GameStop to begin offering classic games and consoles.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Valigarmander
Supermod

GameStop to begin offering classic games and consoles.

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:21 am

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/15/ ... -and-games
Dust off your Nintendo 64. Once again it, and other retro consoles, will be accepted at GameStop. The company will launch a pilot sales and trade-in program for retro consoles, games, and accessories in two of its markets beginning April 25.

Stores in its NYC and Birmingham markets, which comprise around 250 store locations, will play host to the program.

According to a spokesperson for GameStop, the qualifying locations will begin accepting "games, systems and select accessories for most 'retro' platforms," going all the way back to the Nintendo Entertainment System. If the program proves successful, GameStop hopes to roll it out nationally "later this year."

The systems and accessories that you will be able to trade-in and purchase include the NES, Super NES, SEGA Genesis, PlayStation, N64, and SEGA Dreamcast. This will increase the number of games GameStop offers either for sale or to purchase by "about 5000."

"We will bring all of the product back through the Refurbishment Operations Center for inspection, testing and repair," GameStop told us. The lead time between when it begins accepting trades and when the products will be put on sale is estimated to be about 2 months. This gives the company sufficient processing time and "time to build up a good assortment for retro games fans to select from when shopping."

However, you won't be inundated with the sights and sounds of your favorite retro games when you walk into your local store. Purchases can be made on GameStop'swebsite or through its web-in-store system.

The GameStop spokesperson said all of these retro consoles are expected to "have the same warranty as current used and refurbished consoles."

Earlier in the year, a report surfaced that GameStop had developed a system to repair the dreaded red-ring of death problem in Xbox 360 consoles, a report that was later verified in a statement from the company.

At the beginning of March,GameStop announced it would once again start accepting PlayStation 2 consoles for in-store credit.

What do you think? Do you have a spare retro console laying around you'd like to turn into new games, or are you interested in finding a one-stop shop for your retro needs? Get the conversation going in the comments.
I could see myself getting some use out of this.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:35 am

I could get some use out of it.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:20 am

Love it but I hope they buy high and sell low, relativey speaking.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:21 am

Great. Look forward to seeing shelves crammed to the gills with garbagey bullsh*t. As if that weren't a feature of shopping at Gamestop to start with.

Anyone thinks he's going to walk into GS and come out with a copy of 'Chrono Trigger' is fooling himself. There'll be a million copies of 'Bubsy' to every game a human might actually want.

...hhhhh. Would be lying if I claimed there weren't a small part of me hyped by this news, neverminding how disappointed I'll inevitably be.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:43 am

It's funny because they used to back before they were Gamestop. I'm glad they're dipping back in, though. It's a market that they don't hurt themselves by serving, and I thought it very strange when they cut retro trading.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:22 am

I think they sense the digital gaming sales will soon be stronger than physical copies. The more diverse their gaming offerings are the better they will survive.

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:19 am

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1529734, member: 17381"]Great. Look forward to seeing shelves crammed to the gills with garbagey bullsh*t. As if that weren't a feature of shopping at Gamestop to start with.

Anyone thinks he's going to walk into GS and come out with a copy of 'Chrono Trigger' is fooling himself. There'll be a million copies of 'Bubsy' to every game a human might actually want.

...hhhhh. Would be lying if I claimed there weren't a small part of me hyped by this news, neverminding how disappointed I'll inevitably be.[/QUOTE]
Never mind Bubsy, you'll probably have every edition of Madden on every shelf.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:22 am

^Bang a gong. Like who wouldn't be at least half-chub.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:39 am

Madden should do a Madden '72 for Magnavox Odyssey for s**ts and giggles.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:38 am

^Man. It'd be one of the only Maddens I couldn't play.

...I have my brother's Odyssey2, but I've never even heard of someone had a regular Odyssey, aside from the Nerd. (Accidental rhyme.) (Accidental awesome rhyme. Huh.)

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:53 am

I'm excited as hell. I don't care what I'd be able to get as long as it's retro. I like collecting.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Will the number of "Battletoads at GameStop" jokes go up or down?
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:39 pm

So they'll give me a quarter for my NES games. No thanks. I'll hold on to them instead. Just in case.

At least the games will probably work, unlike half the used CD games Gamestop sells.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:24 pm

[QUOTE="Revenant User, post: 1529741, member: 35827"]Never mind Bubsy, you'll probably have every edition of Madden on every shelf.[/QUOTE]

the n64 section will be nothing but wwf/wcw/nwo games.
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:28 pm

There's nothing wrong with that necessarily.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:31 pm

what pisses me off whenever i go to my local retro games store is thta they always have the n64 wrestling games but they don't have smackdown

i mean no mercy is still the GOAT wrestling game but smackdown is the tits too
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:31 pm

N64 wrestling were the best, PS2 too but went downhill after that.

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:33 pm

[QUOTE="DarkZero, post: 1529762, member: 34654"]Will the number of "Battletoads at GameStop" jokes go up or down?[/QUOTE]
I know it's dumb, but I totally love playing Battletoads. With the right people, it's a riot. I'd buy it. Haha.

Luckily, my fiancé has a raspberry pi thing we use as an emulator so we play these retro games all the time.

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:52 pm

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1529756, member: 31048"]I'm excited as hell. I don't care what I'd be able to get as long as it's retro. I like collecting.[/QUOTE]
Same XD

[QUOTE="Wu-Tang Panfan, post: 1529802, member: 29448"]what pisses me off whenever i go to my local retro games store is thta they always have the n64 wrestling games but they don't have smackdown

i mean no mercy is still the GOAT wrestling game but smackdown is the tits too[/QUOTE]
Dood Yesssss

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:39 pm

I would prefer to keep going to my local retro gaming shop.

Return to “Retro Games”