If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Ocarina of Time UHD texture replacement, Shaders, & Romhack (by me)

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Thanks very much for saying so! I'm doing tests for importing new world models to Hyrule Field right now. It seems that Blender is exporting obj files with incorrect integers which are causing problems for my utilities. That said, I will post results if I come by any.

Edit: Sorted the problem. The scale of the map was much larger than it should've been.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:27 am

Last major work I did for OoT UHD was work on low-poly assets and inject them into the rom with some community-built utilities. I've stress-tested the engine to see how it and the different graphics plugins respond to alpha textures and higher polycounts. The prospect is actually rather good, and I have some methods in mind for building unique areas in the game. Here is a screen of one of the variants of the 'Hilltest' stage model where I'm testing and building assets. These models are running natively in the engine with original textures in vanilla N64 format, they are not UHD assets and this is a test stage intended exclusively to test the limitations of the engine:

Things to note are that I do not necessarily intend to actually put a high quantity of dense, tall grass into Ocarina as much as I might like to, the engine simply is not made to handle such amounts of alpha transparency. Rather, terrain and foliage were the most obvious likely stressors I will have to deal with. In most instances, the grass effect at this height is actually quite jarring and tends to clip through at/around child Link's shoulder and face.

The engine itself has displayed some interesting characteristics in the degree of fidelity it can track vertices. All objects imported as a world model were restricted to a certain amount of decimal places, and anything finer in that is rounded to the next number, so smaller details such as the tree branches had a tendency to occasionally distort in ways that were more obvious ways. Overall, I'm satisfied with the way the engine performed and I believe I can build relatively detailed environments. Also, the general world model (including hills in the background) may appear modestly sized due to the angle and placement of the camera, as well as that of the textures which I only assigned lazily, but the world model itself is scaled to something like 2 or more times the size of Hyrule Field and the time it would take to walk across it reflects that.

Trees and other such objects in the vanilla game are handled as actor objects rather than part of the world model, and that is both likely because they can then be culled at different times from the rest of the world model while calling in repeating data for the purpose of compressing the model's data consumption, but also so they are not as limited by the vertex locking that I've seen when dealing with the world model.

(actually an older screen than the previous)

Noteworthy: The obelisk bricks are rendered with 2 polygon layers per side, and they do not repeat anywhere around the model. The base of it is surrounded by large candles, all of which have a unique appearance and shape but all of the candles use the same texture graphic mapped to different positions. Despite this, my approach to lighting has remained fairly convincing (even at low-res) and I'm pleased by this. The textures, like most others I've shown, were hand-drawn.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:46 am

I've fixed a few of the bad image links and updated the original/main post. I'll replace the others as patience permits.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Goddamn this is looking sick. It's hard to believe those candles and trees and grass can exist in the engine considering the blocks we were given in the official product.

....Reminds me that there is a certain project I have been neglecting to work on for months OOPS
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

St. Tazy Ten

Re: Ocarina of Time UHD texture replacement, Shaders, & Romhack (by me)

Post by St. Tazy Ten » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 am

Sure wish I knew where that was.

Good job regardless though.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 am

The Amazing Tazy Ten wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 am
Sure wish I knew where that was.

Good job regardless though.
As stated previously, it's a testing stage model imported to the game, so not meant to represent anywhere previously in OoT. If you want to get technical, it's replacing one of the debug stages known as "sasatest" and its Room id is 117, and you could play the hacked ROM and you would not encounter it without loading the debug menu and its address.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:52 am

Looks absolutely amazing, AYEEYE!! *gives you marshmallows* :D

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 am

Heroine of the Dragon wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:52 am
Looks absolutely amazing, AYEEYE!! *gives you marshmallows* :D
Thank

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”