Katie Rich's indefinite suspension from SNL over Baron Trump Joke

Moderators: I am nobody, Deku Tree

Bad Dragonite

Katie Rich's indefinite suspension from SNL over Baron Trump Joke

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:46 am

*Katie Rich
I don't think the joke was classy or well researched , it could've been funnier (you might even say it wasn't very Rich ;D ), but she's a comedy writer, you kind of expect her to make jokes and it was just a joke. I think firing her was going a bit far. What do you guys think?
-I'm Vgfian

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:09 am

Indefinite suspension might be going too far, but either way the kid needs to be left alone. He's 10.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:15 am

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1620350, member: 27765"]Indefinite suspension might be going too far, but either way the kid needs to be left alone. He's 10.[/QUOTE]
Well really she wasn't even targeting him, at least from what I can tell she meant it as in Trump is such an ass that his own son would want to shoot him.

Idk but I'm against her suspension for the same reason I'm glad South Park is still on the air. I mean SNL has every right to fire her, but eh.
-I'm Vgfian

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:41 am

[QUOTE="Bad Dragonite, post: 1620349, member: 32425"]*Katie Rich
I don't think the joke was classy or well researched , it could've been funnier (you might even say it wasn't very Rich ;D ), but she's a comedy writer, you kind of expect her to make jokes and it was just a joke. I think firing her was going a bit far. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]
That must've been some tasteless joke. I don't think it's fair to fire a comedy writer for suggesting something on edge, though. There's a fine line between funny and offensive for a lot of people. But whatever, I'm certain there's a lot of internal politics happening. She probably just picked a fight one too many times.

^ But honestly, that sounds like the kind of joke that gets you fired. Not because of the kid's involvement, but because joking about killing the president can incur action in the less sound of minds. Besides, the last thing any of us wants is for Trump to become a martyr for the nutjobs. Not necessarily that all of his supporters are nuts, but there's a lot of messed up people out there and some of them are obsessed with him.

I don't like censorship one bit. I don't blame the network if they didn't want to sell that message though, it would probably just hurt their viewership. Worse is if people tune in just to see the trainwreck unfold, which can get a show viewers early on but hurt the direction and reputation over time if that approach affects production methods. Just look at Family Guy.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:29 am

I don't know what the joke was but it probably shouldn't have resulted in this.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:16 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!, post: 1620363, member: 18119"]I don't know what the joke was but it probably shouldn't have resulted in this.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty dumb when you consider he isn't actually homeschooled.
Anyway she apologized ( which may have made things worse tbh)
-I'm Vgfian

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:29 am

It isn't even funny, just seems like a hateful comment for spite's sake. Still, it shouldn't affect her career.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:17 am

Fixed the title.

As for the story itself, "meh." Context matters for things like this, and while you'd absolutely get away with that joke on something like South Park, the expectations for SNL as a show and NBC as a company are very different than for South Park and Hallmark. (or whoever airs South Park. Pretty sure it's Hallmark, though.) I'm not very surprised that NBC doesn't want to be associated with jokes about the president being murdered by his own son, and although I'm obviously not a Trump fan in the slightest, I really doubt the consequences would have been any different if this joke had been made about any other recent president.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:08 pm

^ She'd also have been a racist if this was Obama.

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”