily restricting people entering our country from nations compromised by radical Islamic terrorism?
    I believe the media criticism of this policy and the nature of the order was not harsh enough, and internal criticism of this destructive behavior regarding the Republican Party has been very disappointing.

Were you aware that a poll was released revealing that a majority of Americans actually supported President Trump's temporary restriction executive order?
    Cite your sources. I was not polled and polls are generally only useful for manipulating public opinion.

Do you believe that political correctness has created biased news coverage on both illegal immigration and radical Islamic terrorism?
    I believe the argument against 'political correctness' is an argument against politically critical thinking. Diplomacy is conduct. Politic is conduct. Media and the Republican Party have misconstrued the importance of this "issue" and caused damage to American unity in lieu of addressing actual issues.

Do you believe that contrary to what the media says, raising taxes does not create jobs?

This sounds like an over-simplification. Taxation used to provide services necessary to the general public is rational for many services, whereas privatized services are a way for individuals to re-gear shared and necessary services to siphon profit to the would-be owners.

Do you believe that people of faith have been unfairly characterized by the media?

Muslims are people of faith and have been irresponsibly maligned in an exaggeration of the threat of Islamic Extremism.

Do you believe that the media wrongly attributes gun violence to Second Amendment rights?

Media generally posits the question whether or not gun ownership leads to gun violence. The numbers support this. Media organisations employ multiple persons. Individuals often choose to express their own potentially incomplete ideas about any subject. It is up to anyone witnessing such information to employ their own reasoning skills in verifying the accuracy or usefulness of such opinions, whereas facts are not negotiable.

Do you believe that the media uses slurs rather than facts to attack conservative stances on issues like border control, religious liberties, and ObamaCare?
    If a person displays xenophobic behavior, they may be described as a xenophobe. Accusations can be true. What they are searching for is evidence that backs up the accused's claims. Without substantial evidence, a person displaying potentially xenophobic behavior may be concluded xenophobic. Many persons in the Republican party have consistently misrepresented security interests, and used unsubstantiated claims of foreign threats to support these exaggerations.

Do you believe that the media purposely tries to divide Republicans against each other in order to help elect Democrats?
    The bipartisanal alignment is a false dichotomy. Republicans are against each other in many things.

Do you believe that the media creates false feuds within our Party in order to make us seem divided?
    This seems like a rephrasing of the question above.

Do you believe that if Republicans were obstructing Obama like Democrats are doing to President Trump, the mainstream media would attack Republicans?
    The Republican party unquestionably obstructed the normal function of the government while President Obama was in office.

Do you agree with President Trump’s media strategy to cut through the media’s noise and deliver our message straight to the people?
    This sounds like the President intends to circumvent fact-checking to deliver propaganda.

Do you believe that our Party should spend more time and resources holding the mainstream media accountable?
    This would likely result in threat to the Freedom of the Press, a constitutionally guaranteed right. I would prefer the Republican Party focus on improving the lives of citizens directly and tangibly.
    Bomby likes this.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

Huh. I probably shouldn't.
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

The Amazing Tazy Ten Happy Dingergisbar! Supporter

I hope he likes what I sent him.
    CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

Were you aware that a poll was released revealing that a majority of Americans actually supported President Trump's temporary restriction executive order?
    Yes, but I am also aware that another poll was released revealing the opposite, so I ignored both polls and based my opinion on the unconstitutionality and incompetent implementation of the order.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    е и ժ е я

Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

^That headline alone is pretty great.
    е и ժ е я

Snowflake needs a safe space
    CaptHayfever

They threw out all the previous answers & are opening the poll again. I just re-took it. If you have auto-complete, it saved your responses so you don't have to remember them.

е и ժ е я

Oh good. Because doing this a second time to soothe the ego of the idiot who doesn't accept his own poll is sure to make me happier. Let me put on my best echo chamber voice. I've modified my answers to better suit the delicate sensibilities of the GoP:

Do you believe that the media has been far too quick to spread false stories about our movement?
    You know, it wouldn't warrant any special attention if this 'movement' were not simply a rebranding of cronyism and anti-fact dissidents in the first place. Try not being full of ****, for starters. I'd apologise for my language, but that would imply that I were sorry.

Do you believe that the media uses slurs rather than facts to attack conservative stances on issues like border control, religious liberties, and ObamaCare?
    If a person displays xenophobic behavior, they may be described as a xenophobe. Accusations can be true. What they are searching for is evidence that backs up the accused's claims. Without substantial evidence, a person displaying potentially xenophobic behavior may be concluded xenophobic. Many persons in the Republican party have consistently misrepresented security interests, and used unsubstantiated claims of foreign threats to support these exaggerations. "ObamaCare" is an example of unwarranted name-calling and labelling.. Stones and glass houses.

Do you believe that the mainstream media has been too eager to jump to conclusions about rumored stories?
    Who you define as the 'mainstream media' has not already been established. What are you alleging, and against whom? Use your words.

Do you agree with the President’s decision to break with tradition by giving lesser known reporters and bloggers the chance to ask the White House Press Secretary questions?
    Is this the pretty way of saying he gives preferential treatment to cronies to control the parties with whom he interacts? Is Putin one of these 'lesser known reporters and bloggers', or does that merely fall under the usual or 'widely known' kind of treason?

Do you agree with President Trump’s media strategy to cut through the media’s noise and deliver our message straight to the people?

This sounds like the President intends to circumvent fact-checking to deliver propaganda. Trump apparently isn't even sure what he had for breakfast this morning. But I suppose we do need yet another voice, one willing to provide us totally valid and trustworthy information about who is acceptable to grab by the ***** and which of his daughters the president finds the most attractive. Bonus points if you can make it the same story.

Am I being a good republican yet?
    United Nations and CaptHayfever like this.
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

Man, the survey was a doozy, but I love the completion message most of all:
    They might as well have just said "Would you like to fun the GOP Cult of Personality?"
    Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan I am in great pain; please help me. Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

I joined the President Fun Club and now I get exclusive political tips and tricks
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

Shane

Internet polling 101. If the traffic is organic, you can reasonably predict the results. If someone has a vested interest in trolling the results, you can lose control of it very quickly.
    CaptHayfever

Any polling 101. If you ask invalid questions, you should expect unreliable results. (And you should expect smart people to call you out on it.)

Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan I am in great pain; please help me. Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

When I took it, I honestly answered and i know many others did.
    CaptHayfever likes this.