LABO VR kit is finally here!

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

LABO VR kit is finally here!

Post by Deepfake » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:39 pm

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

steeze

Re: LABO VR kit is finally here!

Post by steeze » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:56 am

This literally makes my blood boil.

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:26 am

^ lmao why chief
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:14 am

I find that avoiding high altitudes helps reduce the risk of boiling blood.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 am

е и ժ е я wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:26 am
^ lmao why chief
It's just a money grab. Cardboard VR? THIS AIN'T IT CHIEF. Nintendo comes out with dumb accessory after dumb accessory and this one may be the worst one yet. I can't get past the cardboard. If your kid steps on it or your pet decides to pick it up with their mouth it's already damaged. You'll see. You'll all see.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:12 pm

you dont have to buy it

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:26 pm

steeze wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 am
е и ժ е я wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:26 am
^ lmao why chief
It's just a money grab. Cardboard VR? THIS AIN'T IT CHIEF. Nintendo comes out with dumb accessory after dumb accessory and this one may be the worst one yet. I can't get past the cardboard. If your kid steps on it or your pet decides to pick it up with their mouth it's already damaged. You'll see. You'll all see.
The game-builder software shipping with it disagrees with it being 'just a cash grab'. A 'cash grab' is something like the NES mini. This is a new software and interface. Don't get your knickers in a twist if it's not your interest, hombre.

Personally, I am very interested in them stepping out into VR, and it indicates they may be testing the waters. I think if any company is the one to deliver on ease-of-use and practical applications in VR settings, it's Nintendo.

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:17 pm

I'm very interested in VR. Remember this?

https://store.google.com/us/config/goog ... lsrc=aw.ds

That's from 2014.

If this was any other company they'd be getting laughed at. The bar has never been lower. You guys are actually going to pick this up? I mean to each his own if you have a kid I get it but still.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:37 am

You have a fair concern. I know I certainly wouldn't be able to leave this sitting out because my cats like to gnaw on cardboard. But the solution is....just don't leave it sitting out. Put it away when you're not using it.

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:37 am

steeze wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:17 pm
I'm very interested in VR. Remember this?

https://store.google.com/us/config/goog ... lsrc=aw.ds

That's from 2014.

If this was any other company they'd be getting laughed at. The bar has never been lower. You guys are actually going to pick this up? I mean to each his own if you have a kid I get it but still.
Google isn't a games developer, and that's a platform that doesn't inherently include any kind of proper uniform input methods and lacks consistency in tech. Many mid range phones even lack gyroscopic sensors. Almost every aspect of the Switch's design implies it was created with VR in mind.
е и ժ е я wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:26 pm
I think if any company is the one to deliver on ease-of-use and practical applications in VR settings, it's Nintendo.

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:39 am

CaptHayfever wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:37 am
You have a fair concern. I know I certainly wouldn't be able to leave this sitting out because my cats like to gnaw on cardboard. But the solution is....just don't leave it sitting out. Put it away when you're not using it.

Right, and there's no one stopping us from making it with more permanent materials. The main cost is in the software, that besides. No offense meant, but anyone who complains about the durability of the cardboard is obviously not a very resourceful person.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:16 am

I'm not really interested in loading up softball ad hominems but I will say this, I get the selling point. Consumers can build it with their kids, and they're kids, so they don't care what material it's made of. As for me spending time and money after spending 40 bucks on a starter kit then another 40 on the rest to go then and have to improve a product myself, just isn't likely. 3D printing isn't an unrealistic approach to improving these products at all. If you have a 3D printer lying around your basement.

If you don't then more than likely you will be purchasing these modifications online. That's more money spent towards third-party accessories which Nintendo isn't capitalizing on. If these accessories do indeed "improve" these products why would someone go and order spare kits to fold and assemble from Nintendo? Why not charge double the money, make the VR accessories, and have a sustainable product that could branch out into additional VR titles. The Virtual Boy failed because the world didn't have the technology or marketing to succeed. They do now. So what are they waiting for?

The main reason that this bothers me is that Nintendo chose to wait years before even dipping their foot into VR again and when they did, they gave us this. The waters have already been tested in VR. It has a viable market. Why on earth would they think it wouldn't be profitable in 2019? Additionally, maybe they will do what I've outlined as the sales figures add up and they have their reassurance to enter into the fold. However, if the sales figures don't add up, the product doesn't do well enough in their eyes it would be a false summit. An inaccurate representation of how far VR could climb for them because they didn't try to climb as high as other (more profitable) companies have in just the past year alone. I'm not looking at this as a sustainable product. They certainly aren't. Which is why I called this a cash grab. Which is a dumb thing to do because if you're gonna rob a bank you might want to consider the vault. Not the register.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:27 am

The cheapest 3D printers cost almost as much as the Switch itself, which I couldn't afford & only have because we got one as a wedding gift.

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:07 pm

CaptHayfever wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:27 am
The cheapest 3D printers cost almost as much as the Switch itself, which I couldn't afford & only have because we got one as a wedding gift.

You can actually use online services to print for you, don't have to worry about the hardware yourself. Not that I'm saying you have to 3D print anything, you could make whatever you want the conventional way by hand, once you've got the gist of it.

Return to “Nintendo Main”