WWE cuts ties to Hulk Hogan amid leaked racist tirade

Moderator: March

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

WWE cuts ties to Hulk Hogan amid leaked racist tirade

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:13 am

http://www.sbnation.com/wrestling/2015/ ... -audio-wwe

His matches are still available for viewing on WWE's website, but he is no longer a judge on their reality show Tough Enough, his superstar page is gone, he's off the WWE Hall of Fame list, his merchandise is no longer sold, and Curtis Axel (whose current gimmick was impersonating Hulk Hogan) had his superstar page set to just his normal outfit, without the Hulk Hogan costume.

Crazy that the WWE has to distance themselves from probably the most well-known wrestler ever. Wonder if they'll give him the full Benoit treatment and never mention anything about him ever again. It was rumored that he would wrestle his final match at the next Wrestlemania, but obviously that's not gonna happen.

Just don't tell the WWE about the Ultimate Warrior (who has an award given by the WWE named after him) and hisbigotry, or the fact that Stone Cold Steve Austin (who is on the cover of WWE 2K16) beat his wife.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Swordmaster Link

Post by Swordmaster Link » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:34 am

Well, we live in a different time now (I mostly mean that in a good way, but these days there's plenty of BS to go around), and it's very easy for negative press to spread quickly because of social media, which could snowball into sponsors getting in a tiff about it. (read: Adrian Peterson and the Vikings)

The way I see it, I think people like to pretend it's a moral thing that drives such a response, but at the end of the day it's in the WWE's best interest financially to cut ties.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:49 am

^ Yeah, while it may seem like a moral thing it's definitely a business move. Especially when a dude like Vince McMahon is the one making the decision.

I think the biggest example of how times has changed is the Bill Cosby situation. He had these allegations for years and nobody really cared/paid attention. But then Hannibal Buress brought it up in his act, it spread on social media like wildfire, more people came forward, and now he has absolutely no goodwill (which he deserves none)

I read one of his quotes from the video, and it's really bad, and not really anything you can defend. There's definitely a very "Donald Sterling" vibe to what he said.

I mean I didn't really like Hulk for a variety of mostly wrestling-related reasons but now the dude can straight up **** off

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:30 am

I'm kinda disappointed that Hogan even supported Caitlyn Jenner coming out before her surgery yet has some real nasty racism going

And I really agree on the Ultimate Warrior part, that jackass had some awful opinions and should have been shamed out of wrestling in general a long time ago.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:34 am

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:11 am

Kinda messed up to ruin his legacy over some comments but whatever. I was always more of a Stone Cold fan anyway.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:41 am

Eh. People are never going to actually forget Hogan and what he did, just like nobody has forgotten Benoit's accomplishments despite how much WWE would like them to, and Hogan's a million times more popular than Benoit ever was (and obviously it's easier to continue talking about a racist jerk like Hogan than it is to open the can-of-worms that comes with Benoit's name). They might not mention him much anymore now but Hogan's touched so much of WWE that I dunno if Vince is going to rewrite the entire history. WWE is just saying "hey Hulk's an ******* and we don't support this guy despite his history with the company"

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:14 pm

Hogan was always a jerk, and I bet the WWE were waiting for this.

I mean, the news that he was fired hit before anyone found out why he was fired. That never happens, like ever. I have no idea what his deal was with WWE in this case, but it was always a bitch and a half to work around him in the past. For instance, his contract with the WCW (which allowed him to change a match's outcome on a whim) pretty much doomed the brand and ensured he would stay on top FOREVER. Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I know about him he always had his head in the clouds.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:50 pm

^ He was like that in the WWF during his original run as well. Hogan stayed on top for two reasons:
1. He was the top face in the company, and they wanted to milk Hulkamania for as much as they could. If Hulk started losing matches, merchandise migh tsell
2. Hulk had so much influence over the company that if he was originally meant to lose, he could change the outcome in his favor.

Then when Hulk left, they didn't really have their guy anymore and they hit a lull. Bret Hart is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time but a lot of people don't think he really got the opportunity to be pushed to the heights he should've been because Hulk was in the way. They didn't bounce back in the ratings against Nitro until they had a deep roster of multiple faces of the company like Shawn Michaels, The Rock, HHH, Steve Austin, Mankind, etc. The same thing's happening with John Cena right now, actually. John Cena will let a promising newer wrestler get a win or two off him (Bray Wyatt, Rusev, Cesaro, Bad News Barrett, The Miz, now Kevin Owens) only to win most or all of the follow-up matches, making the feud basically pointless as his opponents fall from main-eventers back to the midcard.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:45 pm

I've heard about Rusev and Lana and how they got screwed up. It's weird how long Cena's been around when the rest of the cast rotates in and out constantly. I don't think anyone's stuck around as long as him. Not even the Undertaker maintained top billing for so long.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:06 am

^ Randy Orton's been around just as long as Cena and is still one of the top dogs, though he's never really been as big as Cena.

Triple H deserves a ton of credit for his longevity as well. He barely ever wrestles as of late but as COO (and basically Vince's fill-in) he's still one of the most prominent figures in the WWE.

Big Show and Kane obviously have longevity but they've slowed down to the point where they couldn't be a huge main event draw (unlike Triple H who I think still has quite a bit in the tank and can give a damn good match when he wants (see: Wrestlemania XXX v. Daniel Bryan; Wrestlemania 31 v. Sting), he's just too busy being in charge of business to do much outside of the occasional brawl on RAW)

Gumchum

Post by Gumchum » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:20 am

I think we all knew the Hulkster was a tremendous delta-bravo before all this broke, but I wouldn't have guessed his douchebaggery included bigotry.
[QUOTE="Wu-Tang Panfan, post: 1547935, member: 29448"]I read one of his quotes from the video, and it's really bad, and not really anything you can defend. There's definitely a very "Donald Sterling" vibe to what he said.[/QUOTE]
You know, I knew I had heard those quotes somewhere before.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of Triple H and such, I highly recommend this video from Max Landis.

WARNING: Potty language ahoy, children.
[MEDIA=youtube]VYvMOf3hsGA[/MEDIA]

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:17 am

I was never into WWE but $$ signs lit up in my eyes at the mention of his merchandise being cut off. That means whatever is already out there is probably very valuable now.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Gumchum

Post by Gumchum » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:47 pm

Oh yeah, I'm sure the Pillow Pal and "Mr. Nanny" stocks are skyrocketing right now.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:35 pm

...huh. So Rowdy Roddy Piper and the Iron Sheik were the good guys all along, then.

...EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE
boo----------------the furious little monkey

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:16 pm

[QUOTE="Gumchum, post: 1548753, member: 15474"]I think we all knew the Hulkster was a tremendous delta-bravo before all this broke, but I wouldn't have guessed his douchebaggery included bigotry.

You know, I knew I had heard those quotes somewhere before.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of Triple H and such, I highly recommend this video from Max Landis.

WARNING: Potty language ahoy, children.
[MEDIA=youtube]VYvMOf3hsGA[/MEDIA][/QUOTE]

discovered that video when i got into wrestling again and i automatically send it to everybody who makes fun of me for it

Gumchum

Post by Gumchum » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:22 pm

I also just want to say the world is much worse off without this man in it:

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:13 pm

^Damn straight. Warrior turned into a weirdo ultracon towards the end, and now this deal about the Hulkster blows up, but Randy Savage was really cool. Never heard anyone say anything bad about him.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 pm

^ He promoted Slim Jims, which kill you but are delicious, so it's debatable.

Return to “Sports & Fitness”