MCU Megathread

Moderators: Bomby, Apollo the Just

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Re: MCU Megathread

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri May 03, 2019 10:56 pm

Spoilery confirmation about the live-action Disney+ shows today:
We're halfway through Cloak & Dagger S2.
Agents of SHIELD S6 premieres next week.
Far From Home opens in almost exactly 2 months.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 06, 2019 10:51 am

WHOOO

I saw Endgame yesterday.

Whoa, buddy.

So much to unpack here.
Spoiler.
My first question/point of discussion is how the time travel works.

From what I understand, there is now an alternate universe without a Thanos, Nebula, and Gamora. The Avengers went back in time to get the power stone from Morag. But then Thanos found out about their plan and went to their future. But the way the time travel works is not that timelines are "rewritten" à la Back to the Future; rather, an alternate universe is created. With past Thanos defeated along with past Nebula, and Gamora (assumed?) to have run off again, THAT past they left behind now exists as an offshoot without those characters.

THAT is how I understand it.

The question now comes at the very end with Cap. Does the movie trip over its own logic? The way I assumed it worked was that Cap went back in time to put the stones back and then be with Peggy. Then when she died of old age, he went forward in time again to his own parallel universe. But the problem with that is that it's assumed you need to come back via the quantum tunnel, which he didn't - he just appeared there as an old man waiting for them to find him. So does this mean there was another Cap behind the scenes the entire time? How does---what---I don't know. That wouldn't make sense either because this movie follows the alternate universe theory of time travel. Cap wouldn't be in that timeline anymore - he would be in a new timeline where he made the choice to be with Peggy.

I was slightly disappointed that Nick Fury wasn't present when Tony died. I thought that the guy who hired him and started the Avengers should have been there. In fact, we didn't see Nick Fury in the final battle at all (Did we? There was a lot of **** going on so maybe I blinked and missed it?). I would have thought he'd come in with the helicarrier or something.

I also was disappointed at Hulk's story. I was expecting him to return to the old Hulk in the final battle. My theory for why he couldn't turn into the Hulk in Infinity War was that his Hulk personae was afraid of Thanos, because Thanos was the only villain to beat him. In here, we get this Smart Hulk hybrid and I thought the storyline was going to go to a certain place where he overcame his fear of Thanos and returned to the good old Hulk.

You know what actually killed me the most? It wasn't Iron Man dying or Cap returning to Peggy. It after the end credits when you heard Tony making the Iron Man suit from the 2008 film. THAT killed me. It's so simple - just those dull clangs, and it warped me back to 2008 when I entered college and the MCU just started. It was a real tearjerker for me, man. It's also somewhat fitting that this is the one MCU movie without a post-credits scene.

EDIT: I'm suffering from ALL THE FEELS right now because it just occurred to me that I saw the first Iron Man movie way back exactly 10 years ago on DVD in my dorm with the girl who would much later become my now-girlfriend. And we saw the end together too. Oh man. This whole thing gives me so many feels. Like I never thought I'd say that I "grew up" with something even after I became 18. You usually say you "grew up" with something like Harry Potter when you were kids, or like with Toy Story or some other thing you read/watched as a child. But even though I started watching the MCU when I was 19 onward, it still feels like I "grew up" with these movies.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon May 06, 2019 2:09 pm

^Re: your question:
Spoiler.
Yes, there is now an alternate universe without Thanos, Gamora, or Nebula.
Likewise, there is now another alternate universe where Steve reunited with Peggy a few years after the war. He then warped back to his original universe at the end, since Peggy had already passed on by then anyway.

Of course, I prefer to pretend that everything is a stable time loop other than Loki's escape.

Speaking of spoilers, Tom "Spoilers" Holland himself warns us about them at the start of this new Far From Home trailer, & he's not kidding:
Spoiler.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 06, 2019 3:56 pm

CaptHayfever wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:09 pm
^Re: your question:
Spoiler.
Yes, there is now an alternate universe without Thanos, Gamora, or Nebula.
Likewise, there is now another alternate universe where Steve reunited with Peggy a few years after the war. He then warped back to his original universe at the end, since Peggy had already passed on by then anyway.

Of course, I prefer to pretend that everything is a stable time loop other than Loki's escape.

Speaking of spoilers, Tom "Spoilers" Holland himself warns us about them at the start of this new Far From Home trailer, & he's not kidding:
Spoiler.

Spoiler.
Someone sort of kind of actually answered my question about Cap's return as an old man. I totally forgot that Cap and Iron Man zipped to 1970 using their suits without the need for the launchpad. So the assumption is that you don't always need the launchpad to go through time. Even still, I guess it's just a bit confusing then why they act as though the launchpad is the only way back at the end. I'm going to rewatch it tomorrow actually.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue May 07, 2019 3:41 pm

In not-MCU-but-still-Disney-owned-Fox-Marvel news:
--Surprising no one, Channing Tatum's Gambit has been completely removed from the Fox production schedule. (They hadn't even started the script yet, so whatever.)
--Likewise, New Mutants has been delayed again, this time with its release set for April 3rd of next year. Next year's MCU releases are almost certainly Black Widow & Eternals, so this delay is probably just to do with the ordered reshoots not having started yet.
--Three "untitled" Fox Marvel releases have been dropped from the production schedule as well.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed May 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Kevin Feige did a surprise Reddit AMA today. He did not answer my question. He did however confirm that
Spoiler.
there are plans to revisit the Ten Rings & the Mandarin, following up on the surprise reveal of "All Hail the King"
which feeds the rumor that
Spoiler.
the Mandarin will be the villain of Shang-Chi.

In other news, Netflix is starting to tease season 3 of Jessica Jones, so it's probably no more than a couple more months out. Maybe June or late-July? Surely they wouldn't open it against Spidey in early July.

Meanwhile, we still have:
3 more episodes of C&D S2,
12 more episodes of AoS S6, &
51 more days until Far From Home.

Return to “Movies, Television, and Animation”