Let's Race Link to the Past Randomizer

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

S1x

Let's Race Link to the Past Randomizer

Post by S1x » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:46 am

Next run: See post 136

It turns out that running a Zelda game with items tossed into different places than usual is pretty fun. Check out this topic for more info.

Let's see how each of us can do running the same seed every so often! We'll use whichever version of the VT Randomizer is the most current.

The listed time is a recommended, but not required, start time. Posting "I'm in" just confirms that I'll send you the file or the seed shortly before. You can then technically run it at your convenience any time after, as long as you don't peek at spoilers we may have shared. Post your "Total Time" at the end of the credits when done.

Next run: 8PM EST on Saturday February 3rd
Mode: Standard, Normal

Let's start simple. In Standard, you start by doing the rescue sequence at Hyrule Castle, and you're guaranteed to get a sword from your uncle. The other variant, Open, starts with Zelda pre-rescued, and it's possible to not find a sword for a while.

We can discuss here whether to go with Normal or Easy difficulty. In Easy difficulty, the item pool has extra copies of swords, shields, armor, bottles, and magic.

And if you haven't tried the randomizer before (or possibly haven't played normal LttP), don't be intimidated! Tell me or somebody else that's done this if you're struggling with setting it up to practice.
Last edited by S1x on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: Let's Race Link to the Past Randomizer

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:50 am

I'm in. I haven't played through ALttP in the better part of a decade and I'm only vaguely familiar with most of the item locations, so my time will probably be atrocious. But this sounds fun anyway.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:14 am

I'll give it a shot. Can't guarantee I'll finish since I've been abandoning a lot of replays lately, but we'll see how far I get.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:02 am

I’m in. I think Normal Standard is a good way to go.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:40 am

Personally I think Open is more fun but I'm in regardless.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:45 am

^We can work our way up to it, but I think we should start out slow.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:58 pm

NO :mad:

DAY 1 SWORDLESS INSANE ALL DUNGEONS KEYSANITY w/ MAJOR GLITCHES OR BUST

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 pm

/in with the caveat that I am trash and will likely die repeatedly

Will we get to pick sprites or no?
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

S1x

Post by S1x » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 pm

If you want to swap out Link's sprite I can tell you the string I'll use for the seed so you can generate it yourself

S1x

Post by S1x » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Also if you're not super familiar with the world and only have the time to look at one resource, let it be this one that addresses most cases that got people (including myself) stuck

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:37 am

whoa, this process has gotten a lot more involved in the last year and a half since I first did a randomizer run.

Pretty sure I got it all figured out now, though.

S1x

Post by S1x » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Sending it about 6 hours from this post. If you haven't posted yet and you have time today, you can still participate

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:36 pm

Taking a break for my own sanity. I’ve learned a lot of valuable lessons on this run. Won’t look at spoilers in the meantime.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:48 pm

Finished
Spoiler.
"""Real"""-Time: 2:10:50 (took a small dinner break around 52 minutes and paused it until I got back)

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:02 am

This... is going to take me a while.

S1x

Post by S1x » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:42 am

Done
Spoiler.

My best "Defeat Ganon" by almost 30 minutes!
I'm assisting people streaming (no spoilers, just tips), so I'll give thoughts a bit later

S1x

Post by S1x » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:29 pm

This is how I progressed through the seed. If you're still going and intend to finish yourself, please do not click
Spoiler.
I scoured the Light World spots to find Hammer, Mirror, Flippers, and Book. Swam to hobo under the bridge for the Glove.
Went into Desert Palace, got Boots and Moon Pearl inside, got Hookshot on the ledge outside, and dashed in the library to get Fire Rod. Proceeded to the Dark World.
I already had the gear to full clear 3 Dark World Dungeons; I chose Swamp Palace first. Beat the boss by switching repeatedly between Hookshot and Hammer. One of the chests had the Mitts, letting me access Ice Palace.
Found the Lamp in the hammer peg field in the Dark World. I didn't try any dark rooms.
Found Bow in Skull Woods, and omg, that's every item I need to beat all the crystal dungeons except Master Sword. I cleared each boss with the assistance of many potions, found Master Sword in Palace of Darkness, got the remaining crystals, and ascended the final tower.
I challenged Ganon with only Master Sword, 14 hearts, and Blue Mail. No cape or half magic. Failed once, filled my 3 bottles with potions, dealt the final blow with no potions and 2 hearts. That was pretty intense.

I believe this is the first seed I've played where I didn't go into a pendant dungeon at all

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:36 pm

What I remember of my progression
Spoiler.
Thieves Town was my first dungeon (as it usually is) because nothing is required to beat it and Blind always dies after 9 hits. I wasted some time going back there because I was missing the key to the Big Chest and I came to the conclusion that the key to that room must have been in that chest.I had an easier time with the final fight because (IIRC) i snagged the Tempered Sword and Red Mail from East Death Mountain. My Fire-Bat dodging was atrocious but I had a Red Potion on hand. (originally bought it for Mothula because of how nasty that fight can go) I also had a terrible Ganon's Tower (17/22) because I went left instead of right. Then I wasted time in the tile room getting at least one key for that one room upstairs only to find that the key was in the chest where it usually is...

S1x

Post by S1x » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:22 pm

How about this for the next run:

5PM EST on Saturday February 17th
Easy, Standard, Goal: Master Sword Pedestal

When the goal is set to Master Sword Pedestal, that means that the Triforce is waiting there. Once you get the three Pendants and pull it, you win the game. The items you need to clear those dungeons can still be stashed within the other dungeons (and occasionally, in Ganon's Tower!), but usually, this makes it shorter than Defeat Ganon runs. Combined with an earlier start time, this should make it so that more people can finish in one sitting.

Easy mode is so that people can practice their execution with less risks for situations like very early Dark World being required.

Thoughts?

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:39 pm

YES
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”