OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD: where we complain about popular things in media we don't like to feel better about ourselves

Moderators: Bomby, Apollo the Just

Booyakasha
Supermod

Re: OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD: where we complain about popular things in media we don't like to feel better about ourselves

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:15 pm

I liked seeing Elton John kick the crap out of some baddies in the dumb second dumb 'Kingsman' flick. It was fun, and funny.

Elton John's a knight. Of course he'd dust off the old dukes and fight bad guys. It makes total sense. Yeah.
boo-------nothin but hooves, fangs, tusks, antlers and broken blades

Booyakasha
Supermod

Re: OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD: where we complain about popular things in media we don't like to feel better about ourselves

Post by Booyakasha » Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 pm

...I was always very slightly bothered in SMB3 when a Big Bertha would eat Mario.

Every other death would just have Mario jumping off the stage, you know? Because it was literally a stage. The game opens with curtains rising. It's a play that you play. Having Mario get swallowed whole makes it a little too real.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:58 pm

I'm a little bothered whenever they show a half-octopus thing in the media. Ursula the sea-witch is a half-octopus, as is Donald in the Little Mermaid portion of Kingdom Hearts. And the Sharktopus.

I mean, I understand design trumps practicality, or whatever, but in cephalopods (octopuses and squids, and...like, cuttlefishes and nautiluses), the tentacles invariably surround the mouth. Ursula doesn't make sense, nor Donald. The Sharktopus has two mouths and zero anuses. We see Ursula eat. Does she poop? Is having to poop out of one of your mouths the kind of thing that might compel you to become an evil sea-witch?

Ursula has a rad villain song. Could she harmonise with herself out of her butt-mouth? That must take extraordinary self-mastery. I can make sounds with my butt, but any harmony that results is incidental. I certainly couldn't solo Lakme's Flower Duet. And even if I could, I probably shouldn't.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 pm

I really, really, REALLY **** hate it when people herald Pixar storytelling as the **** pinnacle of writing in animation. Are their movies bad? No. But they're also formulaic as ****. Here, get ready, I'm about to spoil like 8 different **** films for you in one easy sentence, writers HATE him:

Spoiler.
The guy you thought was the good guy was actually the bad guy!!!!!

Pixar characters tend to be more like symbols than characters, their animation is spectacle but there is often relatively little depth to it that makes them feel truly alive. What they do is good but it's far from the be-all end-all of animated cinema and I am sooooooo tired of their works being the only things ever acknowledged in popular consciousness.

The overall view on Pixar as being the **** gods of animated movies has actively soiled my enjoyment of some films that I otherwise really enjoyed (Coco and Big Hero 6), because I enjoyed them, but I also am critical of them and definitely like other films better (How to Train Your Dragon, Kubo and the Two Strings, and The Book of Life, for example). The Pixar approach is excellent at throwing you for a meaningful loop on a first watch and making commentary on a certain topic, but not necessarily pushing the boundaries of what animation can DO, not developing 3-dimensional characters, and not pushing themselves beyond their comfort zone.

Pixar is good but please acknowledge that other creators are doing more interesting things. jfjdkjklfdjlfjlsj i am so stupidly angry about this for no reason

(related I'm really glad spiderverse got acknowledged last year, even if I don't care about comic book and superhero stuff I'm glad someone else doing something exciting got that attention)

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:59 am

Apollo the Just wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 pm
I really, really, REALLY **** hate it when people herald Pixar storytelling as the **** pinnacle of writing in animation. Are their movies bad? No. But they're also formulaic as ****. Here, get ready, I'm about to spoil like 8 different **** films for you in one easy sentence, writers HATE him:

Spoiler.
The guy you thought was the good guy was actually the bad guy!!!!!

Pixar characters tend to be more like symbols than characters, their animation is spectacle but there is often relatively little depth to it that makes them feel truly alive. What they do is good but it's far from the be-all end-all of animated cinema and I am sooooooo tired of their works being the only things ever acknowledged in popular consciousness.

The overall view on Pixar as being the **** gods of animated movies has actively soiled my enjoyment of some films that I otherwise really enjoyed (Coco and Big Hero 6), because I enjoyed them, but I also am critical of them and definitely like other films better (How to Train Your Dragon, Kubo and the Two Strings, and The Book of Life, for example). The Pixar approach is excellent at throwing you for a meaningful loop on a first watch and making commentary on a certain topic, but not necessarily pushing the boundaries of what animation can DO, not developing 3-dimensional characters, and not pushing themselves beyond their comfort zone.

Pixar is good but please acknowledge that other creators are doing more interesting things. jfjdkjklfdjlfjlsj i am so stupidly angry about this for no reason

(related I'm really glad spiderverse got acknowledged last year, even if I don't care about comic book and superhero stuff I'm glad someone else doing something exciting got that attention)
Pixar have felt formulaic ever since their first film, tbh. I'm grateful they don't burst into song every minute to avoid any real plot like most Disney does, but they're definitely very samey feeling.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:47 am

So, this is a very minor thing, but I like it when a song stops on a dime at the end. It feels very precise, very clean, very measured. I like that better than having the music fade out, and much better than having the music just kind of fall apart at the end. Like, the tempo decreases, the melody dissolves, and the band does a big sting to finish it off? Not my thing. It isn't horrible, it doesn't ruin a song, but it just feels off somehow.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:11 pm

OK I have to admit.... I have a sort of fondness for mystery writing that STILL USES the "enhance image!!!" trope in the year 2019. Like, people have been calling out that complete bull for 20+ years by now, enough that there is sufficient media that makes FUN of the very trope because that is Not How Stuff Works At All, that any time a writer in this day and age goes "yep lol let's do that" i'm just like............. I have to almost admire the audacity, you know?

Like, I still hate it, but it's such a power move that I can't even be that mad about it anymore. They KNOW by now that it's a dumb trope that no one takes seriously, and they're using it anyway.

I've taken to just convincing myself that "the image was super high res all along and they're just zooming in for additional detail that was already there and already sufficiently recorded" at this point

Return to “Movies, Television, and Animation”