What political views/opinions have you changed on, if any, and why?

Discussion in 'Politics, Philosophy, and Religion' started by I REALLY HATE PHASIANIDAE!, Oct 26, 2016.

I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

Was gonna post this, but apparently XenForo finally added a move posts button. All the abortion posts are in their own thread now.
    Valighoulmander likes this.
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Very good.

I thought of another one: my views on women and feminism. In particular, I used to have a very flippant attitude towards sexual assault. I brought it with me when I first joined this forum and it's still something I'm ashamed of. I also had a "nice guy" outlook on my relationship troubles for a while.

I think having female friends has helped me grow a lot, especially those who have been victims themselves. It's opened my eyes to the **** so many women have to put up with. Like most of my views it wasn't something that changed overnight, but one that has evolved over time. I've grown more and more invested in womens' issues through the years, but I don't think I considered myself a feminist until maybe a couple years ago.
    SKELETOR, ~spookylady~ and UNdead like this.
    Bomby

Bomby Employee of the Month for Oct. 2011 Staff Member

GMO Foods. I was mistrusting of them at first, figuring it was just a cheap way to produce less healthy foods. Then I actually did a significant amount of research on them a few years back, and seeing the potential they have to cut down on malnutrition (and in fact create healthier food), conserve our water supply, reduce farmland, sustain harsh weather conditions... I'm now an enthusiastic supporter. There are still things that need to be taken care of in terms of keeping up with biodiversity, but that's what scientific research is for.
    SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

I will say, this is something that very much resonates with me as well. In the DC area in particular, you don't see as much of the things women generally have to put up with. Travelling and hanging out with females more often, I have realized that not everywhere is quite like this. Especially down south, in my experience.
    ScottyMcGee

ScottyMcGee Super Lab Tech

I grew up in a strict Catholic school from pre-k all the way to 8th grade. There was a time when I actually remember being against homosexuality. I didn't consider them bad people per se but I remember arguing that it was "unnatural" and "not normal." Then when I graduated and entered freshman year of high school, I just snapped out of it or whatever. I just thought one day "lol why did I think that?"
    Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

That other thread is so tldr;. I'm pro-abortion but always have been. I don't refer to the stances by cutesy nicknames. This is the one positive I can see from a Clinton presidency, if Roe v. Wade is actually in any real danger 40 years later.
    SKELETOR

SKELETOR Overlord of Evil

Only abortions allowed, eh? No more children allowed.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! Goku lives on the Sun

My views on crime and punishment aside from just the death penalty have shifted also, I should add. I thought throwing the book at everyone was the best course of action, but it actually just leads people who could otherwise be rehabilitated to become institutionalized. I by no means think we should be easy on criminals, but things need to be taken on a case-by-case basis. I remember a documentary where corrupt judges were sentencing kids for minor s*** so they could make money, it was pretty disgusting.
    Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan I am in great pain; please help me. Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

I grew up in a very conservative household but I've become more moderate, slightly to the left around the time I was in middle school. Biggest changes came especially on gay rights, welfare, climate change, crime and punishment and gun control
    Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

I accept your proposal.
    Bomby

Bomby Employee of the Month for Oct. 2011 Staff Member

It's the anti-life, anti-choice position.
    SKELETOR and ~spookylady~ like this.
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

Any particularly major changes happened a long time ago, while I was a child. When I was a kid, we used to still have all of those "police are there to help" and "the laws are there to protect you" ideas floating around. School was inherently good for you, adults cared about you, etc. I thought that trying your best and giving it your all was something others would appreciate, and it was a way to achieve success and affection.

In short, I didn't have any reason to doubt ideas like this, as these ideas were untested in my youth. I learned that these things were not true the hard way - that police would harrass me for being the wrong age or wearing the wrong clothes in public, that they were racist and would always find a reason to bother any black folks passing through town. I learned that laws could be pedantic or even hateful, that regulations prevented people from doing things like building a deck on their home without permission or putting up a sign to advertise their business effectively. I was shown how School was mostly fluff and bureaucratic nonsense that did not effectively care for the individual, that adults would accredit my competence to the worksheets they had forced on me. I was also shown that the institution was a career field and that my behavior affected the success of others, that performance attracts attention and that attention would mostly be negative - and while it may be positive, it was a token positivity intended to incentivise performance, without any actual heartfelt reward taking place. This lead me to conclude that accomplishments made for the goals others intended for me were hollow. I realised that when I needed to learn to perform in a field, I could on a whim, and so the whole system of proof-of-ability was routinely a waste of effort.

So obviously, on top of the general knowledge that people can and would choose to dislike you/harrass you for any reason they could - because the harrassers were simply ****ty people, not because you'd done anything - that all made me a very bitter person. It took a long time for me to skew back toward not being the embodiment of f***off as I realised that the place I grew up in and the things I lost or were deprived were not universal. I also came to terms with the knowledge that people simply do not expect children to be perceptive, least of all with adults. Most of all, the system was simply not built in a way that could accept or process the concept that it was not necessary on occasion.

So now I just see things from the perspective that people do not look at the bigger picture and you cannot honestly believe that the ideas others would teach without firsthand experience and knowledge are remotely credible. I have also modified my thoughts over time on some institutions of authority, etc, as I now realize that authority simply attracts the worst people who want the most to have their say and are usually owing to the fact that they are most convinced that they are correct. In that sense, it is a natural factor that those who seek authority are the most inflexible in thought, and are often those who are the least capable of affecting outcome without the application of authority, even while others may be capable of doing as much.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

I enjoyed your post but I'm curious about this part. Why do you think that someone cannot teach something without firsthand experience? For an example, I remember when my sister had a kid and I gave her advice that she literally laughed off, stating that as a person who is not a parent (and without any experience with children), that I couldn't know what I was talking about. She stayed with that view until the last couple years, finally admitting that I'd been right on most things, and that my advice was sound.

Not to make an argument of it, just curious where you (like my sister) get that idea. It makes sense on the surface so it's not like I can't comprehend the notion, and it is likely accurate most often, but I'd still like to know.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ Staff Member

I meant that a person cannot claim authority on a subject when their ideas are untested in that field. Their ideas not inherently worthless but they also do not carry inherent worth simply by being someone's best guess. The fidelity of an idea depends upon its being proven and the evidence supporting it. Any person no matter how educated and clever can still be incorrect when he is forced to guess with little evidence.
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

You've pretty muc hbeen eating GMOs for life, anyway.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

We've also been breathing pollution for life, doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned.
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

^ Considering that GMOs have been in use since the ancient Sumerians and Egyptians... (Do you really think corn grows that way naturally? Or Avocado? That would have gone extinct at the end of the ice age were it not for Mexico! Or "God, he makes the peaches"?)

It's one of those misconceptions - like how anything "Bad' is a chemical, when if you listed all the "ingredients" of a nice, healthy, organic apple, you'd come up with loads of chemicals.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Not sure which technicality you're referring to regarding Egyptians but the "evrthign is a kemical" one doesn't go far at all. It's just pedantism.
    I am nobody

I am nobody I am not mean spam Staff Member

Which we were, enough so to put decades of research into the effects of both. As a result, there's a broad consensus that air pollution is generally bad for you and that GMOs are generally safe. You're free to doubt all of that research, but until someone comes up with compelling evidence that it's flawed, we shouldn't be building coal plants in the middle of our cities or denying famine-hit areas potentially life-saving food sources.
    I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

^ Feed the hungry with GMOs, don't invade all food for everyone. I can dig up examples of things we thought were safe or even healthy but turned out not to be if you'd like. Some day people may look back and scoff at our ignorance and naivety.