Final Fantasy VI Four Character Challenge

Moderator: Deepfake

smol Kat

Re: Final Fantasy VI Four Character Challenge

Post by smol Kat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Was way more worried about the Magitek Factory than I needed to be. Or rather, I was worried about the wrong things. Pincer attacks bodied me several times, but Runic really served me well in both of the first two boss fights. That and Locke changing weapons a zillion times. My Cyan strats have yet to see much change. The mine cart escape with two party members was incredibly intimidating, especially given that Cyan doesn't pick who he targets, but I gave Locke a Wall Ring and it was fine. Cranes got a little hairy... Setzer died legit right away and I was super close to wiping, but Dispatch saved my hide.

Cold medicine's wearing off, so I landed my airship just outside Narshe and will continue later.

FF6FCC PROGRESS
ML: Locke, Sabin, Gau, Mog - Figaro I
Val: Locke, Sabin, Strago, Umaro - Tzen (WoR)
Scotty: ???, ???, ???, ??? - Hasn't started
Kat: Strago, Setzer, Cyan, Shadow - post-Magitek Factory
mess with the NOOT you get a DOOT!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 am

Got my first party wipe in Figaro Castle's basement. A Neck Hunter used Mad Sickle and muddled Sabin while he had Air Blade queued, meaning he hit himself with the attack and killed himself. :facepalm:

Soloing the Tentacles with Sabin was scary. I avoided getting Sabin Seized by any of the Tentacles by equipping him with the Running Shoes (as Seize can only target party members afflicted with the slow status effect, and the Running Shoes, by granting auto-haste, prevent this). Nevertheless their other attacks were pretty rough, especially Bio. I was lucky enough to make it back from the brink a couple times (as seen in the image above). Once the number of Tentacles began to drop, the battle became significantly easier.

Darill's Tomb would've been awful with just one character... if I didn't have him equipped with a Ribbon, thus nullifying all the zombifying and other status-inflicting attacks the enemies there liked to use. Fire Dance and Aura Bolt were very useful.

I went ahead and fought Presenter to get the Dragon Claw from it for Sabin. It wasn't a particularly difficult fight, and most of its attacks were easily shrugged off, but Blow Fish and Giga Volt were powerful enough to potentially wipe Sabin out in just a couple hits, meaning I had to eat through all of my X-Potions and a few Elixirs just to keep him safe.

Dullahan handed me my second defeat. His ice-based attacks such as Ice 3, Absolute 0, and N. Cross were too much for poor Sabin to handle. So, I left Darill's Tomb, walked up to the Coliseum, wagered the Crystal Mail I had plundered from the Tomb, and won an Ice Shield. Thus all of Dullahan's highly-damaging spells became generously-healing spells instead, and the battle was easily won. (Wish I would've thought to do that from the start.)

Airship acquired! Now the entire world is opened up to me, and I can pick up my other three party members. I have three options right now:
  • Go for Strago, which would require me to visit Jidoor, get through Owzer's Mansion, defeat Chadarnook, get Relm, and take her to the Cultists' Tower.
  • Go for Locke, which would require me to get through the Phoenix Cave.
  • Go for Umaro, which would require me to go to Narshe, grab Mog, defeat Tritoch, and then defeat Umaro.
Since Phoenix Cave requires two parties and I really want to refrain from using characters I'm not assigned, I'm going to wait until I have at least one more party member before I attempt it. Tritoch and Umaro will probably be easier fights than Chardarnook, but Strago will be a lot more useful than Umaro. Right now I'm leaning towards getting Strago first, then Umaro, then Locke.

FF6FCC PROGRESS
Val: Locke, Sabin, Strago, Umaro - Maranda (WoR)

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:40 pm

First things first: I located Duncan so Sabin could learn Bum Rush. This awesome, defense-ignoring attack currently does ~6500 damage per use when boosted by relics, killing virtually every regular enemy in a single hit and making quick work of most bosses.

I traveled to Mt. Zozo for no reason other than to grab the Thunder Shield for the fight with Chadarnook, but Bum Rush made everything so easy that I decided to stick around and grab the rest of the chests. Said Thunder Shield nullified half of the Storm Dragon's attacks, but the ones that got through hit pretty hard. Still managed to Bum Rush the dragon to death and get that sweet Force Armor.

I didn't bother recruiting Cyan. I'm sure he'll be fine.

The enemies in Owzer's Mansion weren't too terrible, but the Blade Dancers were brutal. Sabin went down to them once, bringing my total wipe count to three.

Chadarnook was a little annoying, but not overly difficult. The main problem was when the Goddess form would inflict the Charm status on Sabin (which, thankfully, went away whenever it transformed into the Demon form), but luckily that never resulted in Sabin killing himself. Thanks to the Thunder Shield, the Demon form's lightning-based attacks healed Sabin, meaning instead of having to stop and use recovery items I was free to Bum Rush the boss into oblivion.

With Relm acquired, I was able to head over to the Cultists' Tower and grab Strago. That's 2/4 party members.

FF6FCC PROGRESS
Val: Locke, Sabin, Strago, Umaro - Cultists' Tower (WoR)

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:05 am

Can you tell I've been enjoying this?

Before moving on, I went and picked up Aero and Sour Mouth for Strago. If I had Relm, I could learn Mighty Guard, but alas...

Went over to the Opera House and fought the Dirt Dragon. Both party members were equipped with Gaia Gear, meaning all of the dragon's magic attacks healed any other damage it dealt. It went down under a barrage of Bum Rushes and Aeros. My prize was the Magus Rod, Strago's best weapon, which boosts both his magic attack and magic block. Now onto Narshe.

The Ice Dragon wasn't difficult. Once again, Ice Shields absorbed most of its attacks, so it was just a matter of whittling its HP down with Bum Rush. It dropped the Force Shield, which mightily boosts magic defense and magic block, halves elemental damage, and grants auto-Shell. I'll be sticking that on Strago.

I should note that, thanks to the evade bug, with his current equipment Strago now has a 97% chance of avoiding every attack. :cool:

Unless I'm forgetting something, I do believe that's all of the legendary dragons worth killing on this run.

Tritoch wasn't any trouble either. The only hitch came when it managed to freeze Sabin with Cold Dust, and since I didn't have any way to unfreeze him apart from waiting for the status effect to wear off, I just had Strago finish the fight on his own.

Umaro... also an easy fight. Since he's weak to poison, I had Strago Sour Mouth him, and Sabin used Bum Rush as usual. He went down in a handful of turns. And now, I have 3/4 of my party!

FF6FCC PROGRESS
Val: Locke, Sabin, Strago, Umaro - Narshe (WoR)

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:28 pm

oh man so I relearned the lesson of why one should not keep all their Fire Rods in one building. Genji Glove Strago + 2 Ice Rods, plus Terra with an Ice Brand (Locke, you stay in the back and steal. Don't call us we'll call you) made what was at first a difficult fight a little better. Also I forgot the fireball of death is /not/ weak to Aqua Rake. Coulda saved a lot of heartache. And MP. OH WELL

FF6FCC PROGRESS
Kat: Strago, Setzer, Cyan, Shadow - Thamasa, WoB

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:45 pm

Hey, I actually beat a boss today. Progress!

I finished Luigi’s Mansion 2 yesterday, so I’ll hopefully get some more FFVI progress in the coming days/weeks

FF6FCC PROGRESS
ML: Locke, Sabin, Gau, Mog - Returner Hideout

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:54 am

The Phoenix Cave was a huge bitch to get through. Lots of powerful enemies with hard-hitting attacks, the zombifying Necromancers, and those stupid Phases that use Blow Fish and prevent you from running from battles. I figured the best way to tackle this dungeon was to have Strago and Umaro in one team, and Sabin by himself, and to flee from every battle possible. Nevertheless I wiped out four times in this dungeon (bringing my total up to seven). But I made it through and got Locke, completing my party!

Now it's time to get everything I need together for Kefka's Tower. First, I poked my head into the Cave on the Veldt to grab the Rage Ring for Umaro. It gives him a new attack, boosts his Strength, makes him immune to lightning damage and lets him absorb fire damage.

After that, I went to Thamasa and then Ebot's Rock. Apart from Pearl Wind, Strago's Lore selection has only been situationaly useful. Grand Train should fix that. The fight with Hidon itself wasn't so bad, especially since I had everyone equipped with either a Ribbon or an Amulet to protect against status effects.

Next, I went to Triangle Island and entered the Zone Eater's Belly... solely to grab the Genji Armor for Locke. Sorry Gogo.

Next stop was the Ancient Castle. The fight with Katana Soul went by a little quicker than I expected... Strago cast Sour Mouth, which muddled the boss and caused it to use its own instant-death attack on itself. :shrug: I plundered the Offering (an amazing relic) and the Blizzard Orb (an okay one) from this dungeon.

Afterward I scuttled over to Narshe, picked the lock to the weapon shop, and acquired Ragnarok, the second-best swords in the game.

...Then I went to the Coliseum and traded Ragnarok for Illumina, the best sword in the game. Then, I equipped Locke with a Genji Glove, the Offering, Illumina, and Atma Weapon, which means he can now attack eight times per turn using two of the best weapons in the game. :thumbsup:

The only other thing I can think of that I'd like to get is an Economizer for Strago, but that might take some grinding. After that, it'll be off to the final dungeon.

FF6FCC PROGRESS
Val: Locke, Sabin, Strago, Umaro - Coliseum (WoR)

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:40 am

Managed to farm an Economizer from some Brachosaurs. Those fights came down to both luck and speed: by keeping attacks queued up (Bum Rush, Grand Train, X-Fight), I was able to grind down the enemy's 46,000 HP before it could use any devastating attacks. If it managed to get a single Meteor or Ultima in, it was an instant game over. I wiped three times (bringing my total to ten) before I could win one of those stupid relics. But now Strago doesn't have to worry about MP anymore.

There were a few more relics I wanted to grab before heading to the final dungeon. First, I poked my head into the Cultists' Tower to grab the Safety Bit. The battles there were annoying (and unescapable); if not for Umaro I wouldn't have been able to do anything.

After that, I went back to the Coliseum and traded in a couple of Elixirs for a couple of Rename Cards, which I then exchanged for two Miracle Shoes relics. Miracle Shoes grant the wearer auto-Protect, auto-Shell, auto-Regen, and auto-Haste.

That's about it, I think. It seems to be time to pay Kefka a visit.

FF6FCC PROGRESS
Val: Locke, Sabin, Strago, Umaro - Coliseum (WoR)

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:06 am

Sooooo, Kefka's Tower. This ended up being a little trickier than I was prepared for. Since Locke and Umaro are my two weakest links, I stuck them together and had Sabin and Strago each on their own. I wiped three times near the dungeon entrance (once after getting stuck in an endless Sour Mouth loop with a Great Malboro Evil Oscar, once after getting hit by a Lv.5 Doom from a Dark Force, and once more after an unlucky Roulette from a Dark Force). I realized my strategy wasn't working too well, so I left the tower, grinded a little more, grabbed two more Marvel Shoes relics from the Coliseum, and farmed some Megalixirs on the Solitary Island. I set up both Locke and Sabin with a Ribbon and a Marvel Shoes to help keep them alive. As cool as it was being able to attack eight times per turn, Locke was better off with more protective gear. With the Force Armor and Force Shield equipped, he became as nigh-untouchable as Strago.

With all that done, I re-entered the tower and had a much easier time. My main strategy was to flee from random encounters when possible, and fight carefully when I couldn't. I abused the save point glitch to keep my characters healed between battles, since otherwise I wouldn't have possibly been able to stock enough healing items.

Atma was the only optional boss I fought, since I really needed the save point he was sitting on to keep my parties alive. Strago's evasion managed to nullify most of the boss's spells, while Pearl Wind usually took care of the ones that hit. Grand Train consistently dealt good damage, and I was able to end the fight before Atma unleashed Ultima or any other really scary attacks.

Inferno caught me unprepared the first time and dealt me a party wipe. After that experience, I gave Locke a Thunder Shield to absorb most of the boss's spells. The fight then became ridiculously easy.

Guardian was another simple fight. Locke and Umaro's attacks did decent damage, and a good number of Guardian's attacks were nullified or absorbed by Locke's Thunder Shield and Umaro's Rage Ring. The one hiccup came during the boss's Dadaluma program when it threw an Ashura at Locke, nearly hitting the damage cap. With Locke KO'ed the fate of the battle was taken out of my hands, but thankfully Guardian was weakened enough for Umaro to finish it off on his own.

Doom was the easiest of the three statues. Bum Rush dealt nearly 8000 damage per use, and the Regen/Protect/Shell effect of the Marvel Shoes helped cushion Sabin from Doom's stronger attacks. I only had to stop and heal once during the fight.

Goddess, on the other hand, was the most difficult of the statues. Her worst attack was Entice, which puts the target into a muddled-like state which can't be protected against by a Ribbon or any other relic and doesn't wear off until either the user or the afflicted is killed. With Strago fighting on his own, Entice is essentially an instant game over. I lost once due to Entice, and a second time due to Quasar (a defense-ignoring spell that knocked off about 75% of Strago's max HP), but the third time I was able to Grand Train the boss into oblivion.

Poltergeist probably took the longest to defeat, since Locke and Umaro couldn't match the damage output of Sabin or Strago. The critical hits with Locke's Illumina helped a lot, though.

The dungeon completed, the three statues defeated. I'm up to 16 party wipes. Only one fight remains.

FF6FCC PROGRESS
Val: Locke, Sabin, Strago, Umaro - Kefka's Tower

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:15 pm

Oh crap, I can’t find my GBA SP charger

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 am

DONE.

The first tier of the final battle was simple. I was able to knock out Head first, then dispose of the arms. No serious damage suffered by my party.
The second tier was a little harder, but still manageable. Strago's Condemned got rid of Tools quickly, while a combination of Grand Train, Bum Rush, and physical attacks whittled down the other three. I had to stop and heal with Mantra/Pearl Wind occasionally. The third tier had some worrying attacks, so those Megalixirs I farmed earlier came in handy. Thankfully I was able to lay down the damage quickly and heavily enough that both Lady and Rest died before they could cause too much harm.

Kefka himself was almost disappointingly easy. Same strategy as before: attacking with everything I had, and healing when necessary. Funny enough, Umaro dealt the killing blow by hurling Locke at him.

Well, that's my run. I had a great time with it, and looking back I'm pretty happy with the characters I got. Sabin was far and away the best character. His Blitzes were my best attacks at every point in the game, and he was the only character I had who could consistently handle things by himself without the aid of game-breaking equipment. Strago was my second most useful character. Although there was a lot of Lore that simply wasn't worth learning or casting, Pearl Wind and Grand Train were more than enough on their own and Aqua Rake, Sour Mouth, and the Lv.X spells were situationally very useful. Locke unfortunately wasn't that great. He had the best equipment selection of any of my characters, but apart from stealing (which was rarely useful), all I could do with him was make him a dedicated fighter, and his ho-hum Strength stat didn't lend him to that role. Umaro was... well, Umaro.

My final party wipe count was 16. The only major problem I had with this party (and one I've consistently had in these fiesta challenges, it seems) is that I didn't have a consistent multi-target healing ability. Sure, Sabin had Mantra and Strago had Pearl Wind, but as those were both tied to the user's current HP, they were virtually useless if the caster also had low health. It wasn't until I was able to grab some Megalixirs at the end of the game that this no longer became an issue.

This was a lot of fun. Good luck to the rest of you, and I'll be looking forward to the next run!

FF6FCC PROGRESS
Val: Locke, Sabin, Strago, Umaro - FINISHED

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:08 pm

I am picturing Umaro throwing Locke at godKefka and it is hilarious

I'm up to the Floating Continent. Haven't had a chance to play much this week tbh

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Y’all! I found my charger. We’re back in business.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:37 pm

Yeaaaah I don't think I'm actually going to have time to do this. I've got lots of stuff on my plate.

Return to “Retro Games”