California becomes fifth state to legalize assisted suicide.

Moderators: I am nobody, Deku Tree

Valigarmander
Supermod

California becomes fifth state to legalize assisted suicide.

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:37 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34450058
California has joined four other US states that allow terminally ill patients to legally end their lives with a doctor's supervision.

State Governor Jerry Brown signed the bill into law on Monday.

The bill was partly inspired by the case of a terminally ill California woman who moved to Oregon to end her life.

At least two dozen states introduced aid-in-dying legislation this year, but none has become law.

The right-to-die movement gained support in California after Brittany Maynard, a cancer patient who lived in the state, moved to Oregon to legally end her life.

Her family including her mother, Debbie Ziegler, spoke in support of the bill.

Religious groups had opposed the bill, saying assisted suicide was against God's will. The Catholic Church had urged Governor Brown to veto it.

Advocates for people with disabilities also worried that terminally ill patients could be pressured into choosing death.

Governor Brown, a Catholic who once studied to become a priest, had taken weeks to decide whether to sign the bill.

"In the end, I was left to reflect on what I would want in face of my own death," Governor Brown said.

"I do not know what I would do if I were dying in prolonged and excruciating pain. I am certain, however, that it would be a comfort to be able to consider the option afforded by this bill."

The law stipulates that two doctors must approve the use of the life-ending drugs and two witnesses must be present when the drugs are administered.

The patient also must be physically capable of taking the drugs themselves.

Oregon, Washington, Vermont and Montana already have similar laws in place.
Hopefully a sign of more to come. I don't see why it should be so controversial that someone who is suffering a prolonged death be able to end it comfortably and on their own terms.

What're your opinions on assisted dying?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:44 am

On religious grounds it seems bad. Aside from that, the general morality of this seems questionable...but maybe our freedom should extend as far as ending our own lives. I can see how some of us would like this option.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:46 am

It doesn't harm other people so it's not really harmful to society in my eyes. My only other suggestion that that if you have family then they have to be ok with it. Less traumatic that way, you know?

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:00 am

I'd much rather be given an earlier death than suffer the worst of old age, especially Alzheimer's. To have my own memories decay, that's pure hell for me. If my memories die, I die with, that's enough for me to support assisted suicide in general.

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:41 am

GOOD. I'd rather take a dignified death, where I'm still completely in control, where at the least I *know* what's happening. Not hooked up to a **** load of medical devices not designed to cure me of whatever, but to prolong whatever suffering i'm in.
"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -
GET BETTER - dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:23 am

You know, I don't know what I'd rather. Hard to pretend relatively-healthy today-me knows what hypothetical terminally-ill someday-me would want. Maybe I'll face death like a champ and leap into the abyss--------maybe I'll cling pitifully to life like a weenie. One can't really know.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:24 am

Either way, it's nice to have the option.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:34 am

This law should be called "the right not to suffer"
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:50 am

I understand euthanization, but personally if I were terminally ill I'd just want to live it out as epic as I can. I have too long of a bucket list to just give up. That or give myself up for scientific research. Go ahead, buddy. Probe my brain. See what you find. FOR SCIENCE.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:39 pm

It's intended for people who are too sick or too injured to have a chance at living a remotely enjoyable life. Most would be picking between death and indefinite life support, not death and bucket lists.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Right right. When you're totally incapacitated you're totally incapacitated. Some people still do it even when they're not as such. At the very least, if I were so incapacitated, I'd want to die outdoors. For the love of God - I would not want to die indoors on a bed. Just roll me out and do it.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:28 am

everyone should watch Terry Practchets Right to Die. It's a very very informative documentary on this subject.
"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -
GET BETTER - dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:44 pm

Oh I was actually thinking about that. I didn't realize there was a documentary. I just knew that Terry Prachett wanted to have an assisted suicide.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:18 pm

We put our pets to death because it's the humane thing to do. Humans should be treated at least as well.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:21 pm

Similarly Terri Schiavo is another case of why being forced to stay alive is absolute hell.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:50 pm

So who puts these people down, anyway? A special grim reaper doctor, black coat and all? Deathologist?

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”