You know you're a 90s kid if you had one of these....

Discussion in 'General Gaming - Ten Hut!' started by Jesus, Jul 14, 2017 at 6:32 PM.

Jesus

Jesus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm talking about strategy guides. A must-have for video game completionists back in the day. I remember being in elementary school and getting Earthbound. It had the strategy guide included with the game and inside there were scratch-and-sniff cards!

[​IMG]

The last one you had to guess what the smell was, then mail in your answer. I always thought the prize would be replicas of the clay figures used for the enemies and protagonists shown in the guide.

It was pizza as I remember guessing. I got a Mach Pizza air freshener which I still have in my collection of games and stuff

Then there was the case of Zelda Ocarina of Time. I had a strategy guide for that game as well and I remember it not being official Nintendo because it had a lot of sarcasm inside of it from the author throughout.

What strategy guides do any of you remember buying as a kid? Do you still own any? What games do you wish you had guides for? Do you even still use strategy guides or just the internet now?
    Apollo the Just

Apollo the Just Dragon Enthusiast Staff Member

I owned a Wind Waker one. Or rather it's more accurate to say my sister did. I read it cover to cover years before I even played the game (I was "LOL CELDA" but somehow interested enough to read or at least skim through hundreds of pages about it??), spoiling myself to Tetra being Zelda.... which iirc actually made me want to play the game more because I liked Zelda's design, and because I didn't know that Zelda was in the game and was excited to see that she was.

We also had a multi hundred page online OoT walkthrough/FAQ/strategy guide that my sister found and PRINTED OUT IN ITS ENTIRETY. We had that for YEARS, printed in blue ink for some reason. I read that cover to cover too and refused to play the Shadow Temple without it. It's also how I learned about the fun stuff you could do with Gossip Stones, like turning them into rockets. Not an official guide though so not sure if counts.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017 at 8:12 AM
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

I owned a few, including some for games I didn't own at the time. I think the last one I bought was for Metroid Prime Trilogy.
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha serves as great comic relief Staff Member

I like strategy guides. Even though they've kind of been rendered moot by the existence of GameFAQs.

Got a pile of 'em. My faves are the old Gamefan 'Soul Blade' guide, NP's SMB3 guide, and the hardcover guide/artbooks for 'Assassins Creed II' and 'Mirror's Edge' (I don't mind tellin you, going from mere guide to guide/artbook is a pretty smart move. That's a carrot, right there. I mean, it's kind of hedgin bets, but I'd rather get half an artbook than none at all, right).

Third-party strat guides, now, they're the worst. Got one for 'Goldeneye'---------------being generic, they naturally weren't allowed to use any art assets from the game's marketing or the Bond license as a whole, so it's pretty much just screenshots and strategy. (Kind of a mediocre guide, too. One would assume the guide would have had higher standards applied to it if it'd had dudes from Nintendo, Rareware and Eon Productions looking over it.) (Also I loaned it to a friend, and it came back really gross. As if he left it sit on a coffee table and things spilled on it lots.)
    Valigarmander

Valigarmander Creepy Mario Mod Staff Member Supporter

Top Poster Of Month

^ I had a few third-party guides. Some of them could be unintentionally amusing with their dubious "tips" and inability to get character names or basic lore right.

PROTIP: MAKE SURE YOU GRAB THE FREEZE LASER. THAT'S THE ONLY WEAPON METROID CAN USE TO DEFEAT THE SPACE SQUIDS.
    Booyakasha

Booyakasha serves as great comic relief Staff Member

Still feel like a dummy for buying that guide. You get what you pay for. (Also 'Goldeneye' is a pretty simple game. "Move forward and kill the bad guys." Apparently that idea had me stymied back then.)
    United Nations

United Nations Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV

I had a Kingdom Hearts guide. I think my grandma bought it for me.
    Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan I am in great pain; please help me. Staff Member

I had a few Pokemon ones
    Apollo the Just

Oh I definitely had a Pokémon Gold/Silver one too come to think of it
    Calamity Panfan

Calamity Panfan I am in great pain; please help me. Staff Member

yeah thinking on it I had three: Pokemon Crystal, Pokemon Emerald and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
    Sim Kid

Sim Kid Well-Known Member

I remember how some of these guides were based off of beta versions or were half-completed.

I wish I still had my guide on the Oracle-games - there was an issue with the Seasons one that made me get stuck on one, cause it directed me to the wrong room. And the idiots on GameFAQs used this guide and would forget to mention "oh yeah this room has a switch", since these guides actually didn't come with a map.

And how the "Hero's path" or whatever link dungeon literally didn't show you it at all, aside from "oh yeah this part where you have to hit the switch with the magic boomerang is insanely difficult". Oh, so helpful!
    Apollo the Just

^ ok, speaking of oracles games and the 90s......

.......did anyone else have video game-based Choose Your Adventure books?? I had the Oracle of Ages one. Read it multiple times, making sure to cover every bad end and everything. The choices were always really dumb like "there's a Switch that is out of reach" and you choose between "Jump" and "look for another way to access the switch". Gee I wonder which is the right one. Good times though, plus I liked the art style and it was illustrated.