WWE cuts ties to Hulk Hogan amid leaked racist tirade

Moderator: March

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:32 pm

[QUOTE="Gumchum, post: 1548841, member: 15474"]I also just want to say the world is much worse off without this man in it:
Image[/QUOTE]
praise be
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:06 am

^^Don't quite see as 'shilling for snack food' is on quite the same level of unforgiveable evil as 'racist tirades' and 'xenophobic ubernationalism', friend. I mean, say what you like about those doofy Macho Man Slim Jim commercials-------they had entertainment value. Hard to perceive any value in Hogan's little diatribe, or any of the Warrior's anti-foreigner ramblings.
boo----------------xbox forum arm-wrestling champion

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:37 am

the only dirt I've seen on Macho Man is that he was overjealous of Miss Elizabeth during their relationship, but I haven't really seen much of a source to any abuse aside from kayfabe stuff.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Gumchum

Post by Gumchum » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:16 am

[QUOTE="Wu-Tang Panfan, post: 1548981, member: 29448"]Image[/QUOTE]
One is a self-indulgent douchecanoe who's in trouble for making wildly racist comments, and the other is Donald Trump.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:39 am

^ I fail to see the difference in those descriptions
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:31 pm

^Instead of being in trouble for his racist comments, Donald Trump is the leading Republican presidential candidate. We hold our professional wrestlers to a higher standard.

Gumchum

Post by Gumchum » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:56 pm

'Murica.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:43 pm

I guess Hogan uses some gay slurs on the tape too

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/602419-602419

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:10 pm

So, bump.

My favourite YouTuber put out his own opinion (NSFW, incidentally--------Jesse Wood will curse up a storm), and it changed my outlook on the whole thing, man. Seems kind of clear Hogan's the victim, here. He got witch-hunted for innocuous comments he made years and years ago in bed with a woman who was taping him unscrupulously. What a sh*tty thing.

Man. You know, celebrities can assault people. They can go on drug-fueled benders, get caught stealing, generally treat people like garbage. But ranting harmlessly about minorities, dropping a racial slur? That appears to be the line, and it's dumb as hell.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:41 pm

Also a reminder that Randy Savage is the cream.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:14 am

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1570667, member: 17381"]So, bump.

My favourite YouTuber put out his own opinion (NSFW, incidentally--------Jesse Wood will curse up a storm), and it changed my outlook on the whole thing, man. Seems kind of clear Hogan's the victim, here. He got witch-hunted for innocuous comments he made years and years ago in bed with a woman who was taping him unscrupulously. What a sh*tty thing.

Man. You know, celebrities can assault people. They can go on drug-fueled benders, get caught stealing, generally treat people like garbage. But ranting harmlessly about minorities, dropping a racial slur? That appears to be the line, and it's dumb as hell.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't until after everything that he even apologized. These days it's more clear the difference between being sorry and being sorry for being caught.

Like, for example of someone I actually respect: Tobyfox aka Radiation aka Undertale maker. He's a really nice dude, even people who care not for Homestuck agree his music on there is great stuff, and obviously WHO DOESN'T LOVE UNDERTALE. Well, turns out he made an Earthbound romhac-NO, DO NOT CHEER. On the technical side it's supposed to be fairly good, pretending to just be a typical palette-swap whimsical adventure at first and then making 2spooks turns and making status effects much more... required. Now, there's a problem... Toby used the f-slur in that romhack. Quite a bit for the end boss, too. He also made some unfortunate implications with another boss that was supposed to represent repressed homosexuality.

Toby had that romhack brought up by somebody not realizing the nastiness in there, and quickly told them not to play it because he made it as an edgy 16 year old (And goons say that makes it okay, **** SA Games forum) and even admits it's embarrassing not in a cute way but slur-way. I think the only thing he ever took from that positively was the tune for Megalovania which is basically his recurring theme, from the final fight in the romhack to what is probably a very vital point in Homestuck, to the last battle in the Genocide path in Undertale.

Maybe age DOES play a part in it, or the fact that the f-slur is something I HIGHLY take offense to, but I can overlook his past mistakes, especially because he has SHOWN he has grown past prejudices (two gay couples in Undertale minimum and it's done surprisingly well).

Hulk... I'm not sure at this point. He really could have handled this better, and with the recent statements from Caitlyn Jenner about homosexuality, I'm not really surprised at the gay slur part.

I do agree though the leaked sex tape thing was ******** and whatever website got a hold of it was nasty business as well. I think it's a site I used before in my many SJW crusades to destroy gaming for good.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:39 am

I'm curious as to why people require an apology from Hogan. He was spouting off harmlessly in his own house, where nobody except the woman he was sleeping with should ever have heard him. On top of which, in-context, this doesn't come off as a racist tirade--------this is a guy in his fifties, hurt and frustrated over his daughter, venting about it to someone he should have been able to trust.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:24 am

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1570880, member: 17381"]I'm curious as to why people require an apology from Hogan. He was spouting off harmlessly in his own house, where nobody except the woman he was sleeping with should ever have heard him. On top of which, in-context, this doesn't come off as a racist tirade--------this is a guy in his fifties, hurt and frustrated over his daughter, venting about it to someone he should have been able to trust.[/QUOTE]

People aren't allowed to be human. We have to keep up the charade.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Tell you one thing bugs me, is that people evidently expect Hulk Hogan to be some kind perfect paragon of political correctness. He grew up in the American South in the 1950s. You know, he had to have heard the term 'n*gger' a lot as a kid. Our upbringing informs us, man. When people are hurting, they reach for what's close and easy.

Christ only knows how often I've heard the word 'f*ggot' over the years. It's in my headspace--------it wasn't considered a slur when I was growing up. So sometimes when I'm really frustrated, or in my stride, or drunk, 'f*ggot' slips out. Maybe I'm a bigot. Or maybe I'm partially a product of my environment. Maybe Hogan's the same.

You know...I hate to drag this up, because it hurts. But even if Hogan were a virulent hate-filled racist...well, Lex Luger and Steve Austin were both domestic abusers. Ric Flair has been charged with aggravated assault (on top of being a racist himself, allegedly). Jake Roberts, Curt Hennig and Eddie Guerrero were all huge cokeheads. Ultimate Warrior just about incited a riot over his homophobic remarks at a speech engagement. Scott Hall once killed a man (possibly in self-defense). Jimmy Snuka murdered his girlfriend. Man, Chris Benoit killed his wife and daughter and then himself. F*cking hell. Kind of hard to hate on Hogan, recalling all that.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:40 pm

...Man, what kind of people do they hire?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Big musclebound steroid guys willing to beat on each other for money. Like who knew some of those kind guys would turn out to be complete aggro psycho assh*les.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:31 pm

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE PUMPKINS!, post: , member: 18119"]...Man, what kind of people do they hire?[/QUOTE]

Yeah the kind of people who are wrestlers are unsurprisingly asshats considering many of them are roided up, do other drugs, and worse. It's apparently better than it was in the 80s-90s-early 00s today, but there are still issues.

Wrestling is "fake," but it's still an incredibly dangerous thing where people put their bodies through hell. I mean, common practice in wrestling was to cut yourself in the face/other parts to get blood, and that finally got put to rest a few years back 1. because wrestling appeals to the kiddos and you can't be "PG" with Ric Flair's face gushing blood and 2. that's how **** diseases get spread. Neck injuries are common because of the bumps people take making falls. A lot of people think part of the reason Benoit snapped was not just because of drugs, but because he took so many bumps to the head and concussions that weren't diagnosed did some permanent damage. WWE is definitely more conscious of that (which is why top stars who've been heavily injured like Daniel Bryan are sitting out despite being "cleared by doctors" (this can also be extremely sketchy)). There's a lot more effort for safety, though backyard wrestling promotions and "hardcore" independent promotions still feature chairshots to the head, bleeding, etc. (Combat Zone Wrestling is the most popular "hardcore" indie promotion and it's honestly just depressing what some of these guys are doing for little money. I'm a fan of wrestling but there's a limit, y'know?)

A lot of the most famous wrestlers are old, big, muscly white dudes so there's a tendency that they might be sexist, racist or homophobic. I'd say it's getting more progressive, but there's a long way to go. Some of WWE's most talented people right now are black but aren't quite to the main event yet (The New Day could be close though). WWE-developmental program NXT is noted for brilliant women's matches, and some of that talent has been brought up the main roster but it's still a place where all women are "Divas" and their storylines are only as deep as "I'M JEALOUS OF YOU" "WELL I'M JEALOUSER"

NXT and WWE proper are actually really vastly different from each other, and NXT is a very progressive program (and tells much better stories in general). It's likely that's because NXT is run by Triple H while WWE is still run by old, out-of-touch Vince McMahon.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:17 am

^
Pictured: Actual scars from razor blades that you can allegedly stick gambling chips into.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:45 am

Yup. D-Von Dudley and New Jack also have forehead scars like that. Dusty Rhodes had em too.

Abdullah there might be one of the kings of piece of **** wrestlers. Bladed people without their consent and has been accused of giving people hep c while blading them. **** piece of trash. And somehow he's a Hall of Famer. I know a few wrestlers have spoken out against that, but not enough. Dude shouldn't be honored like that. Even in a Hall of **** people he might be the worst (wait no literal murderer Jimmy Snuka is probably it)[DOUBLEPOST=1446533159,1446532429][/DOUBLEPOST]Btw if you've never seen it, I suggest the documentary Beyond the Mat. It can be pretty hard to watch at times (Jake Roberts is captured at rock bottom) but it's an intriguing look into the industry.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:53 am

Man. If there's one person I think comes off like a scumbag in this whole thing, it's f*ckin McMahon.

...you know, people forget how big Hulkamania was back in the day, brother. Say what you like about Terry Bollea the man, but the Hulk Hogan persona was really likeable and charismatic, and it was pretty much the face of the franchise for over a decade. Had to have made the WWF a ton of money. Probably a big reason, directly or indirectly, why WWE is the main game in town these days. No doubt McMahon owes a portion of his wealth and influence to Hulk Hogan.

So this incident blows up around Terry Bollea the man, and McMahon throws Hogan under the bus, as if its some brave moral stance. Only he hasn't done the same to noted bigots like Ric Flair, the Warrior, or Triple H. Hey, and has the company done anything to distance itself from racist caricatures like Yokozuna the sumo, Papa Shango the voodoo shaman, or Kamala the Ugandan headhunter? (I know that last appeared in a WWE game within the last couple years. Fun fact---------Kamala is an American named Jim Harris. Good job depicting Africans in such a positive, respectful light, WWE. McMahon the 'can't abide racism' guy. Pffffft.)

Was McMahon's thought-process 'Hogan is a racist? Well, I can't have anyone who's racist affiliated with my company'? Or was it 'Hogan has bad publicity? Well, I can't have anyone might hurt stock value affiliated with my company'? No one truly knows (except it's obviously the latter).

Wuff. I don't think anyone ever thought Vince McMahon was a saint (you don't rise to the head of your industry if you aren't ruthless and sneaky), but I kind of never realised he was such a disloyal hypocrite coward c*nt. Like, he comes off about as bad from this as his 'Mr. McMahon' heel persona ever did, and that's startling.

Return to “Sports & Fitness”