So tell me some of the video games you grew up with as a child...

Moderator: е и ժ е я

DeaneRenata32

So tell me some of the video games you grew up with as a child...

Post by DeaneRenata32 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Get ready for a heaping helping of nostalgia as you brainstorm and talk about the games you grew up playing!

I'll go first...

The first game I ever got was Mario Kart 64 for the Nintendo 64. I remember it like yesterday, going to Toys R Us and buying our Nintendo 64, when I was 9 years old. That's right. I grew up during the Nintendo 64 era.

Our second game was Banjo-Kazooie and then later Banjo-Tooie. Banjo Kazooie was one of the best games I ever played, and I still love Click Clock Wood (my favourite world), even after all these years. Our copy of the game I have had since I was a child, and it has aged pretty well.

I am a Pokemon Trainer. When I was a kid I got one of my first video game systems, the original Gameboy (that's how old I am, I was alive even then), and I got a copy of Pokemon Red to play on it too. My first ever Pokemon was a charmander, oh the memories!

So now tell me of some of the games you played as a child?

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Re: So tell me some of the video games you grew up with as a child...

Post by Marilincarnation » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:21 pm

TMNT IV: Turtles in Time is basically the game of my childhood. Obviously I played a ton of other games, but TMNT IV stands out in a major way. I have a lot of vivid memories of playing that game with my siblings and friends.

There are some games that I feel like my knowledge of them is inherent. There was never a time when I didn't know how to get all 120 stars in Mario 64, all 96 exits in Super Mario World, 101% in Donkey Kong Country. I did a lot of watching my brother play these games as well as playing them myself, and their secrets and levels are just baked into my psyche at this point.

Pokemon Yellow was the first game I bought with my own money (and the GBC with it the first system), and boy did I get my money's worth out of it. Then I skipped right from Yellow to Sapphire, so Gen II is a weird point of non-nostalgia for me.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:31 pm

N64 is really nostalgic for me. I was old enough to remember it well and play it competently. Pokemon Stadium was my favorite, never tired of it. Super Smash Bros takes second place.

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Super Mario Bros. was the first game I ever played, and the NES trilogy of Mario games were a big part of my childhood.

Other major games from the first decade of my life were Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and Banjo-Kazooie.

HarkZero
Supporter

Post by HarkZero » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:19 pm

idk what the first game i ever played was because i was born into a family that already had multiple consoles but im pretty sure Sonic The Hedgehog 2 was the first game i had that was actually my own

but i spent most of my formative years playing the N64, mostly Mario games

other systems i played were NES, SNES, GB & GBC, GBA, PS1 & PS2, DS, and Gamecube
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Pokemon GSC/RSE, Civilization III, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom, A Link to the Past, Star Wars: X-Wing, and Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 are probably enough to give you a 50% shot of guessing what I was playing at any given time before turning 11. There were others, but I played those a lot. Pokemon could easily be around 30% on its own.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Man, I totally forgot Pajama Sam, Putt-putt, and Treasure Math Storm.

THANK YOU FOR CORRECTLY COUNTING THE CRYSTALS.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:50 pm

Games I associate with my childhood: Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, The Legend of Zelda, Jet Moto, the original Crash Bandicoot trilogy, the entire Tony Hawk franchise, Civilization II, Kingdom Hearts, and the first two gens of Pokemon

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:53 am

Nintendo, which at the time meant the usual staples. Mario, Zelda, Metroid before it went Prime. They started to diversify eventually, but I remember that mostly meaning racing (F-Zero, Mario Kart, Wave Race), which were also great.

I was also a big fan of American Technos (River City Ransom, Super Dodge Ball, World Cup Soccer).

RPGs, which mostly meant Final Fantasy. Also had games like Dragon Warrior and Ultima, but FF is the main nostalgic memory for me, especially after the SNES came out.

Anything I could get my hands on from Koei (Nobunaga's Ambition, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Aerobiz), which mostly meant renting because they didn't sell anything in stores.

ActRaiser.

I had a Genesis, but the only things that really stick out to me are Sonic and Shining Force.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

KTiger_44

Post by KTiger_44 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:56 am

Where do I even begin with? I grew up in the deep countryside, in an overly rainy region, most of my friends and cousins lived relatively far away, and I was a fast reader, so I spent an insane amount on time playing... Especially since my father is one of the original nerds and always brought cool stuff home. Since I had my consoles and could sometimes play my father's PC and since my friends brought their consoles for sleepovers, I grew up on a varied diet of LoZ A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong Country, 1st gen Pokémon and Snap, Medal of Honor Underground, Red Baron, Aces over Europe, everything Star Wars I could find, Total Annihilation, Command&Conquer and Red Alert, Nuclear and Soviet Strike, Age of Empires, Civilizations II, Mario Kart... And it was quite awesome.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:14 pm

My favourite game as a kid was 'Jumpman Junior'. It was a Commodore64 game. It was a puzzler/platformer. You had to collect the gems in the levels, and avoid the white dot. It wandered about the levels, and immediately came at you if you crossed it at an X- or Y-axis. Good game. I bet it holds up. That'd be a good One-Credit Contest, man.
boo---------------he is mean and yucky, a real big-time crumbum

The Deku and the Ivy

Post by The Deku and the Ivy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:13 pm

First game I can remember playing is Track and Field, though I don't suppose I'd really say I grew up on it. But at my age, it was fun to race my sisters by stomping.
I used to watch my older sister play Adventure of Link. I don't think she ever got much further than getting the hammer. When I owned the game later I was pretty intimidated when I progressed past that point, having to do what I'd never seen done before.
First game I ever owned was SMB3, which came with my NES. I remember being impressed that there were all these weirdo secrets and rare power-ups.
First game I ever bought was Metroid. I mostly flailed aimlessly in that game.
First game I ever beat was Super Mario World. A friend showed me how to get to the Star Road, but I was the first in my circle to find the Special area. It's also the first game I 100% completed.

Other games I put a lot of hours into through grade school include:
Tetris (NES)
Bubble Bobble
SMB
SMB2
LoZ
Desert Strike (SNES)
Street Fighter 2 (SNES)
Pokemon Blue and Red
Goldeneye
Ocarina of Time
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (due for a remake, imo)
Star Fox 64
Mario Kart 64
SSB:M

I really played a ton of those last 7.

Edit: I remembered my older sister and I beat Bubble Bobble, so that was the first game I beat. SMW was the first game I beat solo.
Last edited by The Deku and the Ivy on Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:43 pm

'Conan: Hall of Volta' was the second-favourite C64 game. It was so good.

It was hard, but good. I liked it lots. I was a huge fan of Conan as a kid. I would play with Legos and watch 'Conan the Barbarian'. Good old Conan, man. Yeah.
boo---------------he is mean and yucky, a real big-time crumbum

Return to “Retro Games”