The State of the Mainstream Press

Moderators: I am nobody, Deku Tree

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:18 am

[QUOTE="Bad Dragonite, post: 1623324, member: 32425"]If you had a news organization constantly attacking you and constantly focusing on literal fake news just because it attaches your name to something bad, would you want them around?[/QUOTE] Would I want them around? Probably not.
Would I still allow them around because I'm the freaking POTUS & knew that such criticism was an unavoidable part of the job before I even started my campaign because I'm not a thin-skinned egomaniacal moron? Yes.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Bush Weighs In On Trump Presidency, Calling Press 'Indispensable to Democracy
I consider the media to be indispensable to democracy. We need an independent media to hold people like me to account. Power can be very addictive. And it can be corrosive. And it's important for the media to call to account people who abuse their power, whether it be here or elsewhere.
Man, I miss the thoughtfulness and eloquence of freaking George W. Bush now.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:40 pm

I don't trust none of them. Most people say they agree, but half of them still say the resolution is to simply add more.

Most of these words that used to be used to describe problems in society or extremist groups no longer are. They are just plain insults. Throw them at someone, see if they stick.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:47 am

Have you guys been keeping up with the whole situation of mainstream publications painting pewdiepie as a nazi?
-I'm Vgfian

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:56 am

As I understand it, his funding and network syndication was rescinded over his refusal not to make light of nazism as a real problem. I haven't read much in that regard.

I may as well say I would respond to Ihop but I'm not interested in talking to someone who doesn't understand their own conversation about the meta-policing qualities of things being 'considered' crimes versus things which are actually criminalised. Linking Fox videos which make irrational claims and selectively exclude information to prove a point which I've literally already debunked, yet for which I never received a direct response, is a definite way to ensure I stop listening.

None of you have actually been able to or made any argument as to why it's okay for any President to play favorites with the news media, or why this behavior does not directly affect the freedom of the press. If the state controls which media it interfaces with and the state makes false claims of news sources reporting 'fake' stories and describes them as 'failing' when they are not, it is not the same as a citizen sharing his opinion. Instead, it is a bias and if the claim is not explained and fought for, and names are not named, it is dishonest and slanderous.

Tazy is still off whining about his feelings and minimising the crimes of the far right. Even when someone tells a lie, such as that story Guild keeps dragging back up about CNN's involvement, despite it having been debunked. Not unlike the lie that Ihop keeps dragging back up about immigrants causing unusual crime spikes, even after it's been debunked.

Neither I nor anyone else should really be taking your words seriously if you can't even parse when you're shown why you are wrong with numbers and context. Your fears and minimisations are all as valid a concern as what happened in Sweden last night. Never forget those brave Swedes.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:14 am

I heard a bit. Boils down to political correctness and controlling humor. Maybe they should bind Pewbs with witchcraft. Speaking of which, I wonder if Trump's been bound yet? Did anybody here join in on the witchcraft binding of Trump?

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/02/25/w ... val-office

[MEDIA=youtube]XUoM6oX93Nc[/MEDIA]

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:18 am

Well basically it all spawned from a video he did on another video site called fiverr, where you pay someone five dollars to make a video saying, well whatever. The whole video was about how ridiculous the premise was so he paid some people, the fiverr funny guys, to hold up a sign that said "death to all Jews " and say out loud "subscribe to keemstar" and also paid fiverr Jesus to say "Hitler did nothing wrong" he didn't actually expect them to say those things, in fact he was himself surprised, but it definitely illustrated his point of how ridiculous the site could be. Mainstream outlets like the wall street journal decided to come out with an article (behind a paywall) and a video basically saying that he was a nazi sympathizer because of that joke and because he has had "nazi imagery " in his videos, while taking clips of his videos completely out of context (which is funny because one clip they use was from a video criticizing the msm doing that very thing (and also defeating themselves in the process because technically their own logic would qualify their own video for being nazi propaganda. ), and told his sponsors in expectance of them to drop him along with actually we found out a few days ago trying to pressure YouTube into fully demonetizing his channel, which they didn't do because he hasn't broken any guidelines. The fiverr guys got banned for a bit from the site, even though they apologized, but due to efforts from pdp and others they got their accounts back. He did make an apology for anyone who was offended by the joke and also said he understood why Disney and Maker dropped him and that he couldn't blame them because of all the pressure and he also pointed out many of the failings with their article. In their response they said his apology wasn't genuine or was half hearted and kinda continued to push the idea that he was a nazi sympathizer, using things like stormfront jokingly having pdp on their front banner and saying "number one pewdiepie fan site" (even though later they actually replaced it with "number one wall street journal fan site" and another meme filled joke picture of this time of the three writers of the original article.) They even cited him having a certain haircut as evidence that he was an anti-Semite. It's another example of obvious "fake news" and just proves even more so that there's a certain agenda. Some of the most well known Trump supporters, or even non Trump supporters even, who debunk the msm regularly get most of their audience from YouTube and they've been steadily growing while the mainstream publications have been dying off. It really comes off as a power play for them to be saying "hey we can do this to the biggest youtuber". I mean they even sent someone to either his mother's or his home address after the first article and his first response to "offer him a platform to defend himself" when if you look at the numbers their platform compared to his is completely and utterly dwarfed.
-I'm Vgfian

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:23 am

They went out of their way to try to get YouTube to demonetize him? That's f***ing bulls*** (in principle; I don't like Pewbs).

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:27 am

^^ That at least is a much more complete picture. That site sounds like a huge waste of bandwidth, that besides. Of course, PDP saying he actually meant it to sound absurd could easily be a lame defense. The retraction may have sounded honest, but it's also a question of whether or not he had history with other companies, etc.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:43 am

Well he definitely wasn't apologizing to the media, he ended off one of his responses with a middle finger saying "try again ****" after pointing out how it was a hit piece and because he's had similar attacks on his character before, just not quite to that extent. And I'm sure all of this is skewed a bit by my perspective, but if you want the full context it's hard to get but pdp's most recent response kinda goes in to some of those points, like how they changed their article titles, it how one of their reporters has literally made nazi jokes that were actually even more offensive on twitter before, etc. That's on his channel from just a few days ago.[DOUBLEPOST=1488285824,1488285489][/DOUBLEPOST]Also sorry if my posts are a bit wordy and unedited/hard to follow right now. I'm on mobile and it keeps glitching out for some reason.
-I'm Vgfian

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:54 am

[QUOTE="Bad Dragonite, post: 1623438, member: 32425"]Have you guys been keeping up with the whole situation of mainstream publications painting pewdiepie as a nazi?[/QUOTE] Aware of PewdiePie situation, yes. Mainstream publications, no. "Keeping up with", no.

Long story short, as I understand it: Pewdie made off-color jokes that could be construed as anti-semitic. Maker Studios dropped him, because they're Disney & they don't want to be associated with it, which is within their rights & fairly sensible. Anything beyond that is functionally irrelevant, because no one has ever gone to Pewdie-freaking-Pie for serious political commentary. Pewdie's entire act is & has always been being obnoxious, so it's very possible the jokes were blown out of proportion, but his general refusal to be serious about anything makes it hard to tell whether any retraction/apology/explanation/et cet is sincere.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 am

I wouldn't say it's sensible for Disney to drop someone over a joke, especially when they're responsible for Nazi Donald and Epic Rap Battles between Darth Vader VS Adolf Hitler.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:02 am

I haven't actually seen publications calling pewds a Nazi, but i had gathered from headlines here and there that he made anti-Semitic jokes and lost sponsorship for it.

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:26 pm

Pewdiepie went on fiverr, which is basically a site where people will do whatever you ask of them for five bucks, and paid them to hold a sign that said "Death to all Jews" to see if they would actually do it. They did.

Just to put context to the joke.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:37 pm

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1623465, member: 18119"]I wouldn't say it's sensible for Disney to drop someone over a joke, especially when they're responsible for Nazi Donald and Epic Rap Battles between Darth Vader VS Adolf Hitler.[/QUOTE] a) How is Disney responsible for Nazi Donald?
b) Epic Rap Battles had their brand & style established before signing on with Maker; they wouldn't force changes at that point. Pewdie's style was always--outside of the cussing--pretty family-friendly. And ERB certainly didn't paint Hitler positively.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:53 pm

The WSJ article on PDP is definitely one that tries to paint an image of him that isn't there.

Nazi Donald is from an anti-Nazi war cartoon in the 1940s. The company is also not responsible for the current president BAZINGA

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:58 pm

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1623478, member: 27765"]The WSJ article on PDP is definitely one that tries to paint an image of him that isn't there.
[/QUOTE]
Could be. Haven't read it. It just seems like an overreaction to claim that, as a monolith, mainstream media is eager to make a Nazi of him.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:32 pm

[QUOTE="My Potions Are Too Strong For You Traveller, post: 1623441, member: 25415"]

Tazy is still off whining about his feelings and minimising the crimes of the far right. Even when someone tells a lie, such as that story Guild keeps dragging back up about CNN's involvement, despite it having been debunked. Not unlike the lie that Ihop keeps dragging back up about immigrants causing unusual crime spikes, even after it's been debunked.

Neither I nor anyone else should really be taking your words seriously if you can't even parse when you're shown why you are wrong with numbers and context. Your fears and minimisations are all as valid a concern as what happened in Sweden last night. Never forget those brave Swedes.[/QUOTE]

So by pointing out that Liberals aren't pure good I'm "minimizing the crimes of the far right" and "whining". You could always make an actual point on what I've actually said instead of trying to make me answer for other people's conversations and character assassinate me.

This just in: I have to conduct large scale studies and enlist corporate spies to find info that no one releases if I want to make political conversation on Vee Gee Eff dot com. I supplied my argument with sources to back me up and if all you have to say in response is "Tazy's a whiner unless he supplies me with numbers from the SPJ proving his point" then whatever bar you're setting is too high even for you. You supplied no numbers or context and you know it. All you did was demand s**t from me.

And what's happening in Sweden that you have to bring it up here? That someone went on the Bill O Reilly show and lied? No. You mean a grenade attack in a Swedish suburb... Okay.

------------------------------------------------------
The Pewdiepie situation is an attempt to kneecap the youtube superstars getting more money and attention than news companies, more or less. They saw a bit of blood and jumped on it. Problem is that Pewdiepie has 53 million fans that have been turned to his side and other Youtubers are supporting him. News companies can't play the long game with this without it hurting them severely. They need Pewdiepie gone and unless Youtube bends to that need (which I doubt) he's just going to gain more popularity.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Funny I wasn't aware of Pewdiepie until this. I had never seen his videos and didn't know he existed other than the username Pewdiepie, which I always thought belonged to a girl Youtuber that I apparently mixed up.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:45 pm

As if the news media is threatened by Youtubers that make Minecraft videos, lol.

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”