W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝͚̳

Moderator: Scarecrow

Sim Kid

Re: W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:26 pm

The Pokémon.

Are you familiar with the term, "Uncanny Valley"?

Apollo the Just

Re: W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:49 am

i dont understand how i know people who have watched these trailers and think this looks good

this is like.... the 90's SMB live action of our times

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:02 pm

No, the pokemon trailer is horrible. I was talking about the Aladdin trailer.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Aside from a nightmarish visage (which would be the case for any actor, probably), Smith has an entirely different acting presence than Williams. It's not great.

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:49 am

No one had the acting presence of Robin Williams honestly. It's sad that such a brilliant actor would cut his time short the way he did. The show must go on though. I can't really comment on how the movie will be and how he'll be as the genie off one line on a trailer.

I'd say Will Smith all around is a pretty successful actor. Been nominated at the academy before they were being accused of whitewashing everything. Won a bunch of times for best actor at the BET awards. He's a funny presence in most movies. Most likely I'll be dragged to this by my Disney obsessed other half so don't get my hopes down, or I'm in for an hour and a half of pain.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:21 pm

I like some movies starring Will Smith, especially Independence Day and Men in Black, but I just can't see him as Genie. He has a different comedic style than I expect from Robin Williams (who, by the way, I actually like less than Will Smith). If I were to cast for Genie I'd go with someone more erratic like Williams was, I think Jim Carry is really similar enough to make it work.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Apollo the Just wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:49 am
i dont understand how i know people who have watched these trailers and think this looks good

this is like.... the 90's SMB live action of our times
The difference is that this actually looks like a competent film

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:10 pm

I think SMB is better than people give it credit for, it's decent. Pretty sure Detective Pikachu seems to be riding on franchise and Reynolds alone.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:18 pm

I get a decidedly different feeling from the trailers. It seems like they're putting a lot more effort into this than I would have anticipated, honestly.

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Jim Carey is done doing films for the most part. He's doing a Showtime series now but I doubt he ever wants to do Hollywood blockbusters anymore. He's shared his disdain for the business multiple times. He just wants to do his art and trash trump nowadays. Act the way he wants to act and play the roles he feels comfortable with. I can hardly blame him after all the dumb roles he's taken over the years.

The only person that came to my mind as an alternate for the role that would be a good fit was Mike Myers. He's got a good voice for the goofy dialogue that the genie has. He can get serious in a role and it's still light-hearted. He's getting up there in years but it's not like he'd be out there shirtless without special effects or CGI.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:43 pm

^^ They're definitely putting effort into it, I just personally don't get the hype for Reynolds, and his co-star (who I've never heard of) seems to be a bad actor based on the trailer. The Pokemon designs are questionable. I'm curious how it turns out anyway.

^ I didn't know Jim Carrey left movies behind, that's too bad. I know he likes **** on Trump but that's basically seems like Hollywood in general. Still, I think he could have nailed it. Mike Myers is a good option too, I forgot about him.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun May 12, 2019 7:16 pm

yall this movie is so bad

it is entertaining in a fever dream kind of way but it is just bad and had so many of the worst storytelling tropes in the book that it is almost impressive

i'm in awe

it was a ride tho and i definitely was not bored.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 pm

it isn't good, but it IS entertaining, so if you go you'll probably enjoy yourself.

too bad the plot has about ****-all to do with what makes pokemon pokemon, though.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Should have gone hard 'R'. Detective Pikachu (plus eyepatch, minus two fingers) dismantles a Westie coke ring in 'If You Can't Stand the Heat, Stay Out Of Hell's Kitchen'!!!

[EDIT: You know, I never would have thought Jigglypuff would be all fuzzy. I thought she'd be rubbery, like a balloon. It's an interesting design choice.]
the eternal sneaky wriggler, twistier than god's own corkscrew, sharp as split lightning

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed May 15, 2019 9:53 pm

yeah i'm with AJ it's a fun time at the movies but I'd have a hard time saying it's a *good* movie

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon May 20, 2019 12:13 pm

I enjoyed myself, but the movie was definitely just okay.

Also, why did they keep pronouncing it "po-ki-mon" when they were clearly in Sci-Fi Tokyo?? Shoutouts to Squeege for pointing that out because now I can't not pay attention to it and it drives me nuts
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

Return to “Pokemon: Alola”