Octopath Traveler

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

steeze

Re: Octopath Traveler

Post by steeze » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:59 am

I started with Therion made my way down to Alfyn and now I'm going back up to H'aanit.

So far the boss battles haven't been too difficult. It is the beginning after all still.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:18 pm

I think I've settled on Warrior Tressa, Apothecary Ophilia, Scholar Primrose, and Merchant Cyrus. That covers every element and weapon type, most of them twice. Ophilia and Primrose can hit at least one weakness of almost anything while also covering healing/buffing, and Tressa and Cyrus use their infinite SP to nuke broken enemies.

I just have Olberic's story left for Chapter 2. My main party is 34/32/30/33 right now, so it's looking like there's going to be another grinding session to make it to the C3 stories once I've suffered through this one.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:05 pm

You can make it through some Chapter 3 bosses with strategy (mostly Thief's Shackle ability because of all of the physical AoE attacks bosses do in this game) and good equipment. Anyway I've been swapping party members around often so I don't have a set party but I have been thinking of a potential endgame party: (if there is an endgame)
Spoiler.
Merchant/Dancer
Thief/Cleric
Hunter/Warrior
Scholar/Whatever

Another possibility I was thinking of was

Merchant/Cleric
Apothecary/Dancer (Apothecary is kind of mediocre on its own, but Alfyn's Concoct is mad versatile when it comes to hitting elemental weaknesses)
Hunter/Thief
Scholar/Warrior?

or maybe

Merchant/Thief
Dancer/Cleric
Hunter/Warrior
Scholar/Whatever

But for now, Tressa is a Scholar because her higher level means big damage. Also it seems like SP is borderline irrelevant between Second Wind, SP Saver and having a high SP number. Because SW recovers SP based on a percent of your total SP you can easily recover more than you spend.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:33 am

I realized I was actually misremembering the C3 level gates, so I should be fine. Alfyn's is 32 and Tressa's is 34, and the EXP from those should be enough to bring the others in range.

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 am

I'm knee-deep in Chapter 3 stories (completed Alfyn and Olberic, about to finish Tressa). I've basically been rotating my party the entire time--just slotting in whoever is the lowest level, and adjusting jobs based on what I need. The only static party member is Warrior H'aanit because of the DAMAGE, but even then I might re-class her for a little bit just to spice things up. (since right now she's just holding a couple thousand JP and has already learned every Hunter and Warrior skill)

for the record, in Olberic's story there are some pretty dramatic one-on-one duels, and it really sucks the gravity out of the situation when he's wearing a silly merchant cap the whole time

Anyway, similar to X-3, my potential endgame party will likely be...
Spoiler.
H'aanit @ Warrior
Therion @ Merchant
Primrose @ Cleric
Cyrus @ Apothecary

H'aanit, Therion, and Primrose are my "for sure" members. Cyrus is flexible. I might end up replacing him with Alfyn @ Cleric or Ophilia @ Scholar, both of which would make me adjust to Primrose to either Scholar or Apothecary.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:23 pm

I'm going to save most of my criticisms for my inevitable two-sentence long review but right now I'll just say that Primrose's story does not handle gameplay/story segregation in regards to party members very well. The stories as a whole try to avoid writing situations that would be considered 'impossible' if a player's party has more than the central character in it, but her story ends up with at least two situations where such situations arise. It's a minor nitpick maybe but it stands out to me, exacerbated by her Chapter 3 being pretty telegraphed as a whole. If you want a quick example, there's her Chapter 2 where
Spoiler.
She convinces a carriage-driver to take her to a secret location. This becomes a bit harder to believe if she's bringing 3 party members along.
So far I'd say Alfyn and Olberic's stories are the best so far in terms of character arc/personal challenges.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Olberic’s story has surprisingly grown on me. He’s a boring character, but the game is surprisingly aware of the fact that he is a boring character, and they actually make it play into the storytelling.

Alfyn is becoming my favorite character. I did not expect that.

^I thought the same thing about Primrose’s chapter two, but my personal explanation is that
Spoiler.
The brothel is not actually very far from Stillsnow, so the rest of the party just trailed the carriage on foot.

...which doesn’t make much sense because it makes the carriage irrelevant anyway. But, uh, can’t win ‘em all, I guess

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:30 pm

Same spoiler.
Spoiler.
It was unclear to me why they couldn't just do that anyway. I mean, it's a horse-drawn carriage in the snow. What can the guard possibly do to stop you from following him at a bit of a distance?
Olberic's story having one-on-one duels just makes it even less appealing since the guy is level 7 right now. I decided to just put him off until the end and come back once I can get him to a reasonable level from a handful of fights.

But for the record, having effective level gates for specific characters in a game without EXP leak is really, really stupid.

I did Tressa's C3 last night and didn't have too much trouble with it thanks in large part to Ophilia's divine skill. Tressa and Cyrus can each do 8-10k damage in a turn with the double trigger, and following up with whatever the spammy spear attack is called usually just about solo'ed the boss back to a broken state. There was a random mob in the cave that wiped me, though - those guys were way harder than the actual boss.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:52 pm

^The lack of EXP share/leak is annoying, it's true. I've been able to get around it, but it sure would be nice to have around.

btw guys Ophilia's story goes some places

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:40 pm

just bought the game yesterday after playing the prologue demo. I haven't played it much yet, but I'm liking it so far

Auron

Post by Auron » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:42 pm

A collection of random thoughts I've had over the last few days:

So far the only boss that beat me (aside from me getting over ambitious and trying to go into the Forest of No Return with a level 38-40 party. Oops.) was Therion's C3 boss. That was just more or less me getting nailed by some bad RNG though where he defended my worst case weak points (all multi-hit magic, all weapons besides staves), made his dodge better, increased his break points, stole my healers SP, stole everyone's HP, and cleaved everyone 1-2 times a turn. Yuck.

Immediately tried him again and beat him in like, 5 turns. Go figure. :shrug:

My gear is also getting pretty bad. I need to start bringing Tressa around so I can collect more money and start buying all the good stuff from NPCs in town.

I haven't had too much trouble with under-leveled characters yet. I've been trying to rotate them in evenly. And at this point H'aanit (being the person I can't remove) is so over leveled and hits so damn hard it doesn't really matter too much if one person is too low (besides god damn Olberic and his duel crap). Armor debuffed, fully broken bosses being hit by an attack buffed Brand's Thunder are taking about 25k-30k damage a pop. Woof.

And a random story thought (through the end of chapter 3):
Spoiler.
The tonal shift between some of these stories is almost jarring. You have Tressa who is a happy go lucky merchant on a quest to find treasure who meets a former pirate and learns the value of friendship. And then you have Alfen who is a nice guy who learns how s****y the world is when he saves a man who murders people and stabs children. Not saying any of it is bad, it just almost feels like two completely different games.

And one more question I had. I know how each character has two unique things they can do. One is the hero action (Provoke, Challenge, Steal, etc.) but the other is either a field or battle action. Olberic can defend to take damage for the party, Therion opens purple chests, Alfin has his concoctions, Cyrus reveals a free weakness, H'aanit is a Pokemon trainer, and Tressa finds disturbing amounts of dead bodies with money. Is the only thing Ophillia and Primrose do is get people to follow them and summon them into battle? Because it just feels like they get less than the others do for some reason, especially Primrose who needs to rely on RNG to seduce a character who then may or may not even be useful.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:16 pm

^Olberic's Cover ability is not actually his personal talent, that's a Warrior Support Skill. Olberic's personal talent is that he can Boost his Defend command, and it is about as useless as it sounds. (I'm sure there is a use for it, but I have not discovered what it is.)

But yeah, Ophilia and Primrose's personal talent is just to Summon their Guided/Allured NPC into battle. But I've actually found those to be quite useful, especially if you get the right people. There's a Knight Ardante in front of the cathedral in Goldshore that I just kept going back to so Ophilia could bring him along again and again.

Btw, I have finished Ophilia's story. I really like the direction it took at the end. I haven't decided which story I'm going to complete next, because my next course of action is to get the final four Secondary Jobs, a task I've already begun by getting Starseer. These optional bosses are not messing around.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:35 pm

I grabbed the last four jobs yesterday and have only 3 stories left to finish. I thought Ophilia's story was the weakest overall.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:06 pm

^yeah? It’s the only one I’ve finished, but I liked it a lot. Maybe I just identified with her whole church work angle, and that’s why I am into it. I do think that this game handles religion better than almost any other JRPG in my memory. Usually the goal is to defeat God, not to work for him. So I appreciated that about Ophilia’s storyline.

Auron

Post by Auron » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:27 am

So I decided to unlock the last for jobs before tackling my chapter 4 dungeons. I only did Ophillia's so far, but holy crap did those new jobs made that fight super easy. Literally killed him in three turns and took zero damage. Gross.

Extra job thoughts:
Spoiler.
Runelord Tressa needs to be given a shout out for how filthy she actually is. The Transfer Rune ability synergizes incredibly well with her Merchant skills. 4 BP Sidesteps for the whole party. Party wide Rests are nice too. When I tried the Warmaster shrine, I had Tressa as a Cleric. Tried it twice. It went poorly. Decided to make her a Runelord and abandoned a party healer for **** and giggles. I got hit once the whole fight.

If you have decent enough weapons, the Warmaster Divine Skill pretty much blows all of my other damage skills out of the water. Was hitting everything in sight for like, 35k+ a pop without armor debuffs. And it hits everything on screen too. When you have a Starseer and a Merchant pumping a Warmaster full of BP, gross.

Sorcerer makes pretty much any random encounter super trivial. Being able to hit any element 3 times on every enemy on the screen is a bit broken. Slap on an SP Saver, Second Wind, and maybe a Dragon Scarf for overkill, and you have an endless mana battery powering a weapon of mass destruction.

Starseer gives out more BP I guess. Haven't had too much time to experiment with it. :shrug:

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:11 am

^same spoiler
Spoiler.
I only have Starseer right now, but I like it. I was underleveled for the boss fight, but I had a pretty awesome strategy—I boosted Ophilia with Sealticge’s Seduction, then had Phili give a 3x reflective veil to the whole party. As soon as the boss woke up and did Shooting Stars, my entire party just reflected everything, and I sat there for 15 seconds just watching the boss take 1500+damage 12 times. Rinse and repeat until cooked.

Starseer looks like a great Support class. I’ll probably slap it on Ophilia or Primrose, depending on who I have.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:10 pm

^^I have the exact same thoughts about those jobs. The Transfer Rune thing must have been thought of because IIRC there's only like 3 skills in the game that target just the caster.

Auron

Post by Auron » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Well, Merchant has two and Warrior has three, but good luck figuring out what the practical purpose of giving Incite to the whole party is.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:00 pm

^Might reduce the likelihood of certain enemies using buffs/heals or single target attacks depending on how the AI is implemented.

Auron

Post by Auron » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:39 pm

So here's my end game party question (is there an end game):
Spoiler.
Right now the mainstays appear to be Warmaster H'aanit, Runeblade Tressa, and Sorcerer Cyrus. I can't whether I want Starseer Ophillia for healing and extra utility, or if I want maybe a Thief Alfin for his concoct heals and ability to debuff bosses. Hmmm...

Return to “Nintendo Main”