Unpopular gaming opinions.

Discussion in 'General Gaming - Ten Hut!' started by VG_Addict, Apr 19, 2017.

I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

Nintendo's stock is up about 30% since launch as well.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

The original Donkey King Country was not a very good game. 2 and 3 were both better by every measure.
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

I've aired this one before, but I'll say it again: Double Dash!! is one of the weakest entries in the Mario Kart series.
    CaptHayfever and е и ժ е я like this.
    Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan I am in great pain; please help me. Staff Member

I'm inclined to agree. The gimmick is cool but it's probably the last of the console games I'd go to if I wanted to play Mario Kart.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

Characters were better in DKC1.
    mushroom

mushroom Occasionally exists Supporter

probable unpopular opinion: 3 is better than 2
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

i actually never thought donkey kong himself was super-appealing as a protagonist. Too beefy to be an underdog and too goofy to be a badass.
    Apollo the Just likes this.
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

Apparently, we must - then again I run into more "PC master race" types who sneer at anyone who dares play a console... or even so much play a game (like NieR) with a controller. :O (I would include my opinions on the PC gaming community, but that's not an unpopular opinion. :tongue: )

Now, some more unpopular opinions!

* The N-Gage actually tried a few things that were ahead of its time... but for everything it did right, it did about one or two things wrong.
    * I think "Download cards" help let people know that a game exists - the Vita didn't have that, and it seemed like retailers thought there was nothing on it so they shuffled it to the floor (Toys R Us), behind the Hidden Object games (Wal-Mart and Target) or in a corner away from everything else (GameStop). I swear Best Buy was the only retailer that actually didn't seem to hate the Vita and want gone - they actually had a freaking screen with ads for the indies available on the Vita!
    * Valve actually isn't as good as people say they are.
    * 3D platformer does not have to equal Collect-a-thon.
    * I was wary of the "Kickstarter Spiritual Successors" back when Mighty no. 9 got that hyped kickstarter - cause nostalgia-bait can only go so far.
    * Playtonic wasn't mismanaging their money or anything - they delivered on their promise and made an N64-era platformer. For better and for worse.
    * many games from the 90s just have not aged well.
    * I like Super Paper Mario the best out of the paper mario games. FIGHT ME!
    * You will never play a video game that replicates the feeling of you playing a game for the first time in the 80s or 90s - so stop expecting games to replicate that. You will only be disappointed when your 20-30 years of experience playing more polished and refined games bites you right in the arse and makes you feel disappointed.
    * The "Worst games of all time" to me are not popular games that I don't like - but games that're flat out UNPLAYABLE. ie, the Jim Sterling-Bait Steam Greenlight games
    * Survival games, especially Early Access survival games, are the Zombie Apocalypse of gaming - this genre needs to die, die, DIE. STOP MAKING THESE ****ING THINGS PEOPLE!!! Minecraft and Starbound are already more than we need!!
    * The term "Early Access" is frequently used as a shield against criticism of utterly broken games.
    * YouTube Fodder/PewdieBait games like the "___ Simulator 201X" are no longer funny and "FNAF and Amnesia did this!" are no longer scary. Stop making them - Tattle Tail and Tony Hawk's Pro Sktater 5 are lightning strikes. (And Tattle-Tail was good cause it had a nice little thing called "Atmosphere" and mystique and wasn't designed to bait some loquacious youtuber afraid of their own shadow like Markiplier to play them with their face in the corner)
    * If you're streaming yourself playing a multiplayer game and are showing yourself cheating, you should be banned. I don't care how much you're "giving free advertisement" - you're encouraging people to cheat. (I'm looking at you Niantic and your refusal to ban YouTubers streaming themselves spoofing)
    * 99.9999% of streamers are freaking BORING.
    * There is no such thing as an "Entertaining Minecraft YouTube Channel". ergo them being on the decline is means to let the joyous news be spread the wicked old witch at last is dead.
    * LetsPlays that go on for hundreds of episodes are dull. Looking at you Binding of Isaac.
    * I don't care about eSports.
    SmackDownPete

SmackDownPete Member

Even after finally playing Dark Souls 3. I still like Bloodbourne much better than any of the Dark Souls games.
    The Amazing Tazy Ten

The Amazing Tazy Ten I'm tired. Goodnight. Zzzzzzzzz! Supporter

In limbo playing Tactics A2 for eternity.
    Well, most of the enemies in that stage are annoying fliers that are made to collide with you. Tellies respawn endlessly and the birds can be a nightmare. Especially in that ladder section where getting hit can cause you to fall off the screen and cause everything to reset. It's not too bad because it's not instant kill but I see where you're coming from.

Here's another hot take unpopular opinion: If you go into Lost Levels with the expectation that it's going to be really difficult then it's not that bad. It'll make you respect the inner workings of Super Mario Brothers, which is more than a lot of "hard" games try to do.
    Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

After a twitter war with @Marilink i realized the more unpopular opinion is probably, I also like SPM better than TTYD

(I absolutely love TTYD but it's my least favorite of the first 3 games, mostly because it's too confined; it has like no physical depth - it's almost entirely left/right oriented, so it feels less immersive IMO. SPM fully committed to 2D and has way more vertical space to compensate, whereas TTYD feels like a weird middle ground in that regard. And this one complaint is enough to put TTYD in 3rd place because I'm hugely reliant on worlds feeling expansive in some way for replay value)
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    SKELETOR and Marilink like this.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

TTYD being in the same formula as PM is what makes it good. I just didn't care for SPM because I wanted a third PM, not something new and different pretending to be PM. I could probably appreciate it for what it is if it weren't for the fact it hijacked the series.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

Heresy!

But we need more heresy!

- Persona 4/3's Chie and Aigis are not good characters.
    - KotoR 2's ending is abrupt, but honestly pretty good. The cut content, by contrast, is shockingly bad, and Obsidian absolutely made the correct call in killing it. It wasn't worth trying to restore.
    - Minish Cap is the best 2D Zelda after aLttP. It's probably #4 in the series as a whole.
    - Super Mario Sunshine is better than Galaxy, although I like both of them.
    - The English voice acting in Japanese games is (usually) at least as good.
    Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

^ I want to like that post for Sunshine and Minish Cap, but I can't because of the Aigis and Chie shade, and the claim that English dub voice acting is usually good.

Although, Fuuka Yamagishi *IS* a good character and this is also apparently unpopular?? Everyone I know hates her and she's one of my favorites.

^^ like, I do get that, but it's such a good game in its own right I'm not even mad. And it wouldn't be itself without the paper dimension gimmicks first played with in TTYD, so it's gotta be a PM game.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Minish Cap is more fun than LttP but I'm not sure it's better from a technical standpoint in regard to game design. LttP is crafted really damn well, it's hard to say. Aigis is a decent character but I won't defend Chie. Also, English dubs are usually better.

As far as Sunshine goes, I think it is the best in the series right behind SMB3.
    X-3

X-3 Punished Mod Staff Member

I thought MC was pretty boring and had some poor design decisions. Looking back, I can say that the GBA version of LttP of all things had better controls.
    Deku Tree

Deku Tree Awesome Current Events and PPR Mod Staff Member

As much as I enjoyed KotoR 2, I really struggle to remember the story.
    Marilink

Marilink Sailboat to the Island of Your Desires Staff Member

I just realized I don't have that many unpopular gaming opinions.

Uh...

-While I miss some older features here and there, I don't think the Pokemon series has ever regressed in overall quality.

-Donkey Kong is now its own series and shouldn't be considered a Mario spinoff except in origin.

-The tri-split Zelda timeline is fun and I'm glad it exists.

-It's great that Smash Bros. Brawl has so many tracks from so many different games, but most of the remixes/rearrangements are sub-par and for most of the OST I'd rather just be listening to an OCRemix playlist.
    DarkZero likes this.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

If it weren't for the Mario & DK games I could agree, but since that is a series they're pretty intertwined beyond their origin game.
    DarkZero

DarkZero Beep-N-Boop Guy Supporter

ok but sonic and mario clearly aren't related series just because they keep going to the olympics together