Concussions.

Moderator: March

VG_Addict

Concussions.

Post by VG_Addict » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:19 pm

A lot of talk has been made about concussions in sports. Players and families of players are suing leagues over it.

What do you think should be done about it? Is putting more money into research enough, or do we need to make sports safer? Or, should we not do anything about it, since athletes know the risks when they play, and for some of them, it's the only way for them to make a decent living?

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:37 pm

I think any person who straps a helmet to their head and rams into other people as hard as they can should either already be aware that there is a risk of ongoing injury, or they are so dim that they could be considered legally incompetent.

As for other sports, well, things like Boxing shouldn't even really still exist if we're going to start caring about others. Obviously many people are not in control of their circumstance or their psychology, and sport takes advantage of that. I'm not going to make the call for everyone else, but I don't think a multi-million dollar deal is worth brain injury. Good luck restricting a boxing league but not affecting all manner of martial arts tournaments and learning, though. The most you're going to get is a few lawsuits first and then a contractual agreement which acknowledges that players may receive such injuries and they participate at their own risk, because Amurrica - where you can sign away your rights to things like body health.

[QUOTE="VG_Addict, post: 1578484, member: 34516"]Or, should we not do anything about it, since athletes know the risks when they play, and for some of them, it's the only way for them to make a decent living?[/QUOTE]
If a sport can be deemed as a career trap but also deemed as dangerous, then we should treat it like any other human trafficking crime and create support systems before we dismantle something like a league.

Sad fact of the matter is that sports are used to placate the masses with false rivalries. The human mind is not such an advanced thing, it would seem.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:35 am

I've actually done a (tiny) bit of research into this because of work, and I've come to the conclusion that the best thing that can be done right now is to provide better physical protection for players at the college level. They aren't minors (so there are few laws in place re: what they legally can and cannot do while injured) and they aren't professional (which means that, despite the obscene amounts of money that go into some colleges' athletics, it's a mere fraction of what goes into professional athletics), so they aren't protected as well (largely in terms of what happens after injuries/concussion checks).

Like, I hope this makes sense. It certainly isn't going to solve the problem, but imo it's a good start.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

TEDDY!

Post by TEDDY! » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:27 am

My opinion of this issue is pretty similar to that of Hell Orb.

Honestly, I don't think this is an issue that needs to be highlighted or invest time into. It is a sport. The nature of sports is to be competitive. When adrenaline and feral instincts combine you get bloodthirsty humans on a rampage. People are going to get hurt. It happens and is very common.
Don't tell me these so called "victims" didn't know what they were getting into. They had to sign contracts, sell there soul to the devil when joining these professional athletic teams. If they didn't read the fine print then that's on them.

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:44 am

I think a concussion or two is fine if it's handled right away with a professional. That means taking off time from the game until you've been cleared by a doctor. People seem to skip this part. The serious brain and behavior issues start after someone gets one concussion after another. Suddenly the person becomes angry, irritated, depressed, and it often leads to suicide. No one talks about the staggering high suicidal rates amongst football players. So I guess my opinion is that after one or two (depending on how bad), it's time to stop before you become someone you're not because your brain rattled against your skull one too many times.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:18 pm

While athletes should know the risks they take by playing sports, the game should also be made safer and stricter processes should be made to ensure player safety. There's still a mindset that a concussion somehow isn't a serious-as-**** thing and players who get nailed in the head are somehow not being tough if they exit the game. That's some ****. That needs to change immediately.

I know there are people who dislike the targeting rule in college football because it's an automatic ejection and sometimes it's not intentional, but it's better than nothing and allowing players to continue playing Scott-free when they make unnecessary hits.

There are people out there that think taking preventative measures about concussions is leading to sports getting weaker. If you'd rather have more exciting football than people who are alive and healthy, go **** yourself.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:06 pm

If it is a concern, make the sport safer within reason. After that, just accept that sports are dangerous.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:17 pm

The big problem is that the NFL has actively worked for years to suppress research about player concussions, up to & including threatening a leading doctor on the subject.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Return to “Sports & Fitness”