Unofficially Official US Primaries Thread

Discussion in 'Politics, Philosophy, and Religion' started by Kargath, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Bomby

Bomby Employee of the Month for Oct. 2011 Staff Member

You know, there was a time when John McCain was someone I respected in spite of political differences. Man, what happened there?
    CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

^He lost the 2000 nomination to Dubya, then he picked Palin as his running mate in '08, then he's been just trying to stay in the party's good graces ever since.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan CERO MIEDO Staff Member

appealing to the nutjob portion of the right eventually caught up to them, basically
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

^ Pandering to reliable voters (or The Two Is, as I call them) does tend to have some consequences when you lose control of them. :tongue:

Been telling these people since the 90s. We need to start getting rid of these parties.

Heck, Washington beat me to it in the 1790s warning about parties... you just know that a good portion of the people in the GOP are only standing united because otherwise, they'll get kicked out. The GOP is very good at controlling their dissenters.
    CaptHayfever likes this.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

^The GOP is many things, but they aren't in any way good at controlling dissenters. That problem has given them the Tea Party, cost Cantor his seat to an insurgent, led almost 20 candidates in one primary, and ultimately Trump.
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

I'd actually argue that they are good with dissenters. Just that the Tea Party is what happens when you lose control of your Two Is.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Auron

Auron Plague Butt

What the Republican party is really good at, is (with the help of Fox News) keeping a large portion of this country stupid and ignorant to the **** that they actually do. I forgot exactly how the quote went or where I saw it, but I remember seeing something along the lines of "the Republican party is a bunch of entitled rich people who manage to convince poor people that the reason they are poor is because of other poor people." The Democrats are by no means saints either, but the amount of shady things the Republican party gets away with, along with their government policies give me very little confidence that anything will ever improve in my life.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Our suffering won't end on November 8th.
    Deku Tree

Deku Tree Awesome Current Events and PPR Mod Staff Member

I don't care. If the Cubs lose the NLCS and try to show up to the World Series, it's not like they get to play.
    Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Both establishment parties are responsible for the anti-establishment campaigns that have tried to dethrone them. The Democrats were just more effective at screwing Sanders, although I'm not sure he ever really had a chance regardless. They are also responsible for the other side. Obama carries a lot of the blame for the rise of Trump, and if Trump loses, another Trump will rise in 4 years unless perhaps Clinton is a lot better than Obama has been. Of course, there will also be a rise of another Sanders or Sanders himself if he's not too old in 4 or 8 years, with a better chance of winning as greater numbers of today's youth get to voting age.

Fox only exists as a counter to everybody else. CBS, NBC, and ABC ran 15-20 times as much coverage of the Trump tape than of Wikileaks. Which one is more important depends on your stance, but neither is 20 times more important than the other. CNN even went so far as to say it's illegal for you to have any Wikileaks information yourself, so you have to get it from them. Honest. Please don't try to get your information from multiple sources. We'll tell you the truth.
    X-3

X-3 The Wurst Member Staff Member

How? Is it because he exists?
    ZeldaGirl and CaptHayfever like this.
    Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan CERO MIEDO Staff Member

I know one thing about Obama that many Trump supporters hate...
    Shane

Foreign policy that has contributed to the world being more dangerous now, for which we can in large part thank Hillary, which is one reason why she is arguably more of the same, no matter how moderate she supposedly is on paper. On the home front, an anemic economic recovery, the slowest since World War II, with a labor force participation rate stuck at a level not seen since 1978 (nobody found work... they just quit looking). The counter is that he doesn't deserve the blame, but credit isn't worthy either. The key accomplishment that most will point to is Obamacare, which most people hate and don't want to be stuck with. Some good aspects, which could have been implemented without a 2000 page bill that nobody read, but a lot of "unintended consequences". Even Bill Clinton came out against it because he kind of has to. It looks set to implode on itself, leaving the next President to either fix or get rid of it. This has created a great position for someone to come around with angry rhetoric to rile up an angry populace. Trump's message is a good one for someone looking to capitalize on that. His well known personal baggage and political incorrectness is where he keeps stumbling.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

McMullin is now second-favorite in Utah, although that's been calculated from some polls with incredibly varied opinions on him. His support from those in the last week ranges from 20-30%, which in turn causes an absurd 21-point swing from Trump's most favorable 16% advantage to his most favorable 5% advantage. It'll be quite interesting to see how that one ends.
    CaptHayfever likes this.
    ScottyMcGee

ScottyMcGee Super Lab Tech

Reminds me. I was watching part of the Jimmy Carter/Reagan debate on YouTube and I was just like "Wow. . .wow. . .it's so. . .civil. . .and informative. Like actually informative."
    The Missing Link likes this.
    ZeldaGirl

ZeldaGirl Awesome member

Statistically, the world is safer than it's ever been. Also, holy **** revisionist history! The reality is the US has been meddling where it shouldn't long before Hillary came along - I don't agree with all her actions, but to say "a large part" of all the world's problems were created by this single woman is outright ridiculous. And it ignores decades of US bullish interventionism, ALL of which has contributed to our current perception and situation in the world now.

Obamacare isn't perfect, but before it the exact same thing was happening - premiums were going up, and Republicans were not talking meaningfully about getting more people insured (and really struggled around pre-existing conditions). And those things are undeniably good and have helped people. So, we're in the same place as before except more people have a greater chance of surviving (physically and financially) a medical emergency.

Trump has no meaningful policy to enact. His major issues are based on lies (immigration) and he has demonstrated time and time again he does not engage in meaningful study or preparation to actually understand complex sociopolitical issues. THAT, plus the other stuff, is why he keeps stumbling.
    ~spookylady~ likes this.
    Shane

I agree that Obama didn't start the problems in the Middle East, but they have become worse on his watch. Now Hillary is threatening war with the country with the most nukes in the world. That would end well.

My insurance premiums have gone up 65% under Obamacare. Looking at the projections, I assume that will be about 90% for 2017, so almost double in 3 years, with worse coverage and higher payments at the point of purchase. As unsustainable as the US healthcare market is, this was not happening before. And that is for employer provided coverage. I wouldn't want to touch it on the open market.

If the Clinton camp and the news media felt policy were the way to beat Trump, they would be focusing on it. All I have heard for weeks is about a video.
    CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever Awesome Smash Bros Mod Staff Member

^The average voter is more likely to decide based on "he's a rapist" or "she's a liar" than based on "his economic strategy is completely unsound" or "her Senatorial voting record shows a lack of respect for civil liberties."

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
    Deku Tree

Deku Tree Awesome Current Events and PPR Mod Staff Member

We get the campaigns we deserve, I suppose.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.