VGF Four Job Fiesta: Third Time's the Charm

Moderator: Deepfake

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: VGF Four Job Fiesta: Third Time's the Charm

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:04 pm

As helpful as Bard has been, I did the Lenna-less segment without it since it's my least-vital job. The Antlion went down easily thanks to Old and Water Scrolls. I also picked up Mana's Paean at the Library of Ancients.

I am once again thankful that I have multi-target attacks, as my scrolls quickly did away with the Gargoyles. The interior of the pyramid was more tedious than dangerous, though I am starting to run dangerously low on healing items.

Like the pyramid, Melusine wasn't that deadly, but did take a while to get through. Depending on the results of her Barrier Change, I would either focus on spamming physical attacks/Shuriken, or spamming Comet.

Airship acquired. The sandbox is now open.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
Val - 1. Knight 2. Time Mage 3. Bard 4. Ninja
ML - 1. Thief 2. Summoner 3. Blue Mage 4. Dancer
Kat - 1. Monk 2. Red Mage 3. Black Mage 4. Beastmaster
X-3 - 1. Black Mage 2. Mystic Knight 3. ??? 4. ???
Squeege - 1. ??? 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ???

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:54 pm

We deactivated the internet at our house since we’re moving tomorrow, so I can’t upload the screenshots I’ve been taking. But I’ve made a lot of progress, catching up to Val even.

I got Carbuncle in Exdeath’s Castle, because of course I did. That summon will be invaluable. In fact, it has already been invaluable, as it was basically the reason I was able to survive Exdeath this time around. That battle was tough, and setting up Carbuncle + Golem took several turns to do it properly without getting KO’d, but once I got the summons up I was able to get into a good, safe loop to lock him down.

Summons make the gargoyles pretty trivial. Melusine was really tough, though, just because I had such a hard time figuring out her weakness with enough time to actually do damage to her. If I had thought it through more, I would have changed jobs a little bit to have 3 Magic users to expedite the process. As it stood, though, Carbuncle kept me safe and I was able to very slowly but surely whittle her down.

Wendigo freaking sucks. Worst boss in the game.

I don’t plan on doing Fork Tower this time around, because why would I? I don’t have the right classes for Flare and Holy, and I DEFINITELY don’t have the physical strength to beat the Minotaur. So that’ll be one side quest I’m skipping.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:00 pm

After giving this some thought I think I'm going to keep my beastmaster roll. Krile can be my beefed-up BST when I get her. Bartz Garfin can be a monk who also captures things. Lenna is still set to be my dualcasting BM and Faris can be my RM with black magic to raise her MP.

Haven't played any more since I rolled as I wanted some time to think.
mess with the NOOT you get a DOOT!

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Can one person capture and have another release?

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:45 pm

Pretty sure captures are individual. Like, Garfin catches a Goblin and Krile catches a Mythril Dragon; Butz would release the Goblin and Krile the Mythril Dragon. But I didn't play around with it enough my first year to be certain; I got stuck too early lmao
mess with the NOOT you get a DOOT!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Running a few errands now that I have the airship.
  • The first thing I did was head to Moore and grab the Brave Blade. Since I've never run from a battle, it retains its default 150 attack power, making it far and away the strongest weapon in the entire game. And with double-handed...
  • Next I went to the Phantom Village. There I upgraded my equipment, picked up Quick and Banish, and played the final piano.
  • Then I traveled to Crescent and learned Sinewy Etude (good) and Hero's Rime (fantastic).
  • Finally, I entered the Sealed Castle and grabbed some legendary weapons. As my Ninja is now capable of equipping knight swords, I grabbed Excalibur and Sasuke's Katana. These will likely be my Ninja's ultimate weapons, unless I'm somehow able to take down Shinryu and earn Ragnarok. For my third legendary weapon I nabbed Apollo's Harp. It probably won't get much use since my Bard is not going to be doing much fighting, but it may be situationally useful since it does huge damage to dragons and undead.

As you can see, my Knight does ridiculous amounts of damage now. My Ninja does only slightly less. (Wendigo took five attacks before biting the dust.) And with my Bard raising everyone's levels, and my Time Mage providing support... I think it's going to be a fun endgame.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:52 am

By the way, @Marilink, are there any summons you're planning on skipping/have already skipped? I'm assuming since you're not doing Fork Tower that means no Leviathan.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:27 am

Oof, your final party is a lot more potent than mine. That Knight is scary. And I’ve definitely run from some battles. Whoops.

I do plan on getting Leviathan, Bahamut, and Phoenix, if i can. Bahamut might be too big of a challenge, though I’m willing to grind a little.

I’m curious, why would skipping Fork Tower lead me to skip Leviathan? Is there a connection between Fork Tower and Istory Falls that I’m forgetting?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:26 am

IIRC, you need the submarine to reach Istory Falls, and to get the submarine you have to beat Fork Tower.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:15 pm

Hm. Good call. I thought you could get to Istory with the black chocobo, but I honestly kinda forgot.

Maybe I can make Fork Tower happen. I’ll just have to be very careful with my Thief and Dancer on the physical side of the tower. I’m hatching a plan to get a Dancing Dagger (sold my other one before considering this) and equip Lamia’s Tiara on Faris as a Thief, so that she can get Swords Dances as much as possible. then making Butz my Dancer. I think it could work.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:49 pm

Ifrit got nuked by Ice 2. Byblos put up more of a struggle but not enough of one to be a problem.

Sakaguchi must have made this game after a really bad cruise or something.

This was a lot easier than I expected it to be. Maybe it was because I just Aqua Raked it when I first played the game.

I forgot this boss existed.

Smurfed!

Not Smurfed! I have no way of running away from this fight so the only way to get the treasure will be through some save-scumming. IIRC I'll have to do that before World 2.

The nerve. Anyway I fought Ramuh but forgot to get a picture.

Adam Timmy hit hard but still went down pretty quickly. I didn't get a picture of Sol Cannon because of how IMMERSED I was but it took two tries due to poor Nightengale luck.

As you can probably tell this fight was another pain. Galuf continues to be the unorthodox RNG healer, go figure.

And with that I have access to my final job, which is...
Spoiler.

Damn!
Spoiler.

Well, at least I'll look cool. Dragoon is a ridiculously simple job even for this game, so it doesn't have that much synergy with the other jobs to my understanding. At best there's Black Mage+Lancet or something. But hey, possible Shinryuu cheese?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:35 pm

So I ended up having a little trouble with the Fork Tower myself. The bosses, in particular. Minotaur was a simple fight, but he hit so hard that I had to stop and heal almost every turn. I also made the dumb mistake of leaving my Ninja equipped with Excalibur, which, being Holy-elemental, would actually heal Minotaur. I was one hit away from a wipe when the boss went down.

Omniscient was a tougher fight. The only offensive ability in my possession that wouldn't cause the boss to use Reset was Comet, which dealt a piddly 500 damage on average (out of Omniscient's 17,000 HP). I had my Bard singing for the entire fight while my Time Mage cast Comet repeatedly. It was slow, but it worked... until the boss's HP got low and it started casting third-level elemental spells. Faris got KO'ed by one such spell, leaving Lenna helplessly and obliviously singing by herself.

Party Wipe Count: 5

I thought over my party setup for a bit and then tried the tower again. This time I gave my Ninja and Knight !Image, which trivialized the fight with Minotaur. For the Omniscient fight, I equipped my Time Mage with a Reflect Ring I was lucky enough to acquire back when I did the Barrier Tower. The battle went much the same as before, only this time once Omniscient began casting high-level magic, they were reflected right back in his face.

Submarine acquired!

Four Job Fiesta Summary
X-3 - 1. Black Mage 2. Mystic Knight 3. Ranger 4. Dragoon

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:58 am

I went and tackled the Great Sea Trench. On one hand, battles were really easy since all of the enemies there are undead, and Requiem deals a ton of damage to them. On the other hand...

LAVA. It would've been nice to have a Geomancer here, because walking through this stuff drops everyone's HP to 1 in just a few steps. Since the battles were so easy I managed to stay alive though, even when I got caught with low health.

Nereid, Phobos and Triton would've been a difficult fight if they weren't undead, and I didn't have Requiem. They went down, I got Meteor. :cool:

Spent all my money on Shuriken and healing items... next up is the Rift.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
X-3 - 1. Black Mage 2. Mystic Knight 3. Ranger 4. Dragoon

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:18 pm

No gameplay update, but I wanted to let you all know that you all owe it to yourselves to pick up the FFV book by Chris Kohler from Boss Fight Books. It’s easily the best of the ones I’ve read. He even has a section on the FJF.

Here’s an excerpt, too: https://kotaku.com/the-friendly-rivals- ... 1797143910

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:49 pm

Just entering the Forest of Moore. Things are going pretty swimmingly and bosses are going down pretty easily. Dragoon is actually a nice backup Break Blade user due to being able to use daggers, and unsurprisingly Jump saved my bacon during Titan and Chimera Brain. I got really lucky during Barrier Tower too: Killer Bow instakilled three dragons and I got a Coral and Wall Ring.

Zeza died for this.

Return to “Retro Games”