Well well. That wall is coming after all.

Moderators: I am nobody, Deku Tree

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:01 am

Taxing remittances is the obvious target - the flow of cash from illegal workers in the US etc back to Mexico forms an enormous chunk of their economy (as much as oil revenues IIRC). If that flow is threatened then the Mexicans can be brought to the table, willingly or not.
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Yeah, good luck with that.

Instead, they'll just send 'em all underground or through independent brokers to get around it. Just because the "One percenters" find ways around paying taxes via offshore accounts doesn't mean those schrodinger's immigrants won't either.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Boy, how party politics change things.

Edit: Should be titled, "Bill Clinton wanted to crack down on illegal immigrants without explicitly stating build a wall"
[MEDIA=youtube]4wxMTh_UzHM[/MEDIA]

Also, workface.
-I'm Vgfian

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Where did you find that one, /pol/?

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:10 pm

God dammit I hate videos with misleading titles. Nowhere did he say he wanted to build a wall, unless it was further or earlier in the same meeting and it was cut off, or from a totally different source. Here he just said cracking down on illegal aliens.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:19 pm

edit: nevermind, I don't need to be a dick about it.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:25 am

Maybe this will be better for you

In fact the very first wall between us and Mexico was a 300ft one built by Bill Clinton with explicit support from Hillary Clinton from what I know. It wasn't called a wall though, it was called a "border fence".

http://www.newstarget.com/2016-09-08-fa ... ed-it.html
Democrat presidential nominee Hillary Clinton has criticized Republican rival Donald Trump more than once about his idea to build a wall along the U.S. – Mexico border. She has insisted that our country is safe and we need to move on to more important issues.

Article by Kim Smith

Clinton’s past, however, tells another story — one that includes her husband and a border fence.

Former Clinton staffer Dick Morris reminded Americans recently — because the mainstream media certainly will not — that former President Bill Clinton built a 325-mile fence along the border between California and Mexico in 1993 with Hillary Clinton’s “strong support.”

In 2005, then-Sen. Clitnon said she was against illegal immigration and suggested the U.S. needed to come up with a system that keeps track of them. In 2006, she joined Senate Republicans and Democrats and voted for the “Secure Fence Act of 2006.”

In 2008, when she ran against then-Sen. Barack Obama for her party’s nomination, she had some rather interesting things to say about the border, they sounded surprisingly unlike her more recent rhetoric.

In fact, they sound a lot like what Trump might say.

Earlier this year, when asked about the border, Clinton admitted she had “voted numerous” times to spend money on “a barrier” (she was very careful not to use the word “wall”) to try to prevent illegal immigrants from entering the country.

But that was then, and this is now. Or something.

Watch what Morris said about Clinton and the border below:

It simply makes no sense to see Clinton constantly condemning Republicans and Trump for even thinking about building a wall to secure our borders.

So, which Hillary Clinton should we believe?

Honestly, neither.

The Clintons’ hypocrisy is not a joke, and it isn’t something conservatives made up just to make them look bad. It’s real, and Hillary Clinton’s conflicting statements on a border wall prove it.

These kinds of wishy-washy statements prove that Clinton will say anything to get votes — in case there’s anyone out there who still needed more evidence of that.
First video mentioned in the article:

[MEDIA=youtube]AlFi0QUboxs[/MEDIA]
-I'm Vgfian

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:33 am

The second video mentioned in the article:
[MEDIA=youtube]XmvwDxrEPds[/MEDIA]
-I'm Vgfian

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:34 am

a) Was that anywhere near the ridiculous project Trump described?
b) Did they ever claim they could make a foreign nation pay for it?
c) Have you forgotten how many of us don't like the Clintons either?

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:45 am

[QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1620302, member: 25169"]c) Have you forgotten how many of us don't like the Clintons either?

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"[/QUOTE]

Yes, actually.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:32 am

[QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1620302, member: 25169"]
c) Have you forgotten how many of us don't like the Clintons either?
[/QUOTE]

This. If Clinton built a wall, it was a moronic idea then as well, and it obviously accomplished nothing.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:42 am

The Clintons have been among the leaders of the Democratic party for decades, but many of their positions are no longer convenient.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Only '90's kids remember the Clintons.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:06 am

d) I'm not a Democrat.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 am

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1620319, member: 34539"]This. If Clinton built a wall, it was a moronic idea then as well, and it obviously accomplished nothing.[/QUOTE]
Well "Wall" is a strong word. They built a wire fence. It seems the Clintons can't even get barriers right. *shakes head*

Netanyahu says it's a good idea.
-I'm Vgfian

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:12 am

Israel's southern border is a hell of a lot shorter than the US's. Also, no it didn't.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:58 am

Also, can I just say - as a young liberal who has only been able to vote for 5 years - I'm tired of people associating me with baby boomer democratic ideology. Ooh, Democrats LOVED the Clintons, you're just whining about them now! Well, I'm not a Democrat and I'm 100% sick of the Democratic party's ******** after this election's primaries frankly, also sure maybe some crap seemed liberal for the 80's maybe? I wouldn't know? but is painfully moderate and lacking now. I've never liked the Clintons. They've never appealed to me. I don't like the Dem party in general. Times change. They're no literal fascist cheetos, sure, wouldn't have as good a chance starting WWIII, literally the lesser evil, might have done some real good too, but they still have Wall Street in their pockets & would just as readily press their fingers on drone strike buttons. (Obama, for all the local good he did accomplish, did that too.) I'm tired of the mainstream Dem party tendency to try appealing to moderate conservatives at the expense of liberal values... by which I mean human rights..... while the right pulls father right. I'm over the association that liberal = Democrat. It's getting less and less true, because while *people* may be more progressive, the *party* is falling way flat as it's too stuck in its ways.

[/rant]
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:50 pm

You say lesser evil, I say greater good. The 2016 platform was the most progressive in the party's history.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Leftists reliably vote Democrat, regardless of whether or not they wish that voting to also be a label.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:17 am

A time traveler from 1846:
"Oh boy, let's go to the far future. Hopefully this Mexican-American War will be a thing of the past and we will have moved on with this border dispute and have better relations."

*lands in 2017*

"Nope."
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”