SXSW cancels booth on combating harassment in games because of threats

Moderators: I am nobody, Deku Tree

LOOT
Banned

SXSW cancels booth on combating harassment in games because of threats

Post by LOOT » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:34 am

In the most depressing sense of irony, SXSW has cancelled the booth by Randi Harper and Katherine Cross designated to discuss combating hate and harassment in an online field. It's one of the most disgusting things to ever come out of the gaming side of the world.

On a slightly positive note because of this, the Gamergate booth, Savepoint, was also cancelled because of course many of the threats were coming from their side.

http://www.sxsw.com/news/2015/sxsw-stat ... gh-forrest
On Monday, October 26, SXSW Interactive made the call to cancel two sessions for the 2016 event: "SavePoint: A Discussion on the Gaming Community" and "Level Up: Overcoming Harassment in Games." We had hoped that hosting these two discussions in March 2016 in Austin would lead to a valuable exchange of ideas on this very important topic.
However, in the seven days since announcing these two sessions, SXSW has received numerous threats of on-site violence related to this programming.

SXSW prides itself on being a big tent and a marketplace of diverse people and diverse ideas.

However, preserving the sanctity of the big tent at SXSW Interactive necessitates that we keep the dialogue civil and respectful. If people can not agree, disagree and embrace new ways of thinking in a safe and secure place that is free of online and offline harassment, then this marketplace of ideas is inevitably compromised.

Over the years, we are proud of the healthy community of digital innovators that has formed around SXSW. On occasions such as this one, this community necessitates strong management to survive. Maintaining civil and respectful dialogue within the big tent is more important than any particular session.

-- Hugh Forrest
SXSW Interactive Director
I can tell people I am a feminist. I am proud of that and nothing will change that. I am trans and queer and I can at least tell people I completely support all of the LGBTQ+ spectrum. But to call myself a gamer, I feel deep shame. To think this is how low people sink, it's pure disgust.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:47 am

On Monday, October 26, SXSW Interactive made the call to cancel two sessions for the 2016 event: "SavePoint: A Discussion on the Gaming Community" and "Level Up: Overcoming Harassment in Games." We had hoped that hosting these two discussions in March 2016 in Austin would lead to a valuable exchange of ideas on this very important topic.
haha no.
Empty Loot]To call myself a gamer wrote:
Why? You are an individual and are not defined by those who have things in common with you.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:24 am

Because what better way is there to prove a discussion on harassment is unnecessary than harassing the discussion until it goes away?

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:35 am

Well that was especially spineless.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:40 am

:shrug:

Not everyone wants to deal with extremists. I can't blame them really.

Really don't feel any shame, nor should I.

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:48 am

what damn cowards.
"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -
GET BETTER - dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Isn't SXSW a huge, huge event, with lots of security and guardian angels and all? And don't the filth work overtime during SXSW, to boot? I know the Wisconsin State Fair doesn't lack for assh*le cops beating drunks and minorities just for the f*ckin fun of it. Summerfest, too.

I mean, of course there's going to be threats. But you have to weigh them. Can there possibly be anyone so messed up he'd literally be willing to kill over this? And if so, what are the chances he's going to be at SXSW at that one moment, instead of working a double-shift at the lumberyard or babysitting his sister's kids or something. I ask you.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:53 pm

^ It's sensationalism, pretty much. Individuals and groups love this stuff, playing victim helps their narratives.

Kil'jaeden

Post by Kil'jaeden » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:08 pm

Does this make anyone ashamed of being anti-Gamergate? If not, then why should people on the Gamergate side all feel personally ashamed over this? Partisans of both sides have shown the same kinds of excesses.

I find it amazing how people managed to get social justice causes (like feminism and homosexuals) into an incident which was basically an internet mob going after Zoe Quinn over some comments from her ex. Granted, there was a lot of petty corruption in the "gaming press" dug up over this incident, if anyone even cares. Telling gamers that they are "dead" and using Sarkeesian's and Quinn's pity party to call all gamers harassers, bigots, racists, and so on did not help. Screw all of this nonsense. And especially, screw all the SJW crap that they have tried to inject into this. I don't want that anywhere near this issue because it ruins everything.
The man who is blind, deaf,and silent lives in peace.

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:30 pm

Wow, this thread took exactly one post to careen off of a cliff.

Please keep this civil. Both sides. 'Cause this thread is only a few more antagonizing posts away from being locked.
Carthago delendum est

Kil'jaeden

Post by Kil'jaeden » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:10 am

It is sad that people are even bothering about all this to try and shut people up at gatherings and conventions. Both sides want to do it, of course. Gamers play games, and that is basically it. None of this other stuff is needed, regardless of what Katherine Cross insists. Especially the attempt to make "gamer" a set label and then shame it. The whole Gamergate thing really should have died down by now. I don't like the pro-Gamergate side much either, because really, who cares about what goes on in gaming media that much? All the hotheaded ones are doing is giving the other side, which is also pretty bad, free victim cards and attention.

As for canceling both, they probably did it to seem fair. If they had canceled only one, the storm would be even worse. Though really, the announcement does not specify which one got the threats, who threatened who, and so on.
The man who is blind, deaf,and silent lives in peace.

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”