If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

XEODRIFTER

Moderator: е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

XEODRIFTER

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 am

So I recently downloaded this little game, apparently from the same folks who made Mutant MUDDS. It's deeply Metroid inspired and yet has its own polished traits and interpretations, probably my favorite of which happens to be that rather than gain new weapons, the player receives modular weapon upgrade cores which can be slotted into a variety of optional changes to how the default beam works. These upgrades include one which can cause the beam to move in a sine-wave, a scatter shot, more frequent firing, faster projectiles, and more powerful projectiles. Various unique and familiar mobility enhancements unlock access to new routes and challenges in fairly non-linear settings, and the player can travel between four different planets by returning to his ship.

The only weak point, I would say, is in the music, which leaves me wishing for a proper sound track. While the sounds and instrumentation are not particularly irritating, it can feel sparse and lack direction at times, and the mood sometimes does seem at odds with the game, but those occasions were only a matter of my choosing to focus on the music which otherwise tends to sit comfortably in the background.

If you're feeling like having a quick romp through an alternate take on what is clearly an homage to Metroid, I'd suggest you give it a shot. It's available on 3DS, Wii U, Switch, Steam/Windows, PS4, and PSVita
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: XEODRIFTER

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:46 am

I didn't care for Mutant Mudds too much but Xeodrifter was kinda neat. There's more weak points than just the music though imo, of which I can't remember a bit, but the graphics aren't too nice either. The bosses were plain crap too. Obviously the story was weak, if there even was one, and the character designs weren't interesting, but despite all of that criticism I found the core gameplay to be very smooth. Really, that's what saves it. The physics blow any 2D Metroid I've played out of the water, control was never an issue, and the level design was never too cryptic.

It's a pretty solid game and I think a sequel could address its issues. I agree it is worth a shot. It's quite short too, something I like about it.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 am

I think that the graphical resolution could've perhaps been a bit higher for the game to really shine visually, but I enjoyed the art style myself. The different planets feel at least visually separate while the enemies are distinct and function primarily as obstacles.

Character design is, for me, a difficult subject. Often times, character emphasis leaves me unfulfilled as it can be an indicator that the designer didn't have their priorities straight, and they often feel very every-man cliche or just unremarkable in their attributes. I did at times actually wonder about the player avatar's motivations and how it felt more as though I was the villain than anything else, which was somewhat motivating to me in the sense that I wondered where else the game would go.

The bosses presented solid gameplay and had good tells while increasing challenge significantly for short periods and presenting a way to transition emphasis from exploration and avoidance to engaged combat and cause-effect scenarios. While I would've liked to see more variety (the bosses are all clearly the same species with similar abilities) they served their purpose in terms of game-design and did so quite well.

The gameplay and controls are certainly the high-point for the game. I would say that if you were expecting strong core character development, or more complex visuals, then perhaps something else had set you up with expectations beyond a glance at the functions of the game. I think that just a little bit more time in the oven would've benefitted the game overall, but I do hope a sequel will be made which both improves on the game's flaws and provides more variety in combat and some overall explanation with perhaps some more distinct and unique individual locations.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:33 am

I will have to keep this on my radar. I’m a little surprised this is the first I’m hearing of it. Thanks for sharing, AI.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:45 am

I can see it has Weird Norfair Bubble Fungi, so I'm sold.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:01 am

Valigarmander wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:45 am
I can see it has Weird Norfair Bubble Fungi, so I'm sold.
Yeah, that's why I chose a shot of that area. There's also a sort of Geiger-like world and some MegaMan-ish looking sections. Overall it makes one wonder about the occasionally obvious artificial traits in a similar way a first time through a Metroid might.

Return to “Metroid: Self-Destruct Sequence Activated”