When did retro come back?

Moderator: е и ժ е я

ScottyMcGee

When did retro come back?

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 18, 2015 7:43 am

I mean, you could argue it's not really in the mainstream - people are still fanatic by Call of Duty 253535 and whatever. But when and how did retro suddenly gain a resurgence? From what I recall, I noticed it around when I entered college in 2008. Mega Man 9 was going to be released and soon 10 was after that. I noticed indie games hearkening back to NES and SNES graphics and style. People liking SNES music. Artists referring to 8-bit. Stuff like that. I also don't just mean video games - but a general "everything that was old is new again" movement, like with vinyls now. Vinyls are suddenly sold in lots of places again like CDs, and new albums are even released on vinyls. Dozens of companies are dishing out those all-in-one "retro consoles" for your SNES and Genesis and NES games and whatever else, as well as new turntables for vinyls.

I don't ever remember noticing any of this during my high school years or before. Was it like this before and I just never paid attention? I mean, sure, there have always been people who love retro stuff but I felt like that was more niche and made fun of back then. Maybe it has to do with the whole hipster thing that suddenly popped up in the early 2000's? That's another thing too - the hipster thing. Or maybe - simply put - we reached a point in higher technology (iPods, iPads, next gen constoles) that at some point we looked back and said "That was cool too though"?
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 am

About the time when many gamers were finally too young to remember when the industry turned against 2D and pixels as we do. Indie platformers started to catch on in a big way, as the AAA industry had mostly abandoned that most popular genre of games due to the whole nature of pitching a product and the media hype model which sustained gaming up to that point. The mainstream message was simply that if something was previously possible, it was shameful and underdeveloped.

The concept that a single programmer had worked on something, with an aim to make the best kind of something he could, made that 'oldschool' style acceptable again. Part of that is the faceless nature of corporations. A lot of the producers, directors, and project leads over all have started to realise what an important role they can play in promotion and a face for the public. Around the turn of the century, we didn't have much of that personal touch, we just had companies and customer loyalty. Putting a face to the game also became more important as piracy became a hot-button issue. Devs couldn't hide behind publishers if they wanted to keep getting paid, anymore.

See, platformers weren't really ever unpopular, there were just a lot of them, and as time went on the quality of them in general rose. Magazines and so on couldn't clearly criticise the saturation on a game-by-game basis, and experimental projects looked new and interesting and made for easier journalism. When games crashed, it wasn't because they weren't likeable anymore or were simply unpopular, the marketing environment had grown hostile. When leads had to explain where all the money went and why the games weren't selling to investors and higher-ups, they had to make it easy to understand. So it was said that platformers, oldschool arcade games, and the like were simply no longer popular. Competition had killed the genres as a business decision.

But after 3D genres had been around for ten years, and devs were failing to set the world alight with new control methods and interfaces, the lack of variety began to wear on the industry as a whole. More than that, it'd been long out of gamers' minds that 2D or 'old' games were bad - that market fiasco had run its course, and 2D games had become scarce.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Mon May 18, 2015 7:49 am

Because people started to realize that nostalgia is a good incentive to buy something.

For better or worse.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon May 18, 2015 2:10 pm

The first game I remember seeing that was a deliberate throwback to earlier gaming was the first NSMB in 2006 (although they did have the Classic NES Series for GBA a few years earlier, perhaps to test the waters). That was around the time the Wii launched with the Virtual Console and reselling older games became a significant part of their business. I don't know how much of a contributing factor this is to the oversaturation of 'retro indie' titles, but I think it might have carved out a larger market they might not have normally reached.

In terms of the retro fad as a whole, I'm not sure when that started. The kind of thing where "that thing you like as a child, we're bringing it back for you as an adult" has been around since forever. The thing with 20-somethings relishing technology that went out of style before they were born probably came from the idea that being ironic in your lifestyle was a way to stand out among the mainstream (i.e. the hipster).
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon May 18, 2015 3:02 pm

It never really left, did it? Seriously retro games get re-released all the time and games borrowing retro games' style have always been made. The difference now is that instead of being put on Newgrounds it's all thrown onto Steam Greenlight.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:34 am

Kinda reminds me of people crying about remasters and remakes but they've been around forever and they can be good (Mario All-Stars is a perfect example of good remaster collections),

Retro gaming is pretty cool, glad it exploded like it did.

Red

Post by Red » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:07 am

[spoiler]Image [/spoiler]

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:31 pm

There were retro collection os the PSX and N64-------it's not really a new thing.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:52 am

I think more companies are doing it now compared to before when you had to make a physical copy with several games on it to justify the cost to people. Now you can release any game on its own for the right price.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:10 am

eBay Inc. (stylized as ebay) is an American multinational corporation and e-commerce company, providing consumer to consumer & business to consumer sales services via Internet. It is headquartered in San Jose, California, United States. eBay was founded by Pierre Omidyar in 1995, and became a notable success story of the dot-com bubble. Today, it is a multi-billion dollar business with operations localized in over thirty countries

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:06 pm

When Nostalgia-bait started becoming an easy way to get money.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:19 pm

With the rise of independent publishing on digital platforms. It's cheaper for an indie programmer to create a retro game. Then say he did it that way for nostalgia.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:39 am

[QUOTE="Red, post: 1536809, member: 34678"][spoiler]Image [/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Fun fact: I am friends in real life with the guy with the afro and glasses depicted in the last panel. He went to college with Katie.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:47 pm

[QUOTE="Sim Kid, post: 1536919, member: 22276"]When Nostalgia-bait started becoming an easy way to get money.[/QUOTE]
Why, if I didn't know any better, I might say that you're being cynical.
Carthago delendum est

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:20 pm

He's not wrong though. For every Shovel Knight or VVVVVV, there's a free-to-play disaster of a mobile game with a similar aesthetic. See how many stores sell NES controller belt buckles or shirts with the Konami code on them. People pay good money to remind themselves of the video games of their past, and companies know this.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:40 pm

I would just rather put the best construction on everything. It's not wrong to say that companies exploit nostalgia, but it's unnecessary to have such a poor attitude about it all.
Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:08 am

I don't just have nostalgia. I like the NES hardware and aesthetic. I never would've stopped buying games for it. When the rental businesses finally decided to sell off their NES cartridges, I had a field day and bought tons of them, some for less than a dollar each. The idea that other hardware is intrinsically better by being more powerful is pretty crap. The NES and other systems succeeded where many many products failed, and that is because most facets of its being enabled many of the games which now sustain the modern industry to have been invented. Labeling a respect and like for that as pure nostalgia is narrow-minded.

The palettes of colors, the resolution of the screen, the size of the sprites, the synths available to the hardware team, etc, they all contributed to create the perfect storm. It's still a pleasure to interact with. The existence of modern hardware does not negate that.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Haloah

Post by Haloah » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:40 am

I think one or two years ago, not more.

When people were fed up with economic crisis & probloems, they usually take a look back and want to rediscover what was better before. In our case, the last moment of happiness and economic stability were during 80s, 90s and beginning of 2000.

That's why people go back to old days, in every way (clothes, video games, way of life...)

Shady

Post by Shady » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:47 pm

I think with video games it may just have taken a bit longer than with other mediums as music and movies were around for much longer.

Return to “Retro Games”