If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

My teacher explained why smoking is so hard to quit.

Moderator: March

Jesus

My teacher explained why smoking is so hard to quit.

Post by Jesus » Fri May 10, 2013 9:42 pm

You can't expect someone to quit smoking by using an alternative like a nicotine patch or an e-cigarette. It's much more than just a nicotine addiction which is why patches and gum have failed so much. E-cigarettes are just a more fancy way of smoking and is a trend that isn't healthier by any bit. You can try to break them free from the chemical addictions, but to actually break the actual habit of smoking a cigarette is something that's much harder that no medication can do. For instance, we eat chocolate and love to eat chocolate. If you use an alternative to chocolate that tastes the exact same, you'll just start eating that. You haven't actually broken the habit. Those who have nervous ticks like scratching their hair is much like that habit of wanting to smoke a cigarette. I thought that was pretty interesting and just wanted to share that. I think it's related to fitness and health in a way.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Sat May 11, 2013 8:18 am

You must resist.

I think it really all comes down to sheer willpower and self-discipline when it comes to breaking such addictions.

Failing that, you can always get yourself jailed.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am

E-cigs aren't used for breaking addiction; they're used for getting a fix without the additional negative effects of tobacco & tar & secondhand smoke & crud.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat May 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Habits that you love can be hard to break, I suppose. I just quit drinking coffee around 3 or more weeks ago? I used to have 4 or more cups a day, but it wasn't doing as much for me anymore, and that much caffeine was just draining my body of everything that stops you from feeling like crap. I'm a trim guy and my body doesn't keep much excess anything, so I guess it makes sense. Always been easier for me, though, I just seem to enjoy things less intensely than other people, overall, so it's pretty easy to just stop.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

b l a n k

Post by b l a n k » Sat May 11, 2013 1:35 pm

I've never smoked, drank, done drugs, or gambled in my life, but I'm amazed that 1/3 of the world still smokes, including a quarter of all Americans, despite what science has proven a gazillion times since the late 1960s.

My best advice: have the courage to say "no." Or pray. That works too.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat May 11, 2013 1:44 pm

None of those things are inherently bad on their own. It's using them as a crutch for happiness in your lifestyle that can ruin you sooner than later.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

b l a n k

Post by b l a n k » Sat May 11, 2013 1:55 pm

Tunnel Snakes RULE! wrote:None of those things are inherently bad on their own. It's using them as a crutch for happiness in your lifestyle that can ruin you sooner than later.
Everything in moderation. That's one of my many mottos for life.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun May 12, 2013 9:32 am

^^ Meth is not bad unless you use it as a crutch?

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun May 12, 2013 11:14 am

"Doing drugs" is not synonymous with meth, and obviously that isn't what I meant at all. That beside, you wouldn't be trying that specifically at all if you weren't desperate for something. Nobody wakes up and says "I'm going to do meth today" and simply begins their hard drug addiction.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun May 12, 2013 11:58 am

This is also why many former smokers always feel like they need to have something in their hands. I've actually never smoked in my life, but due to the fact that I work so much, I always feel the need to have a pen in my hand and almost feel naked without it.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

1-up Salesman

Post by 1-up Salesman » Sun May 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Tunnel Snakes RULE! wrote:"Doing drugs" is not synonymous with meth, and obviously that isn't what I meant at all. That beside, you wouldn't be trying that specifically at all if you weren't desperate for something. Nobody wakes up and says "I'm going to do meth today" and simply begins their hard drug addiction.
Challenge accepted.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun May 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Coke, acid, meth...most drugs, the common and favorite ones are synonymous with drugs. One could cite more harmless drugs but most are bad for even a single use, even marijuana can be dangerous.

They may not wake up one day to try it, but one day they just do. Not much difference.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun May 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Some of the most addicitive and popular drugs are legitimate medicines and pain killers. In a notable recent study 300% more people had been found to have died by use of legal pharmaceuticals than banned drugs.
In 2007, cocaine was responsible for 843 deaths, heroin for 121, methamphetamines for 25 and marijuana for zero, for a total of 989 deaths. In contrast, 2,328 people were killed by opioid painkillers, including Vicodin and Oxycontin, and 743 were killed by drugs containing benzodiazepine, including the depressants Valium and Xanax.
An analysis of 168,900 autopsies conducted in Florida in 2007 found that three times as many people were killed by legal drugs as by cocaine, heroin and all methamphetamines put together. According to state law enforcement officials, this is a sign of a burgeoning prescription drug abuse problem.
You are not well educated on this subject, I'm afraid. The drugs you are concerned with are much less common or accessible and represent a small portion of the issue of substance abuse. Unfortunately, many drug abuse prevention programs are being used as more of a tool to promote the continuing war on drugs, and are creating a false perception that illegal drugs are the sole source of drug abuse.

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Mon May 13, 2013 12:25 am

you know i get down with that alcohol and weed bruddah naw dude don't hand me that meth **** you know that ain't cool dawg come on just get jiggy with it and do some lsd with us we ain't that dangerous

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 am

^^ I never said legitimate medicine wasn't a problem. It's actually quite dangerous and common. Not sure how you came to the conclusion I thought otherwise, maybe because I didn't mention them.

You're not educating me on drugs, that's for sure. I love me my documentaries, and am literally surrounded by drug addicts, "friends" and family alike. I am gladly bereft of first-hand experience though.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon May 13, 2013 3:28 am

Then your attitude about CKR's use of language is markedly different from mine. I do not immediately assume drug use is synonymous with drug addiction, hard drugs, or overdose. "Doing drugs" is just some catch-all term for substance use outside of alcohol, nicotine and caffeine.

But anyway

[video=youtube_share;zy9mgzxoWgg]http://youtu.be/zy9mgzxoWgg[/video]

Jere

Post by Jere » Mon May 13, 2013 4:32 am

I have a firm opinion that there is a difference between Use and abuse, heck i drink atleast 6 cups of coffie a day on certain days and none another and don't get me started on alcohol.

I drink to much when i do yeah but i have never had to have help by anoyone to get to the cab to get home or not be able to walk to where i have a bed.

Basicly do all the addictive stuff cause i like it not cause i need it and i really don't have this urge to always have it.
Beep Boop absolutely not a bot!

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 am

When someone says doing drugs like the colonel did, I assume he's referring to painkillers, Weed, maybe Molly. Not meth or coke
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon May 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Going to throw this out there- there have been zero documented deaths related to use of psilocybin. (yet it's banned in all fifty states, and we can't even have the spores in my state. wtf seriously)

- - - Updated - - -
Jere wrote:I have a firm opinion that there is a difference between Use and abuse, heck i drink atleast 6 cups of coffie a day on certain days and none another and don't get me started on alcohol.

I drink to much when i do yeah but i have never had to have help by anoyone to get to the cab to get home or not be able to walk to where i have a bed.

Basicly do all the addictive stuff cause i like it not cause i need it and i really don't have this urge to always have it.
Also, this. So so so SO much this.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Idk how we got to talking about hard drugs and stuff but here's another tidbit. ANY kind of hot smoke you inhale is bad for your lungs. Marijuana smoke takes effect on the lungs just as much as tobacco smoke. I'd say moderation but moderation eventually leads to a habit. I guess with the e-cigarettes that use water vapor would help somewhat but they still deliver a steady dose of nicotine from what I've read which doesn't break any addiction. Since they taste and feel like a real cigarette, they may still give people the craving to smoke a real cigarette in conjunction with this electronic one. They serve no real medical purpose for helping smokers which is why they are classified as tobacco devices by the FDA. There's so many things that go into a tobacco addiction than just nicotine. It's the habit. People love the taste as well. Electronic cigarettes don't do well to help break addiction as much as their advertisements would like you to believe.

Return to “Sports & Fitness”