Moderator: е и ժ е я

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:48 pm

^ V was better than IV.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:15 pm

As NES titles go, the original was among my favorites.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

Squeege

Post by Squeege » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:54 pm

If you enjoyed FFIII, then you may enjoy FFI, as three was mostly based on one. At the very least, FF1 is very much worth trying, if only to see where the series came from.

FFII had a lot of really strange ideas, which most people agree didn't really work. It's unique, but IMO not particularly enjoyable.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:52 am

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1521101, member: 30663"]^ V was better than IV.[/QUOTE]

It's not April 1st, Val.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:57 am

Exactly. So you can stop the act.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:02 am

Surely you jest, Val. This isn't funny anymore, Kain is getting angry.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:06 am

[QUOTE="Squeege, post: 1521116, member: 37204"]If you enjoyed FFIII, then you may enjoy FFI, as three was mostly based on one. At the very least, FF1 is very much worth trying, if only to see where the series came from.

FFII had a lot of really strange ideas, which most people agree didn't really work. It's unique, but IMO not particularly enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, I absolutely hated FFIII. It had some charm here and there, but then it started making me fight the same three bosses with different color palettes over and over again. Ended up beating it with an action replay (played the DS version) code to make everything die in one hit and turn random encounters off.

As someone who has seen the opening menu of FFV, I feel highly qualified to say that IV is better.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:22 am

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1521101, member: 30663"]^ V was better than IV.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is true BUT I do believe V is very underrated. It's been lost in the dark and I think it should resurface. All they did with it really was make a couple ports or whatever, right? (PS and GBA?) I played through about a quarter on my emulator but I always got sidetracked by other stuff. But I vow to return to it. I never get annoyed at replaying it from the beginning. It's a very simple story, yeah, but it still retains the elegance of those old FF games. It's short, sweet and to the point.

I compared it at the time to Secret of Mana. I downloaded the two and went back and forth and found myself more attracted to FF V. I was talking to a friend about my critique on how the two treat the story differently. Secret of Mana started with the usual diatribe about a backstory and blah blah blah. And then when it's over you're introduced to some loud-mouth kids like "HAI OMG SHUT UP DUDE WE'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE BUT WE'RE A BUNCH OF REBEL MALE PROTAGONISTS BECAUSE THAT SHOWS THAT WE CAN BE HEROES!"

FFV does none of that. It doesn't b***** you with backstory or annoying loud-mouth kids. It starts off simple and elegant and even cinematic - a king sets off on his dragon against his daughter's wishes, and boom, you're warped into what's going on.

Granted, all FF games do that, and that's one reason why I love them - they all open up so well. IV and V do equally well in that regard.

My only serious complaint is the graphics. It felt pretty weak and bare, IDK why.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:51 am

Well, V did receive some kind of anime prequel thing iirc.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:10 am

Maybe it's just the fact that it was a revolutionary experience with the new console or that I played through it dozens of times, but IV still stands out to me. I barely remember V.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:32 am

IV was my first Final Fantasy game, so I'm probably a bit biased. V deserves more attention, but considering it came out between IV and VI I understand why people forget it exists sometimes.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:57 am

I've always felt like my perception of IV would be rosier if I had played it first, but where it stands now I simply don't enjoy it as much as any of its successors. After all, the one I did play first (VI) is my favorite in the franchise.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:09 pm

X was my first FF game but after playing VI I think VI is my favorite. I have to replay X at some point now that I'm an adult (ha, sort of) and reconsider everything in a new light.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:31 pm

While it's not exactly an unpopular opinion, I actually like Final Fantasy IX the most. I don't think it's exactly an unpopular opinion - because you pretty much never see people trash-talking it outside of Spoony. (And Jay. :P ) Nobody really speaks about it because almost every discussion on IX outside of plot theories turns into an echo chamber of praise. Whereas something like VII, VIII, or X sparks a huge debate. (Though I will admit, 2014 surprsied me - with the HD rerelease, epople started praising x... whoa, where did you guys come from? And where were you guys the past 7 years?)

In terms of names... When I was little, I did osmething silly with IV. No, not name the characters "Cock" and "Peepee", I swapped all the names around. The only time I did something really stupid was with a Final Fantasy IX run so I got some funny lines.

"Hey! Who's there?"
"Its me, stupid!"

"Don't call me Garnet! Call me... Garnet!"

"They call me the Flaming Baby."

Oelivert fakes:
"I am fake!"
"I am snobby"
"I Robot"
"I'm stupid!"

"Whoa! Look at all the idiots!"

Zae Eildus

Post by Zae Eildus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:17 pm

hmm wonder if its an unpopular that i think final fantasy v was the best?

insert void joke here

Return to “Retro Games”